Ticks !!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was cutting sod for my friends father. Damn white faced ones got me on the top of the head as I was bent over rolling sod. They hurt a lot even though it was only 3 stings.

I stepped on a yellow jacket ground nest last year and got hit several times. Nearly got pummeled again when I went back for revenge. Stupid deer flies buzzing masked their hum until it was almost too late.

Interesting thing. One area where we camp has a different species of wasp. They are black and white like a bald face but shaped like a yellow jacket. About halfway in size between a yellow jacket and a bald face. Any idea what those are?

I stepped on a yellow jacket ground nest last year and got hit several times. Nearly got pummeled again when I went back for revenge.

When I was a kid I was in the forest and saw a pile of old, rotten newspapers. Being a soccer player, I sized it up and kicked it with a running start. Yep, yellow jacket nest. They weren't too impressed with my kick and let me know it.

Rather interesting that they have a pill for dogs that works to get rid of ticks. One pill a month and the dogs have no problem with them. Why is it that no similar pill is available for humans who work outdoors?

Looks like the vets are ahead of the PCP's.
who knows what harmful effects health wise on the dog will occur? I am leery of it.

Native Americans say that indoor peppermint plants are great for repelling spiders. Sometimes natural is best.

Spiders hate the smell of peppermint. 5-6 drops of 100% peppermint oil mixed with 8 oz water in a spray bottle (with a 1-2 drops of Dove dishwashing detergent to help it dissolve) has done wonders to eliminate spider webs in the corners of my house. Plus, it smells really nice.

Since ticks have 8 legs and an exoskeleton just like spiders, I wonder if peppermint oil sprayed on your body and clothes will also repell ticks.

Since lemongrass-eucalyptus oil dissolved in water is known to be effective as a natural repellent for mosquitos, I wonder if it also will work on ticks.

As far as I know, peppermint and lemon-eucalyptus oils dissolved in water are safe for use on dogs.

Just saw this above the house on Friday. At this point I’ll probably just wait until freeze up to take it down. Climbing a ladder to wage chemical warfare doesn’t seem like a good idea.

FFAD7E03-4A42-47F9-90F8-331242C2CF33.jpeg

Not sure which are worse, SVK: the pests in your Pic or yellow jackets. I discovered a nest of YJ's in one of my retaining walls. They got in through the cracks between the blocks, and I imagine they are devouring dead roots, rotting away from an evergreen tree that I had removed over four years ago. These beasties can sting you several times and come back for more. So far they have proven that they are immune to Raid. I have some old melathion that I may try next.

I should mention these are the big white face bass terds. So they should leave me alone as long as I do the same.
Yellow jackets will never leave you alone. They are relentless dive bombers that team up in an attack on any animal that threatens their abode. In my underground "hotel", I have managed to house hundreds of them, perhaps thousands.

Just saw this above the house on Friday. At this point I’ll probably just wait until freeze up to take it down. Climbing a ladder to wage chemical warfare doesn’t seem like a good idea.

View attachment 672295
Stay away from that, Hornets and electricity!!!!! its away from your path of travel so you wont get stung anyway.

Not sure which are worse, SVK: the pests in your Pic or yellow jackets. I discovered a nest of YJ's in one of my retaining walls. They got in through the cracks between the blocks, and I imagine they are devouring dead roots, rotting away from an evergreen tree that I had removed over four years ago. These beasties can sting you several times and come back for more. So far they have proven that they are immune to Raid. I have some old melathion that I may try next.
I am sure what is worse any of them that are in the ground that you cant see that nail you when you are just walking anywhere. The high nests ain't really a problem I suppose how close they are to where you walk and live then could be.

Yellow jackets will never leave you alone. They are relentless dive bombers that team up in an attack on any animal that threatens their abode. In my underground "hotel", I have managed to house hundreds of them, perhaps thousands.
These are the black and white ones so no issues until you get too close.

Latest posts

Back