This tree is mystifying. What is it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ForTheArborist

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
The General Contractors doing the building there asked me about the tree when I came out to do a removal for them. They said their landscapers said it's an Oak, and it has a fungus on the leaves. It definitely has something on those leaves like dirty soot that can be wiped clean. The leaves don't seem to be damaged though - none at all. The tree looks in good health to me, so I became suspicious about the landscapers. They might be right, but they also might be trying to up sell the GCs.

Can someone identify the tree species, and if that stuff on the leaves is normal?

They wanted me to go ahead and prune the thing at first(ANSI standard prunes) which usually takes 1/4 to 1/3 of the canopy away. I said if it has something wrong with it, and it is not being watered regularly, the stress of the pruning cuts may simply kill it. I advised them not to get anything done with it until they get it irrigated. Now I'm just doing them a favor by checking with people who know more about this one.

I just got a minute to sit down, and put this online. I have to get some work around here down, and I'm FINALLY taking a few days off by going to Yosemite. So I won't be able to post until I get back.

DVC00601.jpg

DVC00606.jpg

DVC00605.jpg

DVC00604.jpg

DVC00603.jpg

DVC00602.jpg

Looks like a canyon live oak and by seeing the base of that tree it has more problems than black soot. You are reading ANSI wrong if you think you would be removing up to a third of the canopy. Those oaks shoud be 'Crown clean', not 'Crown thin'.
Jeff

Looks like a canyon live oak and by seeing the base of that tree it has more problems than black soot. You are reading ANSI wrong if you think you would be removing up to a third of the canopy. Those oaks shoud be 'Crown clean', not 'Crown thin'.
Jeff

Yup it also seems planted too deep!

Street on one side, sidewalk, stop sign obstruction, planted too deep, trunk damage, black soot hmmmmmmm :monkey:

PS: almost forgot under ground construction in critical root zone :monkey:

Worth saving? Thats the owners call, however; mere pruning wont obtain that goal, likely have to get down to the root of the problem!

Last edited:
It's worth it to keep it? What about prune it?

Hey! Kinda missed ya around here! You know what I mean. :) Anyway, to do nothing to those trees or tree, (I am assuming there are more on this job, maybe wrong), would be better than trying to prune them unless they just need 7' over the sidewalk and 14' over the street. Me, I would call Brigg's Tree' and get a price on some nice crepe myrtle. Those or that tree has been abused too long. Maybe you up-sell it to a removal and re-plant and maintenance.
Jeff :)

Street on one side, sidewalk, stop sign obstruction, planted too deep, trunk damage, black soot hmmmmmmm :monkey:

Yup, and look at the base, Rope. What do you see? Girdling can take a long time to kill the tree. Also, I recognize the area by the KFC sign. Ha! Why put a tree in front of a stop sign on that street?
Get rid of it, plant a palm.
:cheers:

FTA....you sure you`ll have the time? someone said your still working on removing that pine!!! LOL

LXT.............

FTA....you sure you`ll have the time? someone said your still working on removing that pine!!! LOL

LXT.............

You funny bastard!!! We are trying to be friends with him instead of just a book of knowledge!!!Silly guy!!!!! :cheers: At least he knows where to get his resources. That is part of it. I think he passed our 'Hazing" and we should let up. Except in the 'Joke Forum!' Sorry, FTA!
Jeff

I was just having fun!!! FTA....I give you credit for posting. You will learn alot on here & just give it back every now n then, tis what makes this site awesome!

LXT................

Yup, and look at the base, Rope. What do you see? Girdling can take a long time to kill the tree. Also, I recognize the area by the KFC sign. Ha! Why put a tree in front of a stop sign on that street?
Get rid of it, plant a palm.
:cheers:

Well I see some definite signs of vascular problems, could be girdling its too deep no flare, so much wrong, including planting location. It could be on the cover of tree torture magazine:monkey:

Latest posts

Back