Thoughts on plastic saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Locoweed

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Last year a neighbor gave me a MS210 in partial payment for some tractor work I did for him. Having turned 70 recently, my shoulders protest when I do limbing that is head high & above. I thought this thing would be lighter than my 026 pro & that idea was appealing.

The saw had not been run very much, but had sat outside for a long time by the looks of it. When I went to use it over my head, I immediately noticed gas running out of the saw & down my arm. The little hose nipple for the vent that is molded into the gas tank – saw housing was broken off. Not being interested in replacing the housing, I epoxied a brass hose nipple into the tank. That seemed like it turned out pretty well, but when I put some gas in the tank & held it up over my head for a test it became obvious that it was also leaking where the gas line came out of the tank. So I ordered a new gas line.

Installing it was “interesting” . There was nothing that was difficult to accomplish, but I was amazed at how much stuff I had to remove to accomplish the task. The gas leaking appears to be fixed for the moment, but the design of the tank & hose interface isn’t something I would hold up as a example of a good design. Just the opposite imho.

I had been lusting at a MS 192 CE for it’s light weight. My local dealer wants $369 + tax for one of those. I’m sorry Stihl, but no way would I pay that for one of their plastic creations. (being polite here)

The first saw I bought new was a 70’s era Poulan which I got a lot of use out of. When it did develop a problem, the local saw shop said it was in effect a throw away saw & not worth the cost of getting it fixed. Looks like the plastic saws may be the modern equivalent.

Latest posts

Back