Thread repair in plastic cases...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lakeside53 said:
Not a chance - JB has it's uses, and I use a ton of it!
Best use I've had for JB weld-
Fixing cracks in a free boat (1982 Crestliner 14' high sided aluminum fishing boat). I doubted it, since the cracks were like 2-3" long, but cleaned both sides of both cracks, broke out the JB weld, and put it on both sides and let it cure. Has sat in the lake for 2 years now, in water for the entire summer, and the only time I have to empty water from it is when it rains. Does not leak at all, and is very solid, still. That was before I had the wire feed welder that can do aluminum.

Very good, better than factory looking fix for those plastic threads! Now we need a fix for broken ears on magnesium cases (screw vibrated loose on 011, chain caught it, broke the ear off on the oiler, and leaks oil).

manual said:
Ah Yes very informative.
what have you done with magnesium. Heli Coils ?

I don't like helicoils for the small metric repairs. 4 and 5mm are a real PITA. A better insert (thin wall, synced threads) is made by Timesert. You can get them from Madsens (it's what they use). Easy to put in, much stronger than the orginal thread, and 100% success rate.

Most guys (and unfortunately a few in the repair business) are just trying to fix a thread once - "it's broke, I need to fix it quick" In goes a helicoil, followed by loctite and sure, if you can get it in successfully it holds perfectly once. I like to make a thread repair a good as or better than the original, and one that will last the saws' lifetime.

Last edited:
Lakeside53 said:
Anyone that works on a plastic saw will run into this eventually... Stripped thread. Stihl, Husky and most others have models where threads are formed by the factory insertion of the screw, and subsequent reinsertion has to be done really carefully at low torque or it strips out. I'm not talking about the big fat screws that hold the handles or buffers onto the likes of a 440, but the fine threaded screws found all over "occasional use saws".

Common repair techniques are :-
- Epoxy in the hole and screw the screw in. Great... until it needs to come a part. Thanks ebay seller...
- Put a short length of nylon trimmer line into the hole first - works well in non-critical holes.
- Stuff in a toothpick first, hmmm..
- Soldering iron in the hole - melt it. hmmmm... not if you need to apply torque...
-etc

You can get way with many of the above in non-critical positions, but if you need to apply torque and to adjust the held device, a better approach is needed.

This example is an MS290. The problem is the coil securing screws. Mine was stripped out on the top location. The coil needs to be adjusted and held securely.

I used brass woodworking inserts made for threading machine screws into wood. They were 10-32 by about 1/2 inch, but I re-threaded them in seconds (no drilling required) to M5- 0.8 - much more "stihl-like" and with better bolts available. They have a slot for a screw driver blade for insertion but this DOES NOT work in plastic - just breaks off...

attachment.php

Insert an M5 x 16 torx screw into the insert with the blade slot end DOWN. The slot acts as a cutter to cut the required threads.

attachment.php

Drill a 1/4 inch hole. Be carefull on the depth!!! I drill a series of 4 holes each increasing by 1/64 until a 1/4 is reached. This way it's easier to get the new larger hole in the exact same position as the original.

Using a T-handle T27 wrench, screw in the insert. It takes quite a bit of effort!

attachment.php

Finished result - better than new!

attachment.php

A dab of Loctite 242 (removable) on the new M5-20 screw, and it's finished.

attachment.php

Awwwwwwwww the master at his best, good work there, real good work indeed but then again I wouldn't expect anyhing less from the "Leopard". Tells me my muffler is gonna be oh so pruty for sure....................

Check McMaster Carr. Do a search for thread insert and several options will come up. Great organization to deal with.

Bob

THALL10326 said:
Awwwwwwwww the master at his best, good work there, real good work indeed but then again I wouldn't expect anyhing less from the "Leopard". Tells me my muffler is gonna be oh so pruty for sure....................

Sure does draw a distinction between mechanic or technician and a mere parts-changer. It's good to see this kind of work going on in the day of disposable saws and simply replacing parts.

Yes, and they don't work for beans! The thead pitch on the insert needs to be many times the pitch of the internal thread... helicoils by definition are the same pitch and just come out. Ditto with Time-serts (my favorite insert for metal).

Many techniques will work enough in a non-critical postion... just not for buffers, coils and other areas subject to stress.
What about these husky uses which actually work half decent for places like the 125b blower air filter screw threads ? I just used my last m5x.08 pictured here is the m6 inserts anyone have the part number for the m5? I’m sure my local clueless pos dealer has no idea where to even look

Attachments

• 636C3C25-FF16-4604-A405-999E8595E4BA.jpeg
    636C3C25-FF16-4604-A405-999E8595E4BA.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 15

Latest posts

Back