Three saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
l think a while a three saw plan can suffice almost anyones needs its all about having the right tool in your hand for whatever job you encounter. That being said apart from the traditional 30-50cc/50-70cc/80-100cc combination of your favourite saws, l think that a top handle & polesaw are very useful additions. Also if your serious about milling a 120cc saw is handy. l wish there was a perfect answer to this question but so long as AS lives, the issue will always be heavily debated and l'm yet to see a saw plan that could not be changed for improvement. Everyone has slightly different criteria as well and what suits your needs may differ from anothers. This thread could go 200 pages & not answer this question but it sure is nice to read what works for others.

For work
Table saw
Miter saw
Sawzall

For fun
MS 261
MS 440
XP 3120

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

It depends what your doing with them. Rough terrain, small to medium trees, I don't need a 90ish cc saw along, my 3rd saw choice would be 32 to 45cc and a cheaper saw. Once in a while I am forced to let a saw go to survive myself. Don't like and find it hard to afford mantaining $500ish + saws that may likely have a tree land on them some day. When the footing is good and plenty of room to fall trees in a safe direction I like the bigger, better saws to be in my hands. On ditch banks falling trees I like something like from an 017 to ms 250 with a 12 to 16" bar, an 026 and or a dolmar 5100 with an 16ish bar, an 034 with a 20" and an 044 with 22 or 24" bar. Older growth, bigger trees, my preferred saws would be the 034 20", 044 w/22 o r24", ms660 w/28 to 36" as needed. Nice that bars interchange on those models also. Usually on serious jobs I tote 4,5 or more chainsaws most well used. To go out, cut a pick up load of firewood, 1 saw is enough, I like 2 better. Usually have an idea what size and kind of tree I'll be cutting up and I like 1 short bar saw for cutting close to the ground where I drive in and not so clean wood then a 20" or plus for working up the not so dirty wood. If your up to doing your own maintainence used saws is the way to go IMO. Can own more and have more choices to match the jobs.

This week, (I never give the same answer in these "which saw" threads lol)

242XP, 562/2260, 288XP

Last week it was: 55, 371, 820

I do have a pole saw and would not want to be without it. Not as many occasions to use it, but when the job calls for it, it's the best thing going. Considering how many saws most of us own, adding pole saw to the fleet would make more sense for many guys than adding another conventional saw.

For the dolmar fans out there, how about a 420/421, 6100, 7900/7901/7910. . .not too much out there anywhere that combo couldn't handle.

I'm a Husky man.
Ported 262xp-20", 372xp-24" and a 394xp-32". Might not be the absolute best combo, but it has done me well.

I have several three saw plans I could slap together, but I could sell off everything else and keep a few cheap poulans, an s25cva, a 3400 and a 505 and do *just fine* with anything that grows around here.

This week, (I never give the same answer in these "which saw" threads lol)

242XP, 562/2260, 288XP

Last week it was: 55, 371, 820

I do have a pole saw and would not want to be without it. Not as many occasions to use it, but when the job calls for it, it's the best thing going. Considering how many saws most of us own, adding pole saw to the fleet would make more sense for many guys than adding another conventional saw.

Spike,
what model pole saw do you own?

Latest posts

Back