Three used saws to chose from, all the same price. What one?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

All three are the same price in the local rag. What one does a guy go for and why?

• Husqvarna 41

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Husqvarna 142

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Echo CS370

Votes: 16 80.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I saw an almost new looking Echo 370 with a nice (original I think) bar and chain in a pawn shop for a little over 200.

And bought a less new looking Echo 400, with an off color starter cover from another place for 100, which I thought was a pretty good deal. Starts right up.

Both saws had the aluminum top handle, which I like.

I guess the 400 was a better deal if that's all you want to spend. But the $200 saw has the new bar and chain(about $40 retail), and was shinier and cleaner and will be less likely to need any other parts replaced as soon.

Buying a used saw can be a money pit if you don't have an extra cheap source for parts.
I knew I could buy a new chain at the outlet store for $5, and I had an old toothbrush.
Might paint the starter cover black if I decide to keep it.

I did not find it that way sir. It came to me in quite a different state.
So the patience only pays off if you have an accumulation of parts, or a source for cheap or free parts, for a certain particular saw....

I get it I think.

I bought a brand new in the box CS490 from a pawn shop for $220 out the door, with 60 day in store warranty included.
But I don't expect to find another deal like that anytime in the foreseeable future.
So I wouldn't suggest that anybody wait until they find the same deal before making a purchase.
But I do think it's a good idea to have some fkexibility in what you're looking for to get the best condition saw at the best price.

You guys must live in another dimension than me. The last time I saw a chainsaw offered on CL or anywhere else for $50-$100 was NEVER.

While y'all are at it, could you pick up the next single family home you see advertised under $200 for me?
If you can't find used chainsaws for cheap or even free (my last one) it means you're not looking too hard. Lots of people have a chainsaw that won't run and they're done with them, sometimes they end up in a dumpster or they give them to someone who fixes them. At this time I'm not actively pursuing chainsaws but still have offers of cheap or free saws in all conditions..

If you can't find used chainsaws for cheap or even free (my last one) it means you're not looking too hard. Lots of people have a chainsaw that won't run and they're done with them, sometimes they end up in a dumpster or they give them to someone who fixes them. At this time I'm not actively pursuing chainsaws but still have offers of cheap or free saws in all conditions..
Yup, just gotta get out there.

I'd sure like to know where you fellas are finding the cheap saws.

Everyone around here think they are all sitting on a pot of gold.
All three of those saws I listed, they are asking $120-$125 and one of them needs work....

Edit:
I don't mind getting my hands a bit greasy. Have the aptitude to pull one apart and reassemble...

Saws between free up to $50. all need a bit of work, most usually fuel related bits, carb rebuild, fuel filter and lines, somewhere between $25 - $40. in parts and a leisurely couple hours of cleaning and assembly. Still not a big investment for a PRO chainsaw like Stihl 026 ,Sachs Dolmar 110 ,111, 115, many 023 , 025`s.

My last 026 pro I found at the scrap metal yard in a dumpster along with two other saws, one an Echo top handle, which I took also. I think around $15 for the three..maybe a bit more, it's been a couple of years. The third saw I believe was an 025 which I also got running...

I have a 370 that has been used daily for a year now to delimb and cut branches. It's great because it's light and does what I need it to with branches under 12" diameter. Above that, and the chain had better be sharp.

I must say the 370 is not a little ripper though. Keep a sharp chain on it and it will start every time you need it to and cut most everything.

Back