Thoughts about Husky 346XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BRLE

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Thanks for the input on the 350 and the 353. What about your thoughts on the Husky 346XP?

A 346XP is an EXCELLANT saw, as long as you keep the chain sharp, and dont lean on it.
The 353 has a wider powerband, which is better for homeowners, but the 346, is a really high speed little demon.

I compared all the saws before I bought my 353. Went with the 353 due to more torque, lower vibration, plus the mechanical reasons in the other topic. The 346 has more vibration it looks like due to the higher RPM that it runs.

Not a bad saw but if you are used to leaning in to your saw, this is not for you. Good for limbing as it screams with high rpm's. Keep the chain sharp.

I have a 346xp that I have had close to three years. They hold up great and have plenty of power even in 12'' oak. I run a 16'' b/c on mine with full chiesel. This whole thing about vibs is a moot point because unless you are a Pro running the saw day in day out you're NOT going to notice a differance! In all fairness I have not tryed the 353 but I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. The only mistake I made with mine was not getting the heated handles for $40 more!!

I like Ryan run my 346XP with 16in bar and chain and love it. I love the high rev's and with my muffler mods, it sounds great.

Lobo said:
Not a bad saw but if you are used to leaning in to your saw, this is not for you. Good for limbing as it screams with high rpm's. Keep the chain sharp.

An awesome saw. I've got two and love them both equally. If you are used to "leaning" into your saw it doesn't matter what you get, the performance will suffer.

The 346XP is commonly found on the top of most pro's short list.
For me it is absolutely a "don't leave for the job without it" saw.

Newfie said:
An awesome saw. I've got two and love them both equally. If you are used to "leaning" into your saw it doesn't matter what you get, the performance will suffer.

Geez isn't that what i posted above.

The point being, if that is what you do, then don't buy a little 3.4 hp screamer or any little low torque high rev screamer but move up to higher hp saws instead to compensate for this lack of torque.

Lobo said:
Geez isn't that what i posted above.

The point being, if that is what you do, then don't buy a little 3.4 hp screamer or any little low torque high rev screamer but move up to higher hp saws instead to compensate for this lack of torque.

Great minds must think alike.......................... :)

The 346xp will set you back about $360. I like the modded muffler for a little extra umph and, if you stay close to this forum, you will learn a lot about maintinance and sharpening techniques to keep your saw cutting at optimum. I use mine for firewood and really like it. Paul F B

lean on it?

You've seen homeowners do it a thousand times. start saw; set saw solidly on wood at idle speed, chain not turning, lean on saw; pull trigger to start chain moving, lean harder to avoid the saw jerk; as saw jerks them forward, they lean over cut and look down at saw as they try to push it through the wood as fast as those guys on (tv) with race saws do it, as if standing directly over the cut watching makes the saw go faster. Like watching water boil.They don't have a clue that the chain should be moving before it touches wood and no matter how often you tell them the chain will pull the saw through the cut, they set the saw on the wood at idle speed to start the cut waiting for the saw to jerk and with a white knuckle grip they push down hard.

Yep! YEP and YEP !

Excactly what I am talking about.

I've been running a 246,(I think they're pretty much the same as 346) for 8 years. It's cut a ton of firewood with no trouble. I run a 18" bar and keep the chain sharp. If I lost it tomorow, I'd go buy a 346 in a heartbeat.

oldsaw-addict said:
A 346XP is an EXCELLANT saw, as long as you keep the chain sharp, and dont lean on it.
The 353 has a wider powerband, which is better for homeowners, but the 346, is a really high speed little demon.

:)

Just my 2 cents, the 346 is one of the best saws out there and if I had to choose between a 346 and a 353 , I know I would be running a 346, I find the 346 very easy to run and instead of making it turn 14700 rpm's like the book tells you to do try 14200 rpm's , suddenly you have a whole different saw, now it has a good torque band and holds it's rpm's in the wood alot better, like I said just my 2 cents worth

Latest posts

Back