Tie in lanyard

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihlcutter

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Im looking to make my own tie in lanyard. I planning on taking about 12-16ft of some Static 11mm rope and taking two snaps or Locking carribeners and just making it that way to save some $. What do ya'll think? Have you done something similar or have any advice?

Thanks,
-ac

Im looking to make my own tie in lanyard. I planning on taking about 12-16ft of some Static 11mm rope and taking two snaps or Locking carribeners and just making it that way to save some $. What do ya'll think? Have you done something similar or have any advice?

Thanks,
-ac

Just remember the price of ropes, snaps, and 'biners still ads up and if saving $ is your main goal, you may not be able to achieve it DIY. That being said, I make all my own. It's nice to be able to chose the exact length and materials you want to use and you have the ability to reuse semi worn parts as well. Made one today out of the lightly used end of my old climb line for instance.

I used to make my own out of 3 strand but now I buy steel core fliplines. When u say static I think of my 9mm repelling line, is that what u r talking about.

What are you calling static? Real static is hard to get a firm knot. Velocity, Tachyon is OK and will knot well. You can make a prusik out of Tenex or use a rope grab to make it adjustable. 3-Strand is easy to braid. Send pics as you progress. :yoyo:

Last edited:
It's very do-able and for very low cost. The hardware can be used over and over.

116613d1259637506-new-16ft-lanyard-jpg

Southern pine is the darker wood? what's the yellow wood.....sweet!

Thanks,
-ac

If you go snaps, captured eye 'biners, fit a split- thimble to increase radius of rope bend.

I used to make my own out of 3 strand but now I buy steel core fliplines. When u say static I think of my 9mm repelling line, is that what u r talking about.

Yes,like you said you buy steel core flip lines. I have one. I used to do alot of rock climbing and have alot of extra Static climb rope. I like static because its easier to tie knots in and has a little more stretch. I do alot more tree care and removal now,more so than rock climbing.
-ac

Southern pine is the darker wood? what's the yellow wood.....sweet!

That was my plan acctually exactly. Im going to take two 'beaners (not mexicans) and take about 16ft of Static line and tie a double fishermans not to each carribeaner. So if i climb a big tree i just wrap less and if i climb a small dia. tree then i wrap more. Just a simple inexpensive way to save some money. I have everything. Just wanted to run it by you guys scince i am still newer in climibing. About a year or so.
-ac

Yes,like you said you buy steel core flip lines. I have one. I used to do alot of rock climbing and have alot of extra Static climb rope. I like static because its easier to tie knots in and has a little more stretch. I do alot more tree care and removal now,more so than rock climbing.
-ac

With all due respect I have done some rock climbing and u dont want static for it unless you enjoy getting the #### jerked out of you if you slip. U have ur ropes mixed up static doesnt strech and is very hard to tie knots in and because it doent strech it is the gold standerd for repelling. The name of the rope u rock climb with is dynamic. Thanks James

With all due respect I have done some rock climbing and u dont want static for it unless you enjoy getting the #### jerked out of you if you slip. U have ur ropes mixed up static doesnt strech and is very hard to tie knots in and because it doent strech it is the gold standerd for repelling. The name of the rope u rock climb with is dynamic. Thanks James

:agree2: Static rope does not stretch and is hard to knot. Dynamic rope,
Arborist rope 7/16 or 1/2 inch comes in 12, 16, or 24 strand, and stretches 6 - 9% but is eay to tie and hold knots.

What rope are you using?

Sorry about that, I guess i was going for dynamic. Thats what i am planning to use. I have about 10 sets of different line i use or have used. I dont mind cutting a few
-ac

Sorry about that, I guess i was going for dynamic. Thats what i am planning to use. I have about 10 sets of different line i use or have used. I dont mind cutting a few
-ac

I am sure they will serve u well.

:agree2: Static rope does not stretch and is hard to knot. Dynamic rope,
Arborist rope 7/16 or 1/2 inch comes in 12, 16, or 24 strand, and stretches 6 - 9% but is eay to tie and hold knots.

What rope are you using?

If i am top rope climbing in a tree, i tend to use the Petzel Zephyr. I just put a rope protector on it to sit in the crotch.

That was my plan acctually exactly. Im going to take two 'beaners (not mexicans) and take about 16ft of Static line and tie a double fishermans not to each carribeaner. So if i climb a big tree i just wrap less and if i climb a small dia. tree then i wrap more. Just a simple inexpensive way to save some money. I have everything. Just wanted to run it by you guys scince i am still newer in climibing. About a year or so.
-ac

Tie a double fishermans not to 1 beaner and run it through the other { works better with a captive eye} then tie a blakes or taunt line friction hitch with a small tail and stopper knot and viola ajustable lanyard.
This is by far the cheapest way.

Uhm? Other than its 10.5mm and Very little Static. Nope.
-ac

Just thinking about working load limit if its a rock climbing rope its designed for just you not all ur gear. But I dont know the specs on the rope, it might be fine. The ropes they scale big walls with were they have to carry cams and other gear I belive are a little stronger than a top rope

Last edited:
Lanyard.jpg

Here is one off mine. KMIII does take some time for the knot to seat well and stop creeping but it flips nice. I milked some of the core off the tail and whipped a keychain biner in to clip off the slack. The pulley is some no-name brand I got with a plastic sheave. I think it may even be lighter that a dog snap. My other lanyard is a wire-core with basically the same set-up. Friction hitch and a pulley.

Back