Timberchamp Kinetic Splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even if you were to raise this up on some type of platform, with having to use two hands to run it you still have to pick up the splits from the ground to resplit. Don't think I would be interested at any price.

I've been searching for a setup that allows for both large rounds and smaller (less than 16"). The super split was a first choice for me, but given the price I need to work my way to it. So, I started by purchasing a 22ton Dirty Hands Splitter, which will take care of the larger rounds. I also bought this Timber Champ from my local Rural King. Together I spent roughly $1400. When compared to the $3000 for the SS after shipping this seems like a good first step in prep for the nicer SS. After about 30 mins of splitting here are my thoughts:

The rack and pinion isn't pristine but it does the job. There is some grinding at times, and the pinion and rack will take wear.

BUT, this thing splits fast. I am very use to splitting with a maul or Wedge and Sledge. This is faster.

If you are considering getting this, it really only makes sense if you also have a standard hydraulic splitter to account for the larger and gnarly rounds. But, the two together could be a great force to be reckoned with. My plan is to quarter my larger rounds and then quickly slice them down to manageable wood stove size with the timber champ.

Hope this helps.

Back