This guy is VERY happy tonight

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never paid for a single stick of firewood in my life. However if i didnt have 14 cords of scrouged hardwood saved up i would definitly consider it. i can get a gractor trailor load of white birch in my area for 1600 and that is the best price i could find. your makin out like a bandit at 800 per load. love the yard..do the neigbbors burn wood? Hehehe

Thanks for the compliment. The neighbors do not burn, so that is good.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk 2

I have never paid for a single stick of firewood in my life. However if i didnt have 14 cords of scrouged hardwood saved up i would definitly consider it. i can get a gractor trailor load of white birch in my area for 1600 and that is the best price i could find. your makin out like a bandit at 800 per load. love the yard..do the neigbbors burn wood? Hehehe

I used to think I would never pay for wood also, then one day i woke up and realized, I aint the spring chicken I once was. Something else I learned and that was to do math. I figured out that even tho i was still perfectly able to go in the woods and cut timber, it wasnt free to do so. I value my time since I have so little of it. Most folks dont have a clue as how to figure their cost. You will always hear someone say, I already own a truck so using it doesnt cost me any thing. I already have a chainsaw, so using it doesnt cost me anything. I only work in my off hours so my time doesnt count. Bullcrap! You wear your truck out or damage it, it cost to fix or replace. You wear your saw out and it cost you to replace it. Your time doesnt count, well only you can put a value on what your time is worth. It should at least be worth what your current real job pays you. Add those wages to the "gather it yourself free firewood" and see how the numbers work out. Buying wood is expensive, ( dont know i would pay $1600 for a load of birch), but $800 for a couple of years worth of wood doesnt seem that bad to me. Even then, I still have to process it, but the work smarter, not harder mode applies here to. I built a splitter out of mostly scrap metal and leftover parts. I might have bought a few bolts. I Did buy a twostage pump, but I had a good pump that worked just fine. I wanted speed and power. I mounted a old cable boom to make lifting easier. I added a 6way blade to make splitting faster. I got a couple of conveyors I will eventually put in the mix.

Then I gather up my boys and grandkids and we get'er done in a day. Momma cooks chicken and dumplins and tater salad and nanner pudding, to keep us fed while we work. Thats the smart part. ;)

I hear ya on the expenses and i realize that my time and truck are worth something. that is why i charge to cut down about 50 pecent of all the trees i scouged. i also sell my extra wood to make a profit on top of filling my 6 cord wood room each year. This year was a really good year for me. also i build the best splitter ever..it works so good i never get to use it cause the wife splits all my wood..bahaha

I hear ya on the expenses and i realize that my time and truck are worth something. that is why i charge to cut down about 50 pecent of all the trees i scouged. i also sell my extra wood to make a profit on top of filling my 6 cord wood room each year. This year was a really good year for me. also i build the best splitter ever..it works so good i never get to use it cause the wife splits all my wood..bahaha
Now thats what I call working smarter. Post pics of that badboy splitter and maybe one or two of your wife:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Does she know you took those pictures. If she did I'm sure she would have changed her footwear. LOL

I keep telling her safty sandles dont cut it...she didnt know i took that pic either. i was inside the aircondition house looking out the window..lol

Poor girl you got her running a stihl,just kidding. My wife actually pointed out two saws to me today, I could even tell in her tone of voice I had the green light to grab'em if I wanted. Sadly two ms170's, poop. What's she running 260?

I just can't wrap my head around paying for wood to heat. By the time you buy it, cut it, split it, stack it and do all the work that comes with it are you really saving any money?
If it makes you happy go for it, to each their own but if i had to buy my wood i wouldnt burn. Guess my main reason to heat with wood is saving money.
What is your time worth? Logging the 30 cords a year that I need costs me about $100 a cord just to get the logs to my yard, the same as if I pay someone to bring me a truck load. It costs another $100 a cord to buck and split. Wood costs me $200 a cord no matter how I look at it. However, with heating fuel in my parts being at $4 a gallon, wood works out to be 1/2 as expensive to heat with.

And look she cuts wood too..bahahah..i know when i got a good thing...View attachment 374729

Not being a safety-nazi, but you might want to ease her in the direction of avoiding that left-handed grip on the saw. When (nof if) she experiences a kickback, her head is square in the "sights" of the chain. Not good. Right-handed only, even if you're a natural leftie.

Was talking to a log truck driver today. He said that deal with clearing and grinding is hitting around here, too, and soon will be real common. They take every piece that isn't destined for lumber and giant tub grind it, sell it off to..whatever "biomass" places. Plus he said the landowners are preferring it that way, they don't want heaps of tops laying around.

Not being a safety-nazi, but you might want to ease her in the direction of avoiding that left-handed grip on the saw. When (nof if) she experiences a kickback, her head is square in the "sights" of the chain. Not good. Right-handed only, even if you're a natural leftie.
post 55

And some safety gear.

Our log guy just showed up. Another 13....I mean 10 cords of ash, red maple, and paper birch.

Here he is putting in 5 grabs right into the cutting area and the rest is going to the log yard.

EF9B42C4-20A6-40B3-9657-908C69BB658C_zps8jx9cx91.jpg

ETA :

The reloaded cutting area.
C7868C5C-0606-4D7D-AC88-16BD45541FEF_zps1cw3ljua.jpg

Freshened up log yard.
021C6E13-F57D-4298-8C7D-234C1CDD7497_zpsgs6kdofa.jpg

Latest posts

Back