Three point climbing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I disagree with climbing a casulties rope. I feel there are too many variables invloved. It may be too difficult to inspect the person their gear and the tree. With out knowing what happended to the person should we be putting stress on their rope posiably moving the person around.

Originally posted by Burnham

"Yes, or when one needs hands free operation, such as changing TIP."

So, you would place TWO lanyards before you would change your TIP?

I guess I was not paying close enough attention.

Rushing to get my thoughts down before getting out of the house.

One TIP is all i use when not running a saw.

It seems we are all mostly in agreement here.

Some from of mechanical contact should be the norm for climbing. Though there are some times when there will be the exception to the rule.

climbing their rope

i should have added that we were to check with the casualty that their rope was ok...... and on the way up you can constantly reassure the casualty telling them that they will be moved around a bit and what not.....but its ok

in that resue i was meant to have cut a leg off (?!??!?!) so i was made to scream my lungs out by the examiner.....his thought, might as well make it as real as possible, with out saws cuts etc

jamie

Originally posted by RockyJSquirrel
I was taught that ANSI requires two tie-ins when operating a chainsaw, period. The rest of the time, one tie-in is required with the exceptions noted by Rog and others.

What's wrong with that? For the most part, that's all I use, unless I'm doing storm work on ice covered stuff.

I've never seen anyone leave an "extra rope" in a tree for aerial rescue. If you're THAT unsure on yourself or the tree, maybe you shouldn't be up there...

As far as climbing the "victims" line, it's a judgement call. If the TIP will handle it, go fer it. The whole idea is to get there ASAP, isn't it?

I use two lanyards on gaffs so I can maintain the 1 tie-in while going up. Unclipping a flipline around a branch means I have to have a handhold while I toss the line over the obstacle and re-clip it.

Originally posted by netree

I've never seen anyone leave an "extra rope" in a tree for aerial rescue. If you're THAT unsure on yourself or the tree, maybe you shouldn't be up there...

The rope left in the tree is the SRT mantra that it can be used for entry
  1. multiple climber
  2. getting back up in the tree after lunch
  3. re-entry in a tree were it is easier to exit after finnishin one section.
  4. and can be ther incase of an accident and rescue is needed
    [/list=1]

It's not the sole reason, but an added bennefit.

Latest posts

Back