Thoughts on 365xt

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plan-b

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Give me the good and the bad about the 365xt. We all know the old 365 was great but I know nothing about the XT version.

Look at the data plate, it's a 71.8 cc saw. Has restrictors in the transfer plates that are easily removed. They are so easily removed that I sent mine to Mastermind to keep him in practice. While he was at it I had him port it. So for the price of a 65 you get a 70 cc saw. With a 20 or 24" bar it is fine. Mine doesn't cut well with the chain on backwards, but other than that it holds its own against other 70 cc saws.

Ours will be here tomorrow. Like the bang for the buck, especially after conversion, and the fact that I can tune it myself once I get the tool. Google, "Long Live the 365," an article written by a pro who said, "Get one (or two) while you can." He talks about the various new saws he went through in his career, including how the old 365 was a game-changer for him, and how now he chose one for personal use. It's a nice read.

I love my 365xt. I bought it in August 2013. It is currently the largest saw in my lineup. I run mine stock with a 24 inch bar and it has lots of grunt and torque compared to my previous big saw "stihl ms 290" running a 20" bar.

I want to have a pro remove the transfer covers and port the saw. Maybe add the high top air filter from a 372xp. I am running the factory double dawgs on it and love how it cuts in 34-35" cherry rounds.

I have also acquired a Still 261 CM that cuts almost as fast as the 365xt.

My only complaint is the decompression valve works too well on these saws when you use it is drops compression. Too low to start the saw. Supposed to have a fix but I just start it without it and have not had any issues.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Yeah Crab,

Researched the cold-starting thing and it's as you say, but from what I've read there are specific instructions in the manual which maybe people don't read. Dunno whether that's true, that Husky wrote different instructions just for this saw. Just gotta not flood it, and as you say, don't use the decomp button and draw the rope out til you feel resistance, THEN pull. Guess maybe it has some funky idling issues too, and one guy here resolved that w/ a carb swap? That's about all I came across in my homework. Well, these, and the opinion that the saw is fairly bullet-proof. Got ours w/ 20" and ordered a 28" for full-skip. And yeah, if you do get a port job from Moody, Wicked, Master...well, you'll be lookin for lotsa stuff to cut, and maybe extending the life of yer saw in the bargain.

I worked on an older 365. It was in great shape. It had a slight hesitation off idle. I could not eliminate it. Did some research and found that many had a hesitation. A carb replacement was recommended. It didn't get one.
Very strong saw. However this has nothing to do with a new one.

That's what it was, a carb swap. The muffler swap didn't change the off-idle hesitation. I'm ok with that. Just gotta know the chain's still going for a bit.

I had a 365 Special for many years and when it died i decided to get a 365 XT instead of a re-build on the special. As has been said the X-torq versions of these saws are 70.7 cc not 65cc like the old ones. This is the same cc's as the 372XP. The 365XT simply has an air restriction in the transfers to de-tune it to make a power difference between the 2 models.

That right there has gotta be the best saw bargain ever. The ability with nothing more than a dremel and a re-tune (plus knowing what you are doing!) and you get a saw upgrade for basically free!! I did mine myself plus a mild muffler mod and it makes a great saw an even stronger saw. Runtime is almost the same, obviously slightly shorter due to more power after modding it into a 372XP. The 365XT is basically an XP saw simply without the XP next to it's name. Plus if you put the hi-top filter and cover it's better again. Mine is still the standard filter though..... must be getting a bit slack and lazy. :rolleyes:

I really loved my old special.....but i have learnt to love the X-torq even more. For it's power i am very happy how long it lasts on a tank of fuel. I cannot remember the manufacture year of mine but i have had it at least 4 years i think and it has done a heck of a lot of work. Nothing has broken or failed, but i do take very good care and do pretty much all the maintenance of all my saws.

I run a 20" 3/8 050 bar with either Oregon LGX chisel or Carlton semi chisel. I cannot really run bigger bars here unless i use a bigger saw. Only time i can put a 24" on is if i am cutting Cyprus or some other softwood. In our Aussie hardwoods even with he 20" you cannot just pull the saw through the cut with the bucking spikes, you have to ease it through. My Dolmar 7900 handles the 24" well in our wood here but is a much bigger cc saw.

It can be hard to start when i have not used it for a week or so. I also have pretty much stopped using the decomp on starting the saw. Call me old school but i rarely use it on any of the saws i use anyway. Exception to that is the 088. Unless i'm feeling weak in the head i always use it. ;)

In short, a very well made saw that cuts well and is very reliable. Looked after it will cut and cut and cut for many years.

Once I learn tuning better I'll do the baffle mod. Having near zero temps here recently and richening it up a bit is helpin, but I'm not confident that my ears are tuned yet to the sound of four-strokin, and f/ what I've read the tach is no good once you go out of the book/off factory specs. Just need more time on it, and doubt I'll put a hi-top on it, unless it's necessary?

I don't have first hand input on the 365, but a good buddy of mine traded in his 365 for a 562 and has never been happier. Cost aside, he says the 562 is a vast improvement over the 365. Though his 365 gave him 6 or 7 years of good service, with nothing bad to say about it. He would have kept it if the 562 wasn't awesome.

Certainly looks it. Same HP as the 365 with 10cc and 1.5 lbs less, AT and rev boost, same 28" bar capacity, and a $575 dealer demo w/ warranty on eBay rite now. Otherwise it's more $$, certainly worth the extra I'm sure, but even the 365 is more saw than I can justify if I had to try. Neither did I want the latest technology that does everything for you. If I made my living w/ it, you're right, but since I wanna tinker, and maybe grab a last chance at a bang-for-buck tried-and-tested oldie-but-goodie, then it's hard to go wrong with the 365, specially if yer only a monthly firewood cutter as we are. Also not sure that I'd be as confident pullin a 28" chain with the 562 as I'm gonna be with our fully realized 70cc post-conversion 365. I'm sure I'm wrong. Probably just being foolishly nostalgic, naive, and Luddite. The torque numbers differ as stock. Maybe someone will translate the differences to longer bars for each. We run a 20" bar, and an occasional 28".

I can't say I blame ya. I still prefer my zero-series Stihls to Mtronic models for the same reasons.

But that IS a helluva deal...$575...not sure I coulda resisted that. Or even if we used the saw more than we do, and for the little extra $$ at average prices, we mita/shoulda/coulda swung the other way. As it is, though, that's what I get for fallin in love...was never able to think straight about the 365.

Back