Timberwolf tw-6 or tw-7

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theoctagon

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have been looking into different splitters. We have a northern tool 37 ton vert/horizontal splitter right now. I want something that will process faster. I dont know if the firewood attachment, 4 way, or 6 way is the way to go but i know i split a lot of 30 plus inch wood. Does anyone have one of these?????

I have a TW-5 with a four-way, table and lift. I have nothing but good to say about it. The table and lift are options that I would not be without. I use to split all day with a vertical/horizontal splitter and my back let me know at days end it did not appreciate what I was doing. I split all day now with this splitter with no back pains. Well worth the money.

Have the TW-7.

The 7 is pretty much designed for using the box wedge. But chances are you won't want to use it unless you are selling bundled firewood. If you are using a 4 way or 6 way wedge, the 7 is over engineered. If you are not selling bundles, I would go with the 6. (Not sure of price comparison though)

Have had the 7 for three to four years now. No problems yet (knock on wood).

I have the TW 6 and have been very happy with it. Very much a backsaver.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

I have a tw5 with the auto cycle , log lift and table - its a lot of splitter. Not sure what the cost difference is between the 5 and the 6 ---------- but you need 3 people to keep up with the tw5. It can split a lot of wood per hour.

I have the tw-6, log lift, table, and 4 way are a must...I have the 6 way and hardly use it as it leads to a lot of reprocessing and tiny slivers. I say the log lift is a must even though I dont have one in that this machine will split anything put on it and it will split way larger than 1 or even 2 people could lift. Since you are looking at new, I'd recomend getting an autocylce valve for it since they are no longer installed.

When I purchased my TW-5 the dealer told me mine was the last one coming with the auto-cycle feature. I did not think too much about it at the time but have since found it to be a nice feature. Split again today and each time I use it I am so impressed. Must admit there were times when I had doubts about spending so much on a wood splitter. Doubts are all gone. Just wish I had done it earlier.

I bought the TW-3HD (3 pt mount) 6 weeks ago. Very well made and I love it. I especially like the fixed wedge, it eliminates having to wrestle with pieces that do not split all the way.

Thank you guys for all the replies! I think the 6 is a grand or more less than the 7. I am thinking the 6 is the way to go since i dont sell bundled fire wood. The cost scares me quite a bit but if they are built like they say they are i will own it for a very long time. How many cords of wood have you guys sent through your timberwolf splitters???

tw6

this is my 3rd tw . the tw6 is one bad a@@ splitter it will kept 3 men verry busy . the log lift is the key to save your back .get the tw6 or the built right both asome splitters split about 150 cords god bless our troops

Last edited:
I have ran about 30 cord thru mine since August. As a guy with a bad back, this Splitter was worth every penny paid. People who think a vertical Splitter is the way to go for big stuff have evidently never ran a Timberwolf. I love it when a tree service dumps me big logs.

While a log lift would be very nice, they are also very expensive and block using the splitter from that side. I also assume that you do a lot of walking around from one side (to put the rounds on the lift) to the other side to operate the splitter.

Two things I've found to help solve the big log issue:

Put the splitter all the way down on the ground and roll the rounds up a ramp made out of a couple of boards. Cheapest approach and works well if you only rarely have big ones.

I have added a Harbor Freight "truck crane" (~$120) onto my TW3HD. It comes with a hand winch and that works pretty well with a pair of tongs for lifting up the big ones and swinging them onto the bed. Next, I replaced the hand winch with a 12v winch (~$70) That works even better. This approach even has the potential to pull rounds in from further away, or down over a hill.

Ken

I find that it is a non issue to run the controls from the lift side if I have to. I often set up this way when dealing with big rounds so I can roll them the shortest distance.
a6b603e6-1620-2de8.jpg

I find that it is a non issue to run the controls from the lift side if I have to. I often set up this way when dealing with big rounds so I can roll them the shortest distance.
a6b603e6-1620-2de8.jpg

Why do you have your 4 way on the ground? I would think the TW 6 could push right through that round with the wedge on.

At that time I was splitting some huge cottonwood that was quite stringy when splitting. It was easier to off-load it when just using the 2 way. The logs were bucked to a length where I did not have enough room to load another piece to push it thru. I was still going thru the learning curve at that time.

Latest posts

Back