Thought you heard it all, so did I, not so

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THALL10326

The Champ
Reaction score
I've heard some wild tales about shops and repairs in my day but today I heard the all time best to date. Today a man came in and asked me how much a clutch cost for a 290 Stihl. I checked, told him around $56.00 for the whole clutch assembly. He says I'm going to have to get one, mine is gone. I go you sure about that, clutches tend to last a long time. He says they lost my clutch. I go who lost your clutch. He says the repair place lost it. I go huh, whathca mean they lost it. He says my saw quite oiling so I took it over to the rental center to have it checked out. They put a new oil pump in it plus charge me 85.00 for labor to do it. He says I go pick up my saw, pay the bill and go home. I get home and fire up the saw and notice the chain isn't turning. I take off the bar and chain and fire it up again and notice the sprocket isn't turning. I remove the sprocket and there's no clutch behind it. I'm like ya gotta be kidding.

He says I take the saw back and tell them they didn't put the clutch back in when they replaced the oil pump, they tell me I'm crazy. I demand my clutch and they say its in the saw. I show them the saw and ask again where is my clutch. I go you mean to tell me you showed them your saw without the clutch, he goes yeah. I say ok, what did they say. They tell me they are not going to do anything about it, I go you got to be kidding, he says no, thats why I'm here to buy a new clutch. I say no no no, you go back overthere and you raise t-total hell and get your clutch back, if you don't get it then you come back here.

I've heard some good ones but I beleive thats the best horror shop story I've ever heard. I got a few used 290 clutches laying around, if they don't fix him up I'll give him one. Can't wait to hear the end result when he goes back and throws a fit, it should be a dandy. If they don't give him his clutch I may have to get on the phone and become THALL, Esquire. I sense alot of fun in this deal....

Any of you guys ever had a run in like that, if so share..

I got a few used 290 clutches laying around, if they don't fix him up I'll give him one.

Rep'd you for that....
...and that story takes the cake. I wouldn't have left w/o my clutch or a new saw; their call.

Other than the Stihl dealer not wanting to cut a .404 chain to fit a buddys 660 McCulloch because they do not have time to work on old saws, here is the kicker, they charge $1.10 a driver for .404, I told him to go to the Echo dealer, he has a few loops of .404 and will make any size chain for .25 cents a driver. I can't top a missing clutch.

Very interesting. When I worked in the elevator trade I told my boss about 5 times when my vacation was scheduled. After I came back from vacation he called me into his office and chewed me out for not telling him that I would be on vacation. Like I just took a week off and didn't say a thing about it.

Well I was working when he was gone.

Tom, how much would you charge for replacing an oil pump? Would you charge extra to get the clutch back on? :hmm3grin2orange:

That one takes the cake, Tom.

No kididng, I've never heard such a dayumm thing as that. I thought for a minute he was pulling my leg but as he told the whole story I'm like this man isn't kidding. I never heard such a deal as that, unreal...

Tom, how much would you charge for replacing an oil pump? Would you charge extra to get the clutch back on? :hmm3grin2orange:

Replace a oil pump on a 290, 20 minutes and thats back together with the clutch, unreal, they got up in his kidneys, DEEP............

Ya think maybe the shop thought the customer wouldn't notice?

I'm curious how they confirmed the new oil pump was oiling the chain? Maybe they are so confident in their work they don't need to "test".

Ya think maybe the shop thought the customer wouldn't notice?

I'm curious how they confirmed the new oil pump was oiling the chain? Maybe they are so confident in their work they don't need to "test".

Exactly, some crazy stuff going on at that place, wow..

I can top it. I heard of one Stihlership that won't even sharpen chains and insists that you buy new! Heck, they don't even offer Vaseline when you go in there!

Last edited:
Wow! Problem is they will probaly say that he took it off when he got home and then came back trying to get a free clutch. That is why I test EVERYTHING before I leave the parking lot anymore. Too many bad experiences, not just with saws, but with shops and businesses in general. Why is it most places dont realize they earn their living from their customers? No customers= no income.

All that being said, people will go to extremes to screw places over and get things for free. So i understand if businesses are skeptical of customers stories.

Hope it works out for the guy, maybe he can somehow prove he is in the right. If not, rep shot to you for helping him out!

I got one for ya.

I bought a ht75 from a large dealership last year, I spend about $15k~$20k/year there. Get it out to the job, and it vibrates like crazy and wont spin the chain at any sort of usable speed, wont cut a thing. Take it back same day and they instantly accuse me of bending the shaft. I tell 'em it's not bent. Minor arguments. They agree to take a look, but if the shaft is bent they will charge me for the repair.

A week goes by and I get a call to go pick it up. Turns out it was missing a bunch of spring supports/spacer inside the shaft, from the factory. The accused me of stripping it down and removing the spacers! I probably lost more money in down time from not having the saw (hired one) and lost income from trips back and forth to the shop than what the saw was worth.

Needless to say I don't ship there any more. They recently lost their dealership anyhow. I wish I could say I found a better dealer up the road.

I had to go across the ocean, found Nmurph instead. I'd like to shout that guy a beer or 10!

Shaun

Can't come close to OP's story. Closest is Ace Hdwre (Stihl dealer) charges $14.00 to sharpen a chain. My rule when you pickup a saw or weedeater (for pay or free): Start it before you leave. I am not perfect. I do occasinally make mistakes. I try real hard not to tho.
Shep

I can top it. I heard of one Stihlership that won't even sharpen chains and insists that you buy new! Heck, they don't even offer Vaseline when you go in there!

Yep, Have group here just like that. Won't name names though. But they do have outlets in multiple locations in the state, not a box store operation either.

Back