Tillotson HK

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frogfarmer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Two Tillotson carbs both HK models one on an 034 the other on an 038 Super that will flood the crankcase on ocassion and create a hard start situation. I've had both these saws for years and it's always been that way. If you remember to lay the saws on the clutch cover its never an issue. After close inspection of the internals I see there is a small orifice from the fuel side to the main jet on these carbs. I have learned to work around the problem but wondered if anyone else has had the same issue with an HK carb. New carbs are ordered and not Tillotson.

Probably had them but didn't notice that. Wondering if maybe you have a problem with the tank vent which might create pressure in the tank and pushing fuel into the carb when not running. Maybe some fuel leaking past the inlet needle? If you change carbs and it doesn't fix the problem you might check that vent, Stihl has been experimenting with them forever.

I like many here suffer from CAD so these are just two of a dozen I have. The tank vents are good and the internals of the carbs are good. One plus for these saws has always been they are very easy to start when they don't flood. I figured it was a bad carb or a vent for a long time and never realized they had the same carb design. Now that I know it's the carb and they were very low production numbers I have new replacements ordered. Thanks for the reply.

Back