This cylinder toast?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mahle recommends a bore brush with impregnated silicon carbide on the bristles to restore cross hatching and remove glaze on Nikasil cylinders.

You're right I should have been more specific. I never ran stone hones through plated cylinders. All brush/ball hones.

As long as @Yotaismygame doesn't mind I'd like to further this discussion and add some pictures. I took measurements around the ring and your eyes aren't lying to you when you look at that pic. My thoughts and opinions on this are just that, based on theories from things I've seen. I believe the rings purpose is partly to make up for the imperfections in the cylinder as well as create the seal for the piston. As the ring wears into the cylinder it creates a better seal around it's circumference, but the gap at the end increases. I've never considered these cylinders to be anywhere near a perfect circle, and I feel like chasing it by removing material on purpose is not the best route. You can see from the piston that even from the factory the seal is imperfect. This unit has around 400 hours of run time, with very little WOT time. Thoughts?
View attachment 786605 View attachment 786606 View attachment 786607 View attachment 786608

I have a 30 year old 036 , that I take care of, that has more machine marks left than that piston, ex port side.

Silicon carbide is generally massive overkill in a used plated chainsaw cylinder. It becomes much easier/faster to remove too much plating using a typical silicon carbide or “diamond” regardless of the type of hone such as ball, bristle or stone.

The goal being to unify a surface while removing as little of the surface as possible. I would rather spend more time lightly honing then less time aggressively honing. Looking at maybe 5-10 minutes of effort to hone a used plated chainsaw cylinder, almost all of which is spent inspecting the cylinder between hones. Going to spend way more time cleaning the cylinder before and after than the actual process of honing.

Never timed it, however going through the motions it looks like around 30 seconds of aluminum oxide rigid stone or ball hone spinning in the cylinder,tops. This amount of time is going to be affected by the fit of the hone, condition of hone and cylinder, and speed of machine powering the hone, that being said cannot think that a used cylinder that could/would benefit from a honing that was worth saving to begin with would exceed that amount of time.

Now if you are talking about any brand of aftermarket cylinder, yeah, you might be there awhile. New out of the box, clean it, inspect it, roll eyes, finish port chamfers and or everything, clean it, hone it, clean it, repeat until usable, then do the same to the piston.

Back