Thoughts About Having The Husky Closed Port 55 Piston Reproduced....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So what kind of production run are the manufacturers proposing? Would it be enough units that the chainsaw enthusiast forum would absorb them? ie, maybe someone needs one but would maybe buy a couple just so they could get the one and might need another in the future?
If the run is 1000 units, that seems doable. If it is 50,000 units, that would be a show stopper. There are a lot of individuals looking for parts besides those on AS, FF, CSR, hogs, etc.
Let's hear some numbers...eh?

Quite surprising really. I know of at least 8 CP 55's in my immediate area that would love to have a replacement piston, and there are others that I have passed on as well. That is just confirmed CP's I have seen up close.
Well you better get out there and buy them up to get ahead of the curve. ;)

Well the first question I have is how many does it take for them to do a run of these things? That will pretty much determine how feasible this is.

I hear what a lot of guys are saying regarding the negative comments. And I agree if we are talking the real world saw market. 55 Ranchers might have been available up until a few years ago, but the 55CP's go back at least 15 years. (And more than 20 for the 590) 98% of saw owners will not rebuild a saw of that age and price range.

So, what remains is the potential that exists here in the enthusiast community. Hard to gage what that potential might be, and I suppose that's what this thread could reveal. And you need to separate the excitement between those who would like to be able to get one IF they run across a 55CP, and those that would step up and buy them should this come off. I'd take 4 or 5 because I know of some saws locally that they could be used in.

Another idea to throw out there: Biggest limitation here is that you first have to find yourself a 55CP; and then hope the cylinder is usable. That's really not a lot of potential saws. But if they did the entire top end, then any of the gazillion 51's and 55's that are out there would be candidates for the kits. Of course now we're talking a lot more money. And the real world vs enthusiast reality would still apply IMO. But I think there'd be more demand than for just the pistons.

Randy, there is a saw that will have a viable A/M demand for many of it parts of it's parts are being discountinued is the Stihl 028. Many of it's parts seem to have been discontinued, oem jug/piston are gone as well as several other components, there are thousands upon thousands of these still in use. A week doesn't go buy that we don't see two or three in the shop. We now buy every trashed one we can for future parts. If there is a high quality replacement on the market you would use........point me to it I'll stock a few.

Doesn't look like replaceable CP pistons are going to be a happening thing. No curve to get ahead of I guess. Too bad, they are one tough, reliable, popular saw. But I am an old man who hates to let go of what works - what do I know.:)

:laugh:
Doesn't look like replaceable CP pistons are going to be a happening thing. No curve to get ahead of I guess. Too bad, they are one tough, reliable, popular saw. But I am an old man who hates to let go of what works - what do I know.:)
If they are so reliable and tough, why do they all seem to be smoked?:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:is it just all the ignorant homeowners running them will a dull chain and straight gas?

So what kind of production run are the manufacturers proposing? Would it be enough units that the chainsaw enthusiast forum would absorb them? ie, maybe someone needs one but would maybe buy a couple just so they could get the one and might need another in the future?
If the run is 1000 units, that seems doable. If it is 50,000 units, that would be a show stopper. There are a lot of individuals looking for parts besides those on AS, FF, CSR, hogs, etc.
Let's hear some numbers...eh?

$50,000 worth... And that's the first run..... now what happens when that run doesn't work? There to big, not tall enough and then what.... we try again? There isn't anything that say's the run will be 100 or 1000 or 1. They need to build a mold, then test it a bunch, fix the mold and test again. There are "A", B" and "C" quality from that run and most suppliers buy B or C as those make the most money in the profit % between purchasing and selling. We like "A" because they're nearly perfect, but cost more. I can't sell "A" for much more but I paid more for it. Most suppliers buy the cheaper ones so "A" gets squeezed out pretty fast. I can buy 6 "B" runs for the price I buy 3 "A" runs, I make $5 of profit per piston while Joe floods the market with "B" at $30 profit. He replaces anything that comes back with another "B" and it runs. He's still ahead, he sells them cheaper and still crushes the market. I can't compete, you get crap and everybody gets a bad name for selling aftermarket junk.

And yes, I have two cylinders and a piston. The replacement was an open port 50/51/55 kit because the CP was going extinct and with that kit, one size fits all.

It's a huge risk at best, could take years to recover the cost, could take 5 years to get right. Look where we are today with a popular saw, the 066.
ONE kit works out of the box,that kit runs well...... it only took 6 aftermarket makers 5-10 years to get right.

What are the chances.... I've already said I was in, anybody else?

Ok, now that we have some data, it doesn't sound too feasible... Do the aftermarket manufacturers usually only respond to requests? ie, they don't seek things to manufacture and market?

One other thought, are there existing pistons that could be modified and fit? ie, a larger one that could be turned down to a smaller dimension, etc...

I only have one 55 and it's an open port so I don't really care if this happens other than there are lots of other saws that could benefit from some aftermarket parts and it is interesting to learn about the process.

GOT MY SHOVEL>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

DUG THIS THREAD UP!!!!!!!!

so......

What about CNC Billet Aluminum pistons for the 55 Closed port......

yes, they are expensive....

No, they won't shatter like a crappy casting or a cut out Solid piston for an Open port

What price point would people buy these at??

and yes, I might have the ability to have them made, so this isn't some dream talk happening.....

Seems that the OEM Closed port cylinders are usually salvaged if transfer does occur, so they are pretty tough but this leaves a lot of users and saw repair shops with good cylinders and no piston, so people go with the cheap and handy option of turning it into an open port....

Can't you get the windowed 55 piston and closed port jug AM now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought that was still a solid piston and the cylinder was a cp/op hybrid of sorts....

I am likely wrong

I thought that was still a solid piston and the cylinder was a cp/op hybrid of sorts....

I am likely wrong
I will probably be picking one up from my distributor later this week... I'll take pics when it gets here and post them up. Pretty sure it was advertised as a windowed piston and closed port jug.

Sound good?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What I know about 3d printers could be written on a postage stamp in crayon but I'll ask anyway, could one of them turn out a decent piston?

A 3D Plastic piston, sure....

3d metal printers are crazy expensive so far....

Used mostly by aerospace industries....

Latest posts

Back