This could have been a lot worse.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
back on topic for a sec:
..just wondering if it took a dose of pinto beans,
to blow the crimp outta ya backside?

I think it woulda took a large bowl for me!

Last edited:
Glad you're okay and it wasn't worse. Thanks for manning up and posting as it will help all of us be a little more awake while running our saws. New boots are on my list soon just because mine are so old but I won't skimp on them nowing what can happen.

Hope you heal well.

dustytools,

Thank heavens for thick boots :)

Might be time to get a dedicated limbing saw, something light and with a small bar just for limbs.
Shocking how often a heavy saw on a long day of limbing can catch something or go through semi uncontrolled.

I've had a few of those throw backs or weird pinches limbing with the same saw i used to fell with.
Quite a few years ago once the tree was on the ground the small limb saw went to work and the fell saw rested.
A few wakeup calls was all i needed to alter how i cut.

Thanks for sharing this. Glad it turned out (basically) ok.

Don't misunderstand me here, as I am not chastising any one or saying the cutting was done wrong. I wasn't there. However, one of the most common boo-boos I see involves operators cutting at partial throttle. Kickback is much easier to manage with full chain speeds. Also, the risk of derailing a chain is likewise greater if the operator is #####-footing along. WOT baby, that's the way!! After watching ground guys trying to cut off a lilac bush, honeysuckle etc. I can absolutely guarantee that the saw will almost certainly throw that chain if it isnt WOT.

That was just my .02 worth. And there's no charge for that unsolicited advice.....so you got what you didn't pay for!

dustytools,

Thank heavens for thick boots :)

Might be time to get a dedicated limbing saw, something light and with a small bar just for limbs.
Shocking how often a heavy saw on a long day of limbing can catch something or go through semi uncontrolled.

I've had a few of those throw backs or weird pinches limbing with the same saw i used to fell with.
Quite a few years ago once the tree was on the ground the small limb saw went to work and the fell saw rested.
A few wakeup calls was all i needed to alter how i cut.

Im glad it wasnt a big saw, I was using my 260. It was surely a wake up call. I will definitley slow down and pay more attention from now on.

Thanks for sharing this. Glad it turned out (basically) ok.

Don't misunderstand me here, as I am not chastising any one or saying the cutting was done wrong. I wasn't there. However, one of the most common boo-boos I see involves operators cutting at partial throttle. Kickback is much easier to manage with full chain speeds. Also, the risk of derailing a chain is likewise greater if the operator is #####-footing along. WOT baby, that's the way!! After watching ground guys trying to cut off a lilac bush, honeysuckle etc. I can absolutely guarantee that the saw will almost certainly throw that chain if it isnt WOT.

That was just my .02 worth. And there's no charge for that unsolicited advice.....so you got what you didn't pay for!

No harm, I appreciate yours and everyone elses input.

Im glad it wasnt a big saw, I was using my 260. It was surely a wake up call. I will definitley slow down and pay more attention from now on.

Happens to the best of us.
Atleast you just need a new boot so all is pretty good.

Dito for me happens when I'm getting tired or lazy, cutting to long or just trying to reach something a little to far to reach properly.

Back