This weeks job

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
inspiring

Fantastic job mate, im studying Arboriculture at moment, and all i can say is that i hope i can run as smooth a crew as this one day! truly inspiring to us infants in the field!

" you have to touch a tree, and feel it" - Shigo

I like the fact that I can say : YOU DA RIPPA!. Now tell me that rip wasn't a brow raiser for the groundies. I would like to see the picture of you cutting it.
You only need a little peel material for control of a big log but if you can control weight with a huge gash like that predictably then you got something.
By no means am I picking at you, well I am, but what I saw looked a little sketchy ( to me). It looks a little hackish to some. Me to on that but with good reason. Please be aware that what I think is sketchy usually, by sane men, is. I can be proven wrong and in some cases it is nessasary.
You ought not to be ripping like that when 1. you don't need to 2. its dangerous 3. can you argue with 1 and 2? Don't bother, I will get the book.

I no theirs a whole bunch of ways to get that log on the ground, could have easly put a bull rope in it and lowered real safe no need to. I'm glad it got ripped in instead of having to do that. Whats not safe about it if everybody Knows whats going on. Thats fine if you don't like it.That wasn't me cutting, But please don't use the the hack word, were far from that and they are fighting words to me.Were working right off Rt.3 just outside Phili. not far from you, come show us how it's done or we can show you.

Last edited:
I no theirs a whole bunch of ways to get that log on the ground, could have easly put a bull rope in it and lowered real safe no need to. I'm glad it got ripped in instead of having to do that. Whats not safe about it if everybody Knows whats going on. Thats fine if you don't like it.That wasn't me cutting, But please don't use the the hack word, were far from that and they are fighting words to me.Were working right off Rt.3 just outside Phili. not far from you, come show us how it's done or we can show you.

Newton Square? Broomall? hey? who ain't a little hackish? So listen, if you could give details on the placement of the guy who cut it and what he cut it with I could most likely find easy reason to deem it dangerous.
Unless the guy had real long arms I would think he put himself in a very improper situation. Not only that but that rip below that guy so high is sort of a foopah. Why rip out structure and support? Disassembly.
Its a big deal, it really is. Go ahead and give us an account of the cut taking place, you will see.
But then again there is the slight chance that I am wrong but it looks, uhm, not good. I recomend another tactic.
Use the mechanics involved with the basic cutting techniques, seek this out and be forever watchful and keen to what transpires when certain cuts are made. I don't think I would have undercut that piece either, just would not have let it rip out so much.
I make mistakes which means I make bad cuts, I try REALLY hard not to but it happens. So whats up? Do you think of a safer better way?

Nice pictures...impressive!

I have a few questions about the rip cuts...and you're right, who cares as long as its a takedown in the end. I just find it interesting to know what contributes to certain decisions or methods in our work.

I am NOT asking this to stir the pot, I am genuinely interested!

I assume you did it so they would hold longer and fall closer to the base of the tree?
How much control do you get over the accuracy of the drop with a rip cut?
Did anyone have any uhoh moments, like the fibres catching the saw before or as the pieces started to go?

Ok hear goes

In one of the pics their is a large sycamore stump already down, that tree was topped and dropped on the 1st day sorry no pics the leader with the rip was in the way and was topped out from the bigger tree the climber swung over and made that cut, should he have used a bigger saw? Yes Hey dan who sings that song? I am the ripper man :)

That song would be "more human than human" by white zombie.

Down on route 3 that's some windshield time for you guys.

Their take downs who cares?

Slash em up! Nice! I had this a hole ex boss that wasnt even licenced that tried that "we dont make rip cuts, even on a takedown" crap, as long as you know what kind of wood yer dealin with and got good positioning #@$@ it. Easier than spending the extra energy boxing and all that plus they come down slower in a situation like that, so maybe less chance of a log bouncing into traffic there. Also I like the disrespectin the tree factor-dont get me wrong I handsaw tips and all that too but.....its a takedown now, it has become the enemy. :laugh:

That song would be "more human than human" by white zombie.

Down on route 3 that's some windshield time for you guys.

Yeah man that's the song. It's about 45 min. to an hour drive, the job is on darby Rd. by the old mental hospital We finished that section today other than the stumps still have to grind them. tomorrow were gonna be on Darby creek Rd.

work2023.jpg
The last tree on that section in the rain.

Slash em up! Nice! I had this a hole ex boss that wasnt even licenced that tried that "we dont make rip cuts, even on a takedown" crap, as long as you know what kind of wood yer dealin with and got good positioning #@$@ it. Easier than spending the extra energy boxing and all that plus they come down slower in a situation like that, so maybe less chance of a log bouncing into traffic there. Also I like the disrespectin the tree factor-dont get me wrong I handsaw tips and all that too but.....its a takedown now, it has become the enemy. :laugh:

The real enemies on that job beside the trees are the Aholes that live around there, we had two cars just ignore the flagers one old dude in a bentz almost hit me, the next guy we stopped and asked what was the reason you went around the guy standing in front of you with a STOP sign. His answer was he just F up and wasn't paying attention and was very sorry. Head up his AZZ.

Last edited by a moderator:
The worst one I saw was a lady drove around the truck with hazards flashing, over a cone, through the tape and actually drove into the pull line that was redirected off of another truck.

Lucky us, the general contractor had not pulled permits to close the road :eek:

The real enemies on that job beside the trees are the Aholes that live around there, we had two cars just ignore the flagers one old dude in a bentz almost hit me, the next guy we stopped and asked what was the reason you went around the guy standing in front of you with a STOP sign. His answer was he just F up and wasn't paying attention and was very sorry. Head up his AZZ.

Sounds like you need a quick review of traffic control: First- make sure there is a nice size chunk-o-wood under your road cones. It'll stop most vehicles. Second- replace the flimsy wooden or plastic stop sign pole with a heavy peice off steel- its good for adjusting the side mirrors. If you can't seem to get the adjustment right just take the F-in mirror off, have a crew member punch you in the arm, call the cops and say they hit you as the sped through. Third- make em know you are nuts and would rather die than to let any pass the road. Do this with ira#### bodily movements but always stay alert. Four- air horn or a stick with nails for when they do.
This is just a rudimentry guideline but with proper use you can achieve a safe work zone on the road. Don't waste your money on those signs that say "tree work ahead" as nobody has time to look up anyway.
Don't go thinking I was trying to mess with you about the rip, I was aliitle, but I wasn't trying to be a picture perfect prick, I just want you to realize how something so small can be so big. I don't let things rip that much for a reason.

Nice pictures...impressive!

I have a few questions about the rip cuts...and you're right, who cares as long as its a takedown in the end. I just find it interesting to know what contributes to certain decisions or methods in our work.

I am NOT asking this to stir the pot, I am genuinely interested!

I assume you did it so they would hold longer and fall closer to the base of the tree?
How much control do you get over the accuracy of the drop with a rip cut?
Did anyone have any uhoh moments, like the fibres catching the saw before or as the pieces started to go?

Come on dude! That's what I asked. Seems like I ain't the only one thinking the same thing.

See, I was picturing the climber went out farther and hacked that leader off either with a notch or from the tips rip em whatever just to clear the road, then was just feeling a little lazy and maybe felt like disrespectin the tree some and just lettin gravity take over as he ripped off the logs they, look pretty simple to me, just a nice set up and presentation with the traffic control and ppe and all that-also what a nice job for showin off yer log truck as well! Oh, and nice equipment! Is that an 1800 slayer? what motor, how much hp??

never mind him insulting you bud he's trying to steal your name too!

thanks for the work pics. good stuff.

Just for the record I didn't call anyone a hack but I did make up RIPPA MAN cause its true!
Watch where you try that, you might rip out more than you bargined for , Am I RIGHT?

Latest posts

Back