Ticks, Here They Come Again...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not talking about an emerald ash borer. This insect that I showed above has yellow and black stripes, is about an inch or more long, has long legs, is easy to see and bites humans like mad. It attacks ash wood, digs tunnels inside ash logs, and even goes after other hardwoods as well. It's mandibles are strong.

After it crawled up the back of my pant leg, it chewed into the backside of my leg behind the knee. Next day the entire area swelled up, stiffened up, and oozed all over the place. My jeans were then actually wet-stained with the plasma as my body started to fight the invasion. It took two weeks for the wound to finally disappear and only after I started treating the infected area with antibiotic salve.

This insect is not to be taken lightly. No Pics of the ugly wound course, so I guess it never happened, right? Give me a break.

I was trying to research the beatle you posted a picture of and haven't had any luck yet.
I did find this- http://www.emeraldashborer.info/files/E2944.pdf
Something did bite the hell out of my right leg last week when i was splitting. Left a welt the size of a quarter, swelled up and oozed for a week. I just thought that I got bitten by a spider or something?
I've seen beatles like the pictures you posted, but never payed any attention to them.

I was trying to research the beatle you posted a picture of and haven't had any luck yet.
I did find this- http://www.emeraldashborer.info/files/E2944.pdf
Something did bite the hell out of my right leg last week when i was splitting. Left a welt the size of a quarter, swelled up and oozed for a week. I just thought that I got bitten by a spider or something? I've seen beetles like the pictures you posted, but never payed any attention to them.

The beetle that bit you is probably the same beetle that bit me, but it is not the emerald ash borer and is much larger in size. Little is known about them except that they love to tunnel into ash logs and a few other hardwoods. Spider bites are almost identical to these. However, these striped beetles vastly outnumber spiders near any wood pile that contains ash. The bite can severely affect some people by causing massive joint swelling and muscle numbness, even leading to fever.

OK, we've wandered off the tick subject, and apparently our Forum members are not having any severe trouble this year with ticks, spiders, or insects. Only you and me have been affected by such critters. Let's use DEET and move on.

After finding 3 on me last year in March I went online and bought permethrin.

Spray all my work shoes plus my kids shoes and haven't found one on us since.

It lasts for 6 weeks, so I mark it on the calendar and spray away. It's not cheap, but neither is a doctors visit.

Your picture is of a Banded Ash Borer, Neoclytus caprea. It is supposed to be harmless to humans but lots of insects, if squeezed by clothing will bite. Wait, you don't have a wooden leg by chance, especially one made of ash?

Last edited:

It lasts for 6 weeks, so I mark it on the calendar and spray away. It's not cheap, but neither is a doctors visit.

Over the years I've probably picked 500 or so ticks off me. I've yet to go to the doctor because of one. Maybe tomorrow, but not yet.

Over the years I've probably picked 500 or so ticks off me. I've yet to go to the doctor...

Yeah... me too.
But don't ever forget about something called, "The Law of Averages." Dad's had Lyme disease twice, both times caught early and easily treated with no lasting health issues. But a friend of mine got Lyme from a tick bite while turkey hunting, spring of 2012. His body reacted to the infection and he ended up with some sort of "syndrome" (don't remember the name now), then landed in Rochester Mayo Clinic for several months, fell into a coma and was put on life support for near a month of that time. The family was twice called in for last rites... the doctors say it's a plain miracle he survived, they say his extreme good health, physical strength and flat "will to live" pulled him through, a lessor man wouldn't have made it. For weeks after the coma he'd fall in and out of delirium with days when he didn't know who his wife was... heck, he didn't even know who he was.

I ran into him this spring at the fleet store... he still hasn't gained all his weight back, half his face is partially paralyzed, headaches, numbness in his feet and hands, short-term memory problems, stiffness in joints, breathing problems and sleeplessness. The doctors say he'll be fighting those, and probably other problems for years, maybe the remainder of his life (early 50's now). Ya' gotta' love his attitude though, he claims the doctors are wrong and he's getting better every day, he says, "Hey, last September they also told me I'd never walk again... and look at me now!"

This year I've probably pulled 15-20 ticks off me, all crawling, none embedded.
Every time I do I think of him...

None on my shoes, but I do spray it on lower pants legs and around the waists. Spray it outdoors, and let it dry thoroughly there. Also get hats and around shirt sleeves, etc.

All things considered, the economy-size 24-oz spray bottle is a great bargain compared to the alternatives. Permethrin repels deer ticks by killing them. Sounds good to me.

OTOH, Deet is totally ineffective against deer ticks. Might help against West Nile with mosquitos though. :msp_smile:

I do understand. Believe me I don't in no way go looking for that little creeps. Every night during the summer I look myself over with a mirror for ticks. The thing is you never know when they "drop" down on ya. But then whatever should get on my during the day, is off my night. It's turned into a habit. This 8 month tick and flea collar for me dog is working well too. On him, of course. :rock:

A good friend of mine's son got the lyme disease. For almost a year he was an invalid. Never knew that stuff was that bad. But I do now.

Last edited:
Back