Thoughts About Having The Husky Closed Port 55 Piston Reproduced....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damn, I guess in the future as the tech becomes cheaper it might become an option. There's a heap of machinery that could bd bought back to life when if does.

Damn, I guess in the future as the tech becomes cheaper it might become an option. There's a heap of machinery that could bd bought back to life when if does.
Keep in mind you have to have a perfect part to scan to make a duplicate. Or have a CAD engineer spend lots of programming time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why would someone want a 55cp versus any number of other, more readily available options? I've never run a 55 of any sort, much less a cp, so maybe I'm missing something here. What would one of these do that a 254xp or 357xp or 359 wouldn't do as well or better?

Is low-volume CNC an option? What would that cost? I would not have a problem paying >$100 for a piston that I really needed (238se, anyone?) to salvage an otherwise useful, interesting saw.

I have an excellent used example of an OEM husky 55 cp piston to copy....

As for why.....

They are cheap (much cheaper than 346xp), plentiful, common, and many people have them still going after 20+ years

Look at who even started the thread.... Mastermind himself, which gives a lot of credibility to the need for these. He has them and has lots of customers with them as well....

If near 346xp power can be attained stock to stock and ported vs ported, many people (myself included) would be happy that the initial saw only cost them between free and $300 for a super nice one.... Less than 1/2 the price of one of the new ones mentioned

My $0.02: you need a jug to make it worthwhile (not common as we all know), and the 346 crushes the cp55 regarding AV, and is of course ahead in the weight department. I just don't feel it'd be remotely worthwhile unless a top end was available that is comparable in price & quality to meteor's 350/346/351/353 cp top end.

Very true and very good points Bryan!!!

I guess it is also sort of a deal of fixing or upgrading what ya have that has been very reliable for a long time (as long as you keep a good intake and impulse grommet on a 55)versus seeking out a new saw for a lot of money usually....

I know that I grew up with a sears craftsman 3.7 poulan and a husky 55....

Nostalgia is a powerful thing

I have the original closed port stock husqvarna piston in the box..... Bought it off Baileys several years ago. Had to wait a month to get it cost was 119.00. I also have a closed port cylinder....intake widened. Was gonna use it a 55 that I'd had ....ended up giving it to a friend...will take some pics the next day or so and post them

Latest posts

Back