Time Cert/Heli Coil inserts for Stihl trimmer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AT sawyer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Looking for some advice on repairing stripped threads on a Stihl FS-85 string trimmer. The torx screws holding the pull cord assemblies were overtightened on several of our trimmers and stripped out the threads. I took one a local dealer to see how he'd do it, but he used some kind of epoxy that didn't work for crap. I've seen steel inserts advertised as a permanent fix but thought I'd ask here:

Is there enough metal in the head of an FS-85 to take the drilling and tapping for an insert?

What's the depth stop necessary to keep me from ruining the powerhead when I drill out the new hole?

Are the steel inserts a good permanent fix?

Pro/con experience with Time Cert and Helicoil?

Thanks in advance.

I don't have an 85, I've 3 fs 80's and a fs74 and a 90R so I can't speak to the amount of metal. But I've had excellent results on the heli-coils, I've never had one fail, I've used them on farm equipment and on a car block where a intake bolt had been stripped. Just be sure and use the right size bit, they sell kits with the bit and everything you need, it is very easy to do.

time-certs and helicoils

i've used both the time-cert and helicoil inserts. i usually prefer the time-certs for chainsaws and such, especially in a "blind" bore where you cant break out the bottom of a helicoil. i'd use a helicoil to fix my ford.

larry

The Time cert inserts looked short, but if they're steel, it'll be an improvement over the worn aluminum threads.

Looking for some advice on repairing stripped threads on a Stihl FS-85 string trimmer. The torx screws holding the pull cord assemblies were overtightened on several of our trimmers and stripped out the threads. I took one a local dealer to see how he'd do it, but he used some kind of epoxy that didn't work for crap. I've seen steel inserts advertised as a permanent fix but thought I'd ask here:

Is there enough metal in the head of an FS-85 to take the drilling and tapping for an insert?

What's the depth stop necessary to keep me from ruining the powerhead when I drill out the new hole?

Are the steel inserts a good permanent fix?

Pro/con experience with Time Cert and Helicoil?

Thanks in advance.

I have used helicoils on motorcycles, cars, lawn mowers, and other applications and I have never had a problem.

Purchased the Time Cert

The M5X08 Time Cert kit with the 7.6 inserts worked perfectly for the FS-series weeders I repaired. Paid for itself the first time I used it. So easy, a Shop Gorilla could do it.

Back