Three Cube Shootout!!!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its not ALL about speed.
If were looking for the perfect 3 cube saw you would have to accomidate lots of points of views besides which goes through a 18" poplar log the fastest.
I would put money on the 261 keeping up with the orange/red turds alot better :)
I think weight should be brought into the debate. (im sure the 555 will win that contest though?)

Id bet 75% of the U.S's 50cc saw owners are the worst with maintenence, so quality should be brought in as well?
I know this wasnt Randys intentions of debating when he started this thread, but which 3 of these saws will be around in 40 years when they have been beat to **** by farmers, tree trimmers, homeowners and firewood cutters.

Then why mention it? Randy showed exactly what he intended to show. Nothing more, nothing less. This isn't the be all end all scientific validation of what saw is the best. I'm sure we would all enjoy reading you're thread if you want to go buy all 50cc saws, do all the testing and documentation, and report you're findings for .

Don't take this personal.

Rant off, itch scratched:)

Last edited:
Then why mention it? Randy showed exactly what he intended to show. Nothing more, nothing less. This isn't the be all end all scientific validation of what saw is the best. I'm sure we would all enjoy reading you're thread if you want to go buy all 50cc saws, do all the testing and documentation, and report you're findings for . And dint take this personal.

I was going to ask how you were coping with menopause Brad, but you have renedered my question pointless.:msp_razz:

Last edited:
Then why mention it? Randy showed exactly what he intended to show. Nothing more, nothing less. This isn't the be all end all scientific validation of what saw is the best. I'm sure we would all enjoy reading you're thread if you want to go buy all 50cc saws, do all the testing and documentation, and report you're findings for .

Don't take this personal.

Me buy a new saw? Never!!!!
:laugh:
I guess your right, but i would love to see all perspectives looked over!
Sorry to ruffle any feathers! :)

Sweet job randy! :rock:

Looks like one should just pick their poison and be happy they are all so close. Would be nice to see them all in stock form running against each other also since that is what 99.99% of all saws are anyhow.

Thanks for the comparison Randy!

In really glad to see that you re-visited this. To be honest with you, I was struggling with the results you posted last week showing the 550 ahead of the 346. Had that been the case, then my 346 had to be way stronger than yours, or your 550 had to be way stronger than mine. I didn't figure either to be the case. You're findings today match more what I would expect:clap: Nice job!

Sorry Brad......they are both way stronger than yours. :hmm3grin2orange:

Id bet 75% of the U.S's 50cc saw owners are the worst with maintenence, so quality should be brought in as well?
I know this wasnt Randys intentions of debating when he started this thread, but which 3 of these saws will be around in 40 years when they have been beat to **** by farmers, tree trimmers, homeowners and firewood cutters.

well the 346oe/ne 2147/2153 design had been around for over a decade now. i think its proven itself. :msp_rolleyes::msp_rolleyes:

Randy you did and awesome job on all three saws!!! I like them all three and I wouldn't kick either one of em off the tailgate.

Just from the tone of the saws I would saw the 2153 is around 500 RPM faster in the cut than the other two and it was still plenty fat. It would be interesting to see if the results would be the same in larger wood. Either way the two new saws were about dead even and a decade old design beat them... thanks EPA!

Randy, does the 2153 have a regular 346xp carb, or a bigger one?

Regular carb.......tweaked a little. Casting flash knocked out of the venturi and screws thinned.

My brother and I actually was talking about this when I saw this thread appearing. We figured the 550xp would come out on top if all venturies were kept stock, but that the 2153/346xp would, if you "fixed" the disadvantage that one had in that regard - and your results just confirmed that! :clap::clap:

We also suspect that a large total venturi area (wet+dry) is the reason that just a muffler mod makes such a large difference in performance on the 550xp.

Them saws are flying through that wood. Must be all in the chain:msp_razz: Just wait til you get a chain just for cutting soft wood like that.:chainsaw:

Out of the 3 I would pick the 550 to own for me.

The 2153 was on it's 2nd or 3rd tank when I traded it.

I didnt run a single tank thru the 2153 until I sent it to Randy- so it was delivered how I picked it up from you.

Latest posts

Back