Timber Fallers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I noticed that they were not advertising locally--Yakima. I found that off the Olympic Peninsula Craig's List. Out of towners are needed, I guess.

Probably all the local guys know about it. It's not hard to find fallers but finding good fallers who'll work in the black on steep ground, put up with the snags and foot traps, and know how to save out that stuff when it starts getting brittle, might be in short supply.
One good thing about burn salvage...you don't have to worry about smashing any reprod for the first year or two. ;)

Hmmm, wonder if they'll keep the road plowed open that comes this way. They've done so in the past. That's where the flooded truck was from. The mills over here buy from the Yakama Tribal folks.

The one big time salvage I worked on was hard on people who didn't know how to walk with snowshoes on. The loggers hired guys to shovel out paths to the trees, if they didn't have a cat to
doze out the trees and trails. It was a record year for snow and if I didn't have snowshoes on, I had to stay on the skid trails or drop out of sight. There was 6 feet of snow on the ground.
It was interesting and cold.

prob shouldn't put this here... Whatever..

Got an email back from em, 320 per day, they want 30 day contracts, Haven't heard about who covers insurance, L+I, or housing...

Eastern Warshington isn't so bad, its steeper here... At least on the east side its drier, so your toes don't start to mildew after the first 3 hours. No viney maples, no devils club, no salmon berries, no black berry thickets, Hel that's before it burned

If the housing thing works out, or if I can find a chitty camper to hole up in, I may have to seriously think about it, its paying better then the day job is currently.

250MMbf is enough volume that it will likely affect our prices on this side. Have to keep an eye on that.

All the pine beattle/burn stuff has affected prices at least a little bit for the last few years at least with pine anyway. this last burn, I don't think that there are enough loggers or equipment to salvage it before it rots, or burns again.

The mooses hang out more in up nort warshington. Rattlesnakes also don't hang out at the higher elevations, but I can't say what that elevation is. Maybe they got burned up though. I grew up on da east side and never saw a scorpion, but there were lots of black widows. Elks like that side of the hill.

If any of you do work there, it isn't a very far drive to come over for the swap meet and the Logger's Jubilee is in August, if you are still working then.

hmmmm... the word "employee" at the end and the list of equipment you need to provide as well as own tranportation... housing? tough to get deductions on all those expenses as an employee....

Latest posts

Back