Timberframe Barn build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow!

Awesome project.

I'd love to see the plans. 28' is a pretty wide span. They did some spans like that long ago with a "swing beam". So you could pull in the hay wagons and turn them around without a post in the way.

Wish you were closer I'd love to help out and learn a bit.
There is a post mid span at 12', I'll have doors on each end close to 16' wide.

6816afa873eb915b9384310686c2c0b2.jpg

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

There is a post mid span at 12', I'll have doors on each end close to 16' wide.

6816afa873eb915b9384310686c2c0b2.jpg

Do You know of Richard "****" Babcock? He started TF work with his uncle many years ago and many credit him for the revival of timberframing. He restored many historical barns using the old methods. One of the barns was a German barn with the "swing beam". I believe this is one of the barns he restored and moved to Wolftrap Performing Arts Center. He took apart these old barns, restored them, and re-erected them. Some had continuous plates 50' long. This was all done with block and tackles and ginpoles, no cranes or powered machines.

I had the pleasure of knowing **** but never got a chance to work with him. I did learn how to do traditional layout using a chalkline, divider/compass, and plumb bob. Also how to layout timbers from logs. No squares, tapes, etc needed.

Please update this as you proceed.

I like your scarf joints! I'd a been nice if you could find trees to make those beams continuous for each bent.

**** passed a few years ago.

Do You know of Richard "****" Babcock? He started TF work with his uncle many years ago and many credit him for the revival of timberframing. He restored many historical barns using the old methods. One of the barns was a German barn with the "swing beam". I believe this is one of the barns he restored and moved to Wolftrap Performing Arts Center. He took apart these old barns, restored them, and re-erected them. Some had continuous plates 50' long. This was all done with block and tackles and ginpoles, no cranes or powered machines.

I had the pleasure of knowing **** but never got a chance to work with him. I did learn how to do traditional layout using a chalkline, divider/compass, and plumb bob. Also how to layout timbers from logs. No squares, tapes, etc needed.

I like your scarf joints! I'd a been nice if you could find trees to make those beams continuous for each bent.

Wow!!! The PC police have censored the common name for Richard. How about Richard Hertz?

Wow!

Awesome project.

I'd love to see the plans. 28' is a pretty wide span. They did some spans like that long ago with a "swing beam". So you could pull in the hay wagons and turn them around without a post in the way.

Wish you were closer I'd love to help out and learn a bit.
In response to plans...I don't have any except what's in my head. A lot of people are looking at me like I'm nuts when I tell them that but I work well that way. I basically found some beam calculators and ran with it. I figured for 80 psf floor load for the 2nd floor and came out with a 10x16" beam as what would support that load with the tributary area that each beam would have to support. The 80psf is the combined live load (load that changes) and the dead load (load from weight of building materials). I figured the roof for 60psf combined load, that's the combination of the snow load and dead load for my area. It was a lot of figuring that starts at the peak of the roof and works down to the floor. That's why the beams and posts are so big. The bracing is figured for the wind load I have here. 4x4 braces would have worked but I went with 4x6's to balance the looks of them against the big timbers. I've learned a lot so far in this one, the learning curve has been nuts with this being my first frame.

I haven't heard of him but that's very interesting. They used to be able to do the long plates when there was still old growth trees to be found. The gin poles are amazing in their simplicity and ease of use. I'll be using one to do the roof framing. Like I said, I'm on my own on this project so I have to be creative on how I lift my walls. That frame on my tractor loader is what I made to lift my bent halves and it's working out very well.

What an excellent job you are doing the results will be amazing and the feel of accomplishment that Barn will last forever very impressive keep us updated with the pictures please very interested in this project

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Very cool, I like it a lot. I don't think your nuts for having the plan in your head, look forward to more pics.

Forestry Forum has a good forum on timberframing, also the Timber Framers Guild.

I got to know an old timer who put up and repaired barns by traditional methods. The raisings were all done with gin poles and block and tackle. Also got to learning a bit about hewing logs into timbers and doing joinery layout using just a: compass/divider, chalkline, plumbbob. No squares tapes rulers needed at all.

Forestry Forum has a good forum on timberframing, also the Timber Framers Guild.

I got to know an old timer who put up and repaired barns by traditional methods. The raisings were all done with gin poles and block and tackle. Also got to learning a bit about hewing logs into timbers and doing joinery layout using just a: compass/divider, chalkline, plumbbob. No squares tapes rulers needed at all.
I have a more detailed thread going over there. I've been on here for about 7 years and thought it'd be good to share here too.

I have a more detailed thread going over there. I've been on here for about 7 years and thought it'd be good to share here too.

you started a thread over on hoarders too, i was following it and somehow lost track of it and was never able to find it again

you started a thread over on hoarders too, i was following it and somehow lost track of it and was never able to find it again
On Hoarders or *****? Put up so many of them now I've lost track. In too many forums I think. I've slowed way down on them over the last couple of years.

hoarders is where i was following it.

i know what you mean, i used to keep up with about 6 different forums. recently i have dropped that to 3-4 and only post a limited amount on 2.

Not as much done as I wanted today, took the day off from work and spent half of it clearing ice and snow off of the slab. Cut the tenons in six wall plates and got them into one bent and ready for the next bent to go up. Just came in due to the rain coming in. Hopefully I can stand more tomorrow.

e23b335024baceec0747e6fcb41f9079.jpg

602954d5cd03e832bb6c5378ae2350d1.jpg

Great thread!! Milling forum has been dead as of late this is just what we needed. Keep up the good work!

What did that bandsaw run you?

Latest posts

Back