Three saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T540XP (have to have a top handle)
562XP (perfect for getting wood)
?? I have a pole saw which is really nice - but you could go the other way and have a nice 70cc - saw

Spike,
what model pole saw do you own?

I have the 327P5X, which is the 2 piece unit. Now that they have the telescoping model, sales of the P5X have dropped to almost zilch. But I still like mine better. For one thing, it's a lot lighter. And when broken down it fits into a short box pick up like my Dakota. The telescoping one, even when fully retracted is still pretty big; a little over 9ft long.

I couldn't really get by doing what I do with just three saws but I think for most people a 50cc class saw should be primary. Most of the firewood in the world likely gets cut by a saw in this class. This should be a good quality saw. Then I think on the high end you should have a large saw (90cc or larger). This saw could be an old 40 lb relic if it isn't something you're going to use a lot but will need sometimes. If your going to use it a lot, this should also be a modern, good quality saw. Then I think it is very useful to have a small saw. (very small). There are lots of times when I use a Stihl 018. This little saw with its .043 gauge chain works great for limbing, cutting big bushes, pruning, cutting the odd piece of lumber (cordless saw) etc. The "small saw" can be a cheap one. A new little saw can be had for under $200 and used for a lot less. I fix up and sell Poulan 2000 saws all the time for $45 and they work well as the small saw.

With those three, a person can deal with about any cutting situation. Now start filling in the gaps.

I would not be without a 40cc class saw. Stihl 3/8 low profile chisel chain really made my 3800Redmax perform will. At least 30 percent of cut times. But it is the light weight that makes this saw a winner. I can cut and trim more cedar in a day with it than my 2153 Jonsered.

Now this saw is one I could not live without.

1. 044- In the throws of being ported by the Monkey as we speak..
2. 026 and 261
3. 200t
4. 660 and 066 Red- yeah the 660 is getting ported when the 044 gets back
5. MS880- it doesn't get used nearly as much as the others, but it's there for when it's needed.

Latest posts

Back