thoughts on poulan pro?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
computeruser

computeruser

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
As a general rule, they're junk. Occasionally one sneaks through and works well.

An analagous situation: my buddy's dad purchased one of those 33cc Homelites a while back and it has actually been a rock-solid reliable saw once the rough piece where the starter cord comes out was smoothed out so it would stop ripping the starter rope up. However, a couple other people I know bought the same saw and theirs have can't be made to run properly, period.

Though these saws - Poulan, Homelite, McCulloch - are junk by all measures and I'd never encourage someone to buy one, the can and do work sometimes.

retoocs555

retoocs555

Addicted to ArboristSite
A poulan pro if kept clean, and run on correctly mixed fuel, with an appropriate length bar, is a very good saw for the money.

The problem with cheap saws isn't so much quality of construction as it is quality of maintenance.

You do pay for quality, and the more you pay (in general) the better the quality will be.

I consider poulan pro a step above what is offered from homelite, mcculloch, and plain old poulan.

THALL10326

THALL10326

The Champ
enjoys cutting said:
just wondering if there is any quality left in the poulan pro saw line?i heard some of the big saws were alright, just wondering about the small ones?

Can't say all Poulans are bad and hell for no more than they cost some are pretty good. The problem with Poulan is a very puzzling one. They have made saws for years and years and at one time put out some damn good ones. The 3400 is still out there running strong. The problem seems Poulan has given up on top notch stuff and goes after only the low end market. They have the know how and tooling to make good stuff like they once did but just don't seem interested anymore. They want only the low cost, low end market. Who knows, maybe thats where the money is.......

spike60

spike60

Addicted to ArboristSite
enjoys cutting said:
just wondering if there is any quality left in the poulan pro saw line?i heard some of the big saws were alright, just wondering about the small ones?

The only quality that was ever really in Poulan "Pro", was in the various Partner and Pioneer models that were in the line up about 15 years ago when Electrolux consolidated those brands together with some actual Poulan designs and painted them all yellow. At the time, the yellow, or pro versions of the Poulan designs were supposed to have chrome cylinders to differentiate them from the green ones. I don't believe the 3400/3700's ever made it to the yellow paint, as the bigger sizes were far better covered by the Partners and Pioneers.

Looking back, you have to wonder what the heck Electrolux was thinking. Did they ever really intend to market all of those brands? Several of the Partners also made it into the Jonsered catelog, and they were great saws. What was the point of buying Pioneer, selling them as Poulans for a few years and then closing it down? Maybe it was just to eliminate some of the competition, and we will never know how long any of the "3 P's" would have lasted if they had stayed independent.

I'd kind of like to add a 475 or a 505 to the collection some day.

Stumper

Stumper

One Man Band
Thall-As Spike has mentioned-Poulan was absorbed by Electrolux-the consortium that owns Husqvarna and Jonsered. Some of the Poulan Pro's were very good saws but the current lineup are really consumer grade saws despite the "Pro" name. I consider them a bit better grade of consumer saw than the current Homelites and Poulan Wild things-though some standard Poulans and Poulan Pros and low end Huskies are all the same design.

THALL10326

THALL10326

The Champ
Stumper said:
Thall-As Spike has mentioned-Poulan was absorbed by Electrolux-the consortium that owns Husqvarna and Jonsered. Some of the Poulan Pro's were very good saws but the current lineup are really consumer grade saws despite the "Pro" name. I consider them a bit better grade of consumer saw than the current Homelites and Poulan Wild things-though some standard Poulans and Poulan Pros and low end Huskies are all the same design.

Awwwwwwwwww I'm learning something about Poulan. Can't say I ever got all that interested in them but must admit they do puzzle me. Seems to me they go after the low end market and don't bother with the high end at all. I guess those decisons are made by Electrolux. I still see alot of older Poulans come in from time to time for a new chain or something and they , the old ones, seem like solid saws.

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
enjoys cutting said:

I don't think there is much quality left, after the Pioneer models and the models made in Sweden disappeared.

NWCS

Addicted to ArboristSite
i just stripped apart my old Poulan Pro 255. this was my first chainsaw. the first month i used it i ran poulan oil and scored the piston and lost all compression. dealer put a new piston/cyl in and i switched to stihl oil, never had problems with this one again. the piston looks great through the ports. this is one of the old "durachrome" cyl yellow and black ones. i see at my local walmart they have 2 diffrent kinds of poulans with the pro label, a burgandy color pro label and in a diffrent section of the store the yellow and black pro label ones. my poulan gets used for the jobs i would never use a good saw, creosoted railroad ties and in the dirt root cutting. i think i got this thing about 1996

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
spike60 said:
... I'd kind of like to add a 475 or a 505 to the collection some day.

So would I, they were based on the Partner P7700, and the same saws as the Jonsered 2077 and 2083.

They were among the Swedish made saws that I mentioned, and there were also several other models in this "family" of saws - take a look here.

Cut4fun

Cut4fun

Faster is Better
I like Poulans myself and like any saw company out there. There are ones I would not buy either. Just research it and ask and save some money. The only new poulan worth a darn to me right now is the PP 330 and I heard they quit making it too. Heres a few of the good ones imo.
CopyofDSCF0011-1.jpg

CopyofDSCF0073.jpg

Stumper

Stumper

One Man Band
The 330 was a lot of saw for the $$-You'll find old threads on this site where I highly recommended it. Alas it may of have been too good -- E-lux pulled it. I don't know if that was because it was competeing too heavily with the Husky Ranchers or perhaps it was because doofi kept ripping the intake boots trying to pull stuck saws out of pinched bar situations.

BlueRidgeMark

BlueRidgeMark

Addicted to ArboristSite
spike60 said:
Looking back, you have to wonder what the heck Electrolux was thinking. Did they ever really intend to market all of those brands? ... What was the point of buying Pioneer, selling them as Poulans for a few years and then closing it down? Maybe it was just to eliminate some of the competition

It's been done. I don't know anything about this particular situation, but I do know that it's generally frowned on to buy a competitor just to shut him down. Fines and even jail time can result.

Soooooo.... You buy the competitor, continue to market the stuff for a few years, and gradually dismember it. Oh, all in the name of efficiency, of course!

Could have been what happened here, or it could have been just a boneheaded decision.

Latest posts