Timberline chain sharpener

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buck#1

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Just order a new timberline chain sharpener, looks pretty sweet just wondering if any one has one and what they think.

I think that's what I have mounted on the bench in the garage. It works well. I usually use it on chains that have gotten past the point a file will bring them back to life because it will remove a lot of material.

Apparently I am doing something wrong with mine. I have found it difficult to set and use. I had to reset it for the opposite side and had a hard time getting the teeth close to even. For what I paid for it, I am sorely disappointed.

I file the chain till they are no longer usable and pitch them into my scrap pile.

No this is small mounts right on bar, and uses carbide burrs to sharpen teeth. looks like it will work awesome and fast.

I've got one and really like it.
It takes a little getting used to but once you get the feel, it's easy to use and yields great results.
It's important to take small bites when sharpening. You might have to make a couple of passes on a very dull chain and four or more on a chain that's been rocked. Taking small bites extends the life of the cutters as well.
I got a chain vise, from forum member Homelite 410, it works great with the Timberline.
I sharpened a chain for a neighbor who has always sharpened with a file. He was so impressed with the results that he bought a Timberline and is planning on ordering a chain vise.

The key is to take your time initially and get the feel of using the sharpener.

I have one too. The first time you sharpen any chain will be harder on the carbide so really pay attention to the enclosed instructions. I suggest you count the turns you take on each tooth.

Back