Thread repair in plastic cases...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lakeside53

Stihl Wrenching
Reaction score
Anyone that works on a plastic saw will run into this eventually... Stripped thread. Stihl, Husky and most others have models where threads are formed by the factory insertion of the screw, and subsequent reinsertion has to be done really carefully at low torque or it strips out. I'm not talking about the big fat screws that hold the handles or buffers onto the likes of a 440, but the fine threaded screws found all over "occasional use saws".

Common repair techniques are :-
- Epoxy in the hole and screw the screw in. Great... until it needs to come a part. Thanks ebay seller...
- Put a short length of nylon trimmer line into the hole first - works well in non-critical holes.
- Stuff in a toothpick first, hmmm..
- Soldering iron in the hole - melt it. hmmmm... not if you need to apply torque...
-etc

You can get way with many of the above in non-critical positions, but if you need to apply torque and to adjust the held device, a better approach is needed.

This example is an MS290. The problem is the coil securing screws. Mine was stripped out on the top location. The coil needs to be adjusted and held securely.

I used brass woodworking inserts made for threading machine screws into wood. They were 10-32 by about 1/2 inch, but I re-threaded them in seconds (no drilling required) to M5- 0.8 - much more "stihl-like" and with better bolts available. They have a slot for a screw driver blade for insertion but this DOES NOT work in plastic - just breaks off...

attachment.php

Insert an M5 x 16 torx screw into the insert with the blade slot end DOWN. The slot acts as a cutter to cut the required threads.

attachment.php

Drill a 1/4 inch hole. Be carefull on the depth!!! I drill a series of 4 holes each increasing by 1/64 until a 1/4 is reached. This way it's easier to get the new larger hole in the exact same position as the original.

Using a T-handle T27 wrench, screw in the insert. It takes quite a bit of effort!

attachment.php

Finished result - better than new!

attachment.php

A dab of Loctite 242 (removable) on the new M5-20 screw, and it's finished.

attachment.php

Last edited:
I'm fighting the server - asked for the other one to be deleted... (you can't delete your own THREADS - just posts...

super demo andy. as usual. im not sure i could find those inserts around here. sure would give it a try though.

i have used 6mm screws for replacement. use a 6mm tap that is for aluminum. they are tighter than standard ones for steel. works for me

Lakeside53 said:
- Epoxy in the hole and screw the screw in. Great... until it needs to come a part. Thanks ebay seller...

FWIW Lakeside, I know from my marine work with epoxies, you can free screws that have been epoxied by putting a soldering iron on the screw. The epoxy softens from the heat, you unscrew the screw, and the epoxy hardens back up again with little or no reduction in strength/integrity of the composite.

Alternately, you can wipe the screw with paste wax (a molecule's thickness on the screw is OK) before you set it in wet epoxy, then let the epoxy harden, then pull the screw, and its threads will be "keyed" to the epoxy almost as if the epoxy/plastic layer had been tapped.

FWIW

Jeff

In the case of saws we are typically talking about PA66, which is nylon. It's soft and epoxy really doesn't bond all that well unless the hole is cleaned out (drilled) and roughened.

Epoxy doesn't help you with the likes of screws in Nylon that need to be adjusted and readjusted to torque to position a coil.

I have used the waxed thread idea a few times but with mixed results in soft bases There is a loctite product made expressly for this purpose, but it works best in metal cases.

I find that in removal, epoxy just pulls out with the screw and make the original hole worse. Heating the screw can be problematic - which gets soft first - the epoxy or the nylon case? I have to repair homeowner kluges from time to time - I just rip them out and deal with the hole!

I checked with Stihl to find out their recommended repair - there isn't any... anyone have info from say Husky?

Last edited:
1953greg said:
super demo andy. as usual. im not sure i could find those inserts around here. sure would give it a try though.

i have used 6mm screws for replacement. use a 6mm tap that is for aluminum. they are tighter than standard ones for steel. works for me

The inserts are really common - Got mine at the hardware store. You can even get them metric from a cabinet supply house. I've seen them in steel, brass, alumimum and stainless.

The threads on the polyform screws are a special type - they make their own threads and are quite coarse. These inserts work the same way.

Last edited:
Andy1234 said:
Nice!!!!

Have you ever tried a Helicoil in plastic??

Andy

Yes, and they don't work for beans! The thead pitch on the insert needs to be many times the pitch of the internal thread... helicoils by definition are the same pitch and just come out. Ditto with Time-serts (my favorite insert for metal).

Many techniques will work enough in a non-critical postion... just not for buffers, coils and other areas subject to stress.

Last edited:
MY thread got messed with... I had a duplicate deleted, but it looks like someone deleted the files!!! the first few guys saw them! I'm on it...

Edit - they are back.. Had to resize them again from the orginals and fake out the system... It insisted they were already uploaded, but they had been deleted...

Last edited:
Lakeside53 said:
I checked with Stihl to find out their recommended repair - there isn't any... anyone have info from say Husky?
Husky is offering inserts for plastic and magnesium,not for aluminum they say.
For PL5 screw in plastic and MT6 in magnesium.
# 5032 739 01 for PL5 screw in plastic
# 5032 740 01 for MT6 screw in mag.
Looks like the same you show in your pic ,lakeside.Ive tried both,works good.

Back