Thoughts on this saw mount setup?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeInParadise

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I am in the process of building a mini mill that i can drag up in the hill and mill some smaller stuff.

I am going to build a carriage that slides and uses a mechanism to raise and lower the saw.

First pass at this is to mount the saw using the bar bolts. I tracked down some M8 Coupler nuts.
(which was harder than I thought to source locally considering that Canada is supposed to be metric:dizzy: )

These screw right on to the Stihl studs, I put a wide washer under them. These then mount to a plate which in turn fasten to the hardware that will raise and lower the saw.

What I am wondering is about the stress on these bolts in a milling situation. These two couplers are basically supporting the saw.

From what I can determine this seems to be the way that Logosol attaches their saws to the carriage in the M7 mill.

Thoughts and considerations would be appreciated!

attachment.php

attachment.php

Mike,

Looking at your setup I'd say your connection to your bar bolts are fine especially seeing as these look like they are going to be primarily on a vertical loading. I would be a bit more concerned about the connection/mount at the second pair of bolts (see photo) which could lead to twisting at that point. If it were me I'd be looking to strengthen that joint to reduce this.

attachment.php

On BIL mill I have removed the brake and the sprocket/clutch cover and bolt the mill hard up against the bar. A piece pf 1/2" ally plate is used as a spacer to stop the chain rubbing on the mill. I've also added an extra bolt from the mill to a threaded hole on the power head (see dotted red line on photo below) which is part of the chain brake attachment. This provides a triangular or 3 point mount making the attachment of the powerhead to the mill very rigid. A disadvantage is, that bolt has to be removed to change the chain - other than that bolt, I do not need to remove any other bolts on the saw or mill to change the chain.

I'm sorry but I don't have BIL handy to take a photo but I trawled back through my archive and found this one taken during BILs construction which shows the location of the 3rd bolt.
attachment.php

Mike,

Looking at your setup I'd say your connection to your bar bolts are fine especially seeing as these look like they are going to be primarily on a vertical loading. I would be a bit more concerned about the connection/mount at the second pair of bolts (see photo) which could lead to twisting at that point. If it were me I'd be looking to strengthen that joint to reduce this.

That is actually just sitting there loose for now as that bottom plate is not square and I want to put some adjusting mechanism in it for squareness.

I am planning on re-enforcing the bottom as well.

I appreciate the comments.

Logosol exstender nut's

Hi Mike ......... I have a logosol style mill and used a couple of logosol exstender nut's to mount my saw to my mill , they work fine , heap's strong enough . I have a MS660 mounted on these nut's .

Back