This weeks job

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
look it up in the dictionary homey. 3rd definition of a buzzard is an avaricious or otherwise unpleasant person. welcome to the committee. whats a committee you ask? why its a gathering of buzzards. not a flock but a committee.

and someone posted by the name treeslayer calling the real tree slayer out. wang pay attention!

I always took it to mean old and crotchety and the last thing I am is greedy exceptin when it come to eating Reeses Cups, which this Easter I estimate about 4 pounds. I thought your quote at the bottom meant you supervised a bunch of old and crotchety guys. But thanks for the welcome.
Who is wang? Does he have a tree company?

]

for example: like when you reach behind a limb and make a cut (think 2"-4"limb) and you glance at it and it looks good. so you venture on to another place in the tree and glance back at it again and notice that one side is a little higher than the other, it's not a flat cut but angled on either the side or the top or bottom. at the right angle it looks like a dog ear. it might be an ohio thing. when i did tree work in california i never heard it.

Not tryin to be an ass here, but while I was in school my instructor told us that pruning cuts should be made with a slight overhang on the top whenever possible to prevent water from settling in the wound... your post just made it pop out from somewhere way back in my head lol, is that true?

Not tryin to be an ass here, but while I was in school my instructor told us that pruning cuts should be made with a slight overhang on the top whenever possible to prevent water from settling in the wound... your post just made it pop out from somewhere way back in my head lol, is that true?

the only thing i've ever heard along those lines is that if you make a heading cut to do it away from the southern exposure to avoid sun scald and at an angle to keep water from pooling. i think i actually read that in an arborists news regarding repairing badly ice damaged trees.

generally speaking however, i would do all cuts just outside the branch bark ridge at whatever angle (or not) is appropriate to make a proper cut. it sounds like your instructor was either ill informed or you didn't quite understand. i hope this helps. good luck with your continuing education.

kevin

I'd go with the misunderstanding. There is some reasoning for sloping a cut for water runoff, but perpendicular to the fibers reduces overall surface area of the cut, so sometimes the tradeoff is not worth it.

The article you saw was probably Guy M's and I've seen it before long before he published it. The reason here is because you are cutting at a bid branch node where there is no collar to cut to.

Because of it is seldom needed and time limits on dialog, proper pruning has been condensed to collar cuts. This is problematic because in storm mitigation you end up butchering trees more then need. Nodal pruning is in the standards. (not implying anyone said it was not, just on the soapbox)

Then there is the more frequent case where there is no collar due to the branch originating from a bud secondary to the terminal.

I call this primary and secondary branching, primary is the above mentioned, where the branch pith is conjoined with the stem. They are effectively codominant, though in a branch:stem relationship. They usually have much more vigor and caliper then a secondary (collared) branch and there is no branch protection zone in the fibers.

IMO primary branches should be removed, or controlled young, but I've digressed enough and will leave this for future discussion.

Thanks for the pics. I like the fact that you are in one of the best beer towns in the usa!

We don't get yuengling in ohio!

look it up in the dictionary homey. 3rd definition of a buzzard is an avaricious or otherwise unpleasant person. welcome to the committee. whats a committee you ask? why its a gathering of buzzards. not a flock but a committee.

and someone posted by the name treeslayer calling the real tree slayer out. wang pay attention!

thats why i post alot of my sh1t.

man do i hate those f'n things.

i try to rub dirt on it. lol

Oldirty, just for the record, I caught that Wang bit, nice. Seems to have slipped by most.

What a s#!t show this thread turned into. For those of you nitpicking the guy who started this thread, why don't you post some pics and see if we can't find anything wrong with them??:buttkick:

Man some of these guys on hear remind me of back when I use to race motocross, Lot of talking but when it comes time to back it up on the track they suck. We called them posers. But I think it would be real hard for the nitpickers to post pictures of there one man band working, kinda like a one legged man trying to kick his own ass. Come on lets see some pics POSERS.

Next site

work3004.jpg

Latest posts

Back