This cylinder toast?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yotaismygame

Juiced Saws #GetJuiced
Reaction score
This will be a saw I’m selling. Had a lot of transfer on it. Ended up sanding through the platting on the bottom of the port. I’m thinking it’s done for. What do you think?
3940A3CE-DBBA-4B74-A745-B43EB98B3C94.jpeg

Those look deep. And they are to far down to say porting will remove them.

But im no expert. So don’t listen to me.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Those look deep. And they are to far down to say porting will remove them.

But im no expert. So don’t listen to me.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Talking about the worn off platting. Few scratches you can feel but will be fine.

What were you using to remove the transfer?

I'm still a fan of using acid if there is no scores through the plating then hand sanding with wet/dry after that. Using powered stuff can remove more than you need.

If you use acid, hand sand first with wet/dry and detergent. You have to remove all oils for acid to do it's thing on aluminum transfer

I started with sanding but got nervous about the platting so I switched to acid. But then got a little impatient and did more sanding. I still have just a little more transfer to remove about the port otherwise it’s good to go.

Also I will be porting and machining this cylinder. Does that change anyone’s mind?

I started with sanding but got nervous about the platting so I switched to acid. But then got a little impatient and did more sanding. I still have just a little more transfer to remove about the port otherwise it’s good to go.

Be careful with acid anywhere near the ports/edge of plating and any scores through the plating; it can eat underneath good plating. Have water w/baking soda for splashes/mistakes

PS. if you put a film of grease on the port chamfers, with a q-tip, the acid won't be able to hurt things, same deep scores.

Silk purse out of a sow's ear?

Might be good for practice or trying different mods.

Would you want to spend a lot of time on it for a saw you wanted to last?

Let us know how it lasts. It might surprise us.

Yes I’m worried about spending time on a less than perfect cylinder. But everything is good and smooth. I’m leaning towards finding another cylinder

Since this is going to be a customer's saw, I'd find another jug. That small chip out of the plating below and to the right side
of the exhaust port will likely be problematic. If your guy was ever to push the saw hard with a dull chain or put it into a hard
service scenario like milling or stumping, that area could lose more plating. If it didn't have that one chip in it, then I would
have said you're good to go.

Since this is going to be a customer's saw, I'd find another jug. That small chip out of the plating below and to the right side
of the exhaust port will likely be problematic. If your guy was ever to push the saw hard with a dull chain or put it into a hard
service scenario like milling or stumping, that area could lose more plating. If it didn't have that one chip in it, then I would
have said you're good to go.

There's no chipping at all. Just sanded off platting. I'm going to source another cylinder. I'm thinking if it's questionable I should replace it.

Back