Thought you heard it all, so did I, not so

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
About 20 years ago I dropped off a Crapsman mower at their service center for the "spring tune up". Somethime later they called and said the drive was worn, needed to be replaced, and the estimate was almost $200. I said NO, the mower wasn't worth $200, and it worked, so just do the advertised "spring tune up". They called a left a message that it was done, so I had my wife drop by after work. I unloaded it, started it, and tried to engage the drive (self propelled), and it didn't move. They had removed the entire drive........so I called and asked where the drive unit was and was told it was removed because it was "unsafe". I was a wee bit angry :angry: and told them that it was coming back and they were going to reinstall the missing parts, and that it WOULD work.....they did reinstall parts, and it did work for another couple of seasons before I sat out by the road "free".

Guess where I don't buy anything, and haven't for 20 years? :censored:'em!

I can top it. I heard of one Stihlership that won't even sharpen chains and insists that you buy new! Heck, they don't even offer Vaseline when you go in there!

I know that guy ya talking about Space. I went in there yesterday with 6 chains to be sharpened. He was sitting back in his recliner with his feet proped up. I asked can I get these chains done. He turned down his radio and looked at me and said can't ya see I'm busy, go buy some new ones. I was mad. Then while I was standing there this lil blond came in with 6 chains and she asked him if he could do them right now. He jumped up out that recliner and yes indeedy, then he looked and me and said you still here. I tell ya that guy is prick. I bought 6 new chains and left,:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

This one is very interchangeable, and I hear all the time:
Cus: Hey I just got this unit given to me and I need to use it, how much?
Me: Gimme a little time with it to see what's wrong.
Cus: Ok, great
Me: Unit will require about 1/3 to 1/2 it's value to operate properly.
Cus: WHAT!?!? But it's not worth it, it was given to me.
Me: Ok, then I'll be happy to take it off your hands.
Cus: WHAT!?!? you're trying to screw me, the guy that gave me the unit said it is just fine, and the Internet says it should be fixed very cheaply.
Me: (returning non operational unit) Ok. Thanks for coming in. If you need any parts, please come back here for them.

ship them chains to me,,local guy over here will sharpen them for ya he gets one sharpening per chain for 5 bux....he burns 3/4 of the cutter off so ya have to get a new chain the next time around:dizzy:

before i got into cutting and found this site,, i took him a chain that had never been sharpened and he fixed her up for me:msp_biggrin: almost unsafe to use the teeth were so small......

Hey Master, you should have told him to buy a saw with an outboard clutch, can't happen with those saws.....:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

PS. I can imagine they forgot to reinstall the clutch, but heck, to refuse to put another one in would have caused me to blow hell as well....:dizzy:

My folks took a generator to a shop a year or so ago... Its a vintage Winco, but has always been reliable. Well it wouldn't start, so in it went. A month later they get the call with the price to do the repair. $600... So, they say no thank you, and go to pick it up. They get presented a carcase, and a box of loose parts... They asked me if I wanted it, and I picked it up. Gave them a unit that I had cleaned out the fuel system on that another friend had foolishly taken to a shop and got condemned (runs like a clock now)...

2 days before Sandy hit, I got around to putting the Winco back together. Took me quite some time to chase down where all those little damn pieces went... Wouldn't start, no spark, so I pulled the flywheel, cleaned the points, and put it back together. After shearing the flywheel key on the first pull, and replacing it, it started, and ran happily. Kept the lights on for a couple different households as I moved it around when the power came on here and there. The shop was going to replace the tank, and carb... No mention of points.

I keep begging them not to take machines in to be serviced... At least let me do the basics first...

Always amazes me how some places stay in business. Buddy of mine went in for new tires and got it back with one rim only having 2 out of the recommended 5 lug nuts on the rim. In the shops defense, it was a Friday afternoon.:msp_w00t::dizzy:

Storys like this really piss me the #### off!
There is some dude that knows little to nothing about saws and he "trusts" these so called experts to fix his saw.
I hate to see people get take advantage of. Most of us here would just fix what was wrong and go on from there.
WARRANTY WORK is a different matter though. I have never had to have warranty work done on a saw.
Not sure what I would do in that case. I wonder if Husky would send parts and let me fix it my-self?
Auto-Tune? I do not have one so no worrys there.

<snip> I wonder if Husky would send parts and let me fix it my-self?
Auto-Tune? I do not have one so no worrys there.

Apparently some or lots of dealers don't yet have what is needed for the "Auto-tune", so is EXACTLY why I can't recommend them.

I prefer less elctronics so that stuff might be diagnosed without hooking up to a computer. Rather than get :censored: by a transmission shop, I did some research, tested, and fixed the auto trans in my Jeep. I did it in my driveway without help, and didn't have to suffer through "it needs a complete R&R, so will be $3K".

Apparently some or lots of dealers don't yet have what is needed for the "Auto-tune", so is EXACTLY why I can't recommend them.

I prefer less elctronics so that stuff might be diagnosed without hooking up to a computer. Rather than get :censored: by a transmission shop, I did some research, tested, and fixed the auto trans in my Jeep. I did it in my driveway without help, and didn't have to suffer through "it needs a complete R&R, so will be $3K".

haha.. reminds of a gal I work with that went through hell with GM over a Saturn suv with a CVT trans... they replaced it twice then finally bought her out on the whole vehicle. The new fangled tranny was garbage.

I will own an AT saw at some point. I see more good than bad with them. Besides, one day soon all saws will be like this. It's going to happen.

If that happened to me they would find out why I dont have many friends.:msp_w00t:

Subscribing... if someone can actually top the OP's story, I want to hear about it! I've seen saws come back from dealers with backwards chains, incorrect pitch sprockets/chains, different bars than were provided with the saw to be serviced, and broken parts, all of which could all be honest mistakes. This just takes the cake, plain and simple! Bad service, with a bad attitude!

Here is a good one for ya...my buddy buys a new to him car and brings it over to show it off, nice looking little car I told him. He says ya but it's running hot. I told him to pop the hood so we could take a look. He does and then I tell him, well heck where's the fan lol.:buttkick:

My buddie's dad owns a dealership around here...said they finally got the computer $1600! guess what if the computer doesn't say anything and the saw is still not right it has to be shipped to husky...no on site if the computer says nothing. sorta a liability for downtime if your in production and need a saw.

Missing clutch, now that`s a good one. I have been around repairing chainsaws for a long while, only one I can think of that comes close to that is. A Stihl dealer that is no longer in business was asked to do a tuneup and sharpen the chain on a customers saw, he bought it there 2 years prior. Its an 036 so quite a few years ago, left the saw there with instructions to be called when the saw is ready. A couple of weeks go by and he gets his call, saw is ready, its been tested out in the log out back, chain is sharp to. He picks it up two days later, pays the bill and heads home. He lives 40 odd miles down the Eastern shore from the shop. Next day gets the saw out to do some cutting,fills fuel and oil tanks, tries starting it and can`t even get it to cough. Pulls and pulls, lets sit in case he flooded it, pulls and pulls , no cough , no sign of it starting. He calls back to the dealer where the work was done, they tell him to try this and that with the choke, no choke, three pulls choke on , choke off, lada lada. Still no sign of starting, makes another call, shop says bring it back they will take a look at it. He agrees to take it back in on Friday as its a long drive and he has an appointment in Dartmouth close to that shop on Friday. On his way to the dealer he has to pass a small engine shop that does general repairs, he knows the owner and mechanic there so he drops in and gets to chatting. The mechanic says bring the saw in, he will get it started or see whats wrong, if it does not need parts no charge. The saw goes in, the mechanic pulls and pulls, no sign of start. He wants to check for spark so off comes the airfilter, goes ah ha, the sparkplug wire is not plugged on. Next goes WTF, where is the sparkplug boot, has to remove the recoil to look for the sparkplug boot, off comes the recoil, again WTF, the coil is missing.
Call goes into the dealer, coil is missing, dealer denies that was possible. Many calls and a few arguements ensue, the saw is taken back to the dealer. After a couple of hours the dealer finds out from one of the mechanics that is off sick ,that he borrowed the coil to try out on a saw he was working on at home. Mechanic gets fired, saw gets a new coil after a couple days wait for a new one to arrive and all is good with the world again. Not really, that shop over time got a bad rep and went downhill, eventually closing its doors.

Back