2 Crane Jobs in One Day

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manwithsaw

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm setting up my first crane rental and have two jobs, within 5 minutes of each other, I'd like to knock out.

I'll be climbing and doing prep and cleanup. After the first short job I'd like the crane owner/operator to hop over to the second job with me.

Is this standard practice?

I'm setting up my first crane rental and have two jobs, within 5 minutes of each other, I'd like to knock out.

I'll be climbing and doing prep and cleanup. After the first short job I'd like the crane owner/operator to hop over to the second job with me.

As long as his time is paid for what should he care.

I would definitely let the company know that is your plan in advance and not spring it on them. They may charge an additional fee per setup. After all, I'm sure you do.

if its within the time frame you gave him then i don't understand why he would care
Well, tell me you haven't set up a crane without telling me you haven't set up a crane... it's kind of like saying it's just one more branch, 50' up...

Cranes I've rented were by the hour, didn't matter how many times we had to break down the jib and move 25 feet.

If the crane sat and did nothing for 2 hours I still paid for the hours it was with me.
Most crane companies charge " portal to portal" for moves. Mostly for permit loads that require support equipment such as trucks and pilots. If your job does not require these ,,, you will likely only pay a flat rate . If the machine remains put together,, just moved , it should be the same hourly/daily rate.. They may charge extra for specialty rigging equipment if it is a requirement (spreaders, equalizer sheaves, chain falls, man baskets ). Man baskets are very expensive to certify and the liability insurance is immense.. Hopefully you won't need that stuff.

Cranes I've rented were by the hour, didn't matter how many times we had to break down the jib and move 25 feet.

If the crane sat and did nothing for 2 hours I still paid for the hours it was with me.
...and you pay for the time when it leaves their yard or from the previous job they were on (usually whichever is closer). Give them info, and they can help you work things out, maybe schedule it so they stop at your site in the afternoon on a return trip from booming some trusses onto a house frame in the morning. My experience is from the construction industry, but I am pretty sure it works the same for the crane companies and tree-climbers.

FWIW, in my area, from ALL Crane, and my local small company I use, multiple setups/multiple jobs in one day are just billed hourly like normal, if I want to go do 2 or 3 jobs in a day, it cost the same as one long job

call and ask the crane company, they will have it in the price sheet if they charge extra, otherwise it'll be the hourly rate from the time the crane leaves the shop till the time it shows back up at the shop

also beware, some companies (my local ALL Crane for one) will not leave the last job of the day till you pay them, so you better have cash on hand (or big companies its check or credit card only)

I charge portal to portal. Don’t care how many setups there is. Now I will charge extra for each setup if I have to lay MATTS each time. If I pull a Matt off the truck it cost money other then that it’s 4hr minimum and portal to portal and I will skip lunch without hesitation. My prices also very dependent on how skilled the individuals I’m working with are. Regardless if it’s tree work or truss setting you make my day easier I’ll be easier on your wallet. I give them my max hr rate and my minimum and tell them up front you pay for stupidity. Only ever left one job site dude was a want to be climber and didn’t have it in him to set up the picks correctly. Crane work is all about being smooth and static. Also take your time don’t be in a rush if an hr or two breaks the bank on the crane then you should not have it there in the first place. Get a feel for the tree you’re working in. Do some small picks. Check the weights.

Back