Time for a bigger saw, how big to go?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewchief

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So right now I'm on the one saw plan but I think I'm ready to expand.

Right now I use a 2159 jonsered for everything, have an 18" and 24" bar, after blocking up(and noodling those blocks into smaller chunks) a large maple(it was over 36" at the base) I've decided I could use another saw.

I'd like something that can wear a 24" bar most of the time but has the ability to pull a larger one if needed, say in the 36" range, I'm not sure if a 70cc ish saw would pull the larger bar or be a big enough step up from what I have, I don't want to end up with a saw that's just a little bit better.

I'm I right in thinking that a 80cc plus saw is in my future?

What are my options for a good used saw that has decent parts availability (both new and used)? I don't need the lightest and fastest saw as I'm just cutting firewood but I don't want to buy a slow heavy pile of crap either.

Would prefer a jonsered/husky or sthil simply for some dealer support but I end up buying mostly online so that isn't a deciding factor.

Is something like a 394 or 395 ideal? More then I need?

A 372xp will pull a 28" bar in rock hard sugar maple. With authority. I doubt it would do nearly as well with the much longer 36" bar.

Those larger saws will, but the price is a big jump in weight and poor handling. The 372 is the sweet spot between big and huge. A man needs to know his limits. I know mine and run a 70cc for my big stuff.

For a true big saw, the 390xp would be the one. I feel the 395 is a more robust, reliable saw than the 390, but it comes at a cost, as it's quite a bit larger and heavier than the 390. If you don't limit yourself to Husqvarna, a Dolmar 7900/7910 or Stihl 460/461 would likely work. More power than a 372 without much added weight. 36" would be the very upper end for those saws, and bar oiling would be iffy on both in eastern hardwood. Out wast in Maple I'm sure a 562 would do fine with a 36" bar and chain.;)

High output oiler on 460 would be an option. I run 24" on 2 046s , 660 and 661. Sold 32" bar but getting a 36 light from a member. All hardwood cutting. The 66s cut more faster but heavier. I run the ported 046 the most.
As infrequently that you may need big bar, the 390xp or Stihl 46 series are good options. A lot of good said about 461.

LoveStihlQuality

I guess I'll be the wet blanket and ask you what your budget is and how often will you be using it. If I were looking for a saw in the 80cc range I'd look at a Dolmar 7900. Much lighter than my 288, it can easily pull a 36" bar without problems, and a 24" bar is a good mix of balance, cutting speed, weight, and efficiency.

I have a 30" Carlton bar for my 372XP, it will pull it fine in live oak, but a live oak log needing a bar that large takes a while to cut,

For me I need this sometimes, but not often enough to warrant a 80cc or larger saw, if I spent more than ocational time in this range I would want more.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I guess I'll be the wet blanket and ask you what your budget is and how often will you be using it. If I were looking for a saw in the 80cc range I'd look at a Dolmar 7900. Much lighter than my 288, it can easily pull a 36" bar without problems, and a 24" bar is a good mix of balance, cutting speed, weight, and efficiency.

Nothing set in stone for budget, I was hoping to find a decent saw that doesn't need a ton of work in the $400-$500 range and then figured another $100-$150 per bar/chain combo that I need to get it to fit my needs/wants. If the price is right a project saw is not out of the question.

I doubt it will see a ton of use, I don't burn firewood other then for an occasional campfire so most of my use is when I'm helping a friend out cutting wood for his folks, his dad had a stroke and can no longer cut firewood so we get together and do our best to keep them loaded up with wood.

I've heard about the Dolmar saws but have never seen a dealer around here, having a dealer nearby isn't a huge priority but it does sway things towards the Husky/Jonsered or Stihl camp, I lean a little more in the husky/jonsered direction since it seems like many in my area feel that the stihls are made of gold and priced accordingly.

FWIW I'm in no hurry to buy and can wait for a deal, I just want to have an idea of what I'm looking for so if the right deal pops up I can jump on it.

Might want to start a "want to buy" thread on the Tradin Post, list a few of the saws suggested here, give a price and see what comes out of the woodwork. Guys have 'extra' saws around that they would be willing to sell if a buyer made himself available. Be sure to state PHO (power head only) if that's all you want.

My suggestion would be for the 390xp or 2188. As you already have a 2159, its good to stay in the same family and allows to keep the chains & bars all the same gauge/pitch and interchangeable. Parts are aplenty. Also, the outboard clutch is pretty nice to have, as well as the side chain tensioner (the 395xp doesn't have these, and often the chain on a 395 would be different than your 2159). Also, these would allow for milling if you ever become so inclined.

Might want to start a "want to buy" thread on the Tradin Post, list a few of the saws suggested here, give a price and see what comes out of the woodwork. Guys have 'extra' saws around that they would be willing to sell if a buyer made himself available. Be sure to state PHO (power head only) if that's all you want.

My suggestion would be for the 390xp or 2188. As you already have a 2159, its good to stay in the same family and allows to keep the chains & bars all the same gauge/pitch and interchangeable. Parts are aplenty. Also, the outboard clutch is pretty nice to have, as well as the side chain tensioner (the 395xp doesn't have these, and often the chain on a 395 would be different than your 2159). Also, these would allow for milling if you ever become so inclined.

Good thought on the "want to buy", I'm not quite ready as it seems like my "fun money" that would go to this type of purchase is being diverted to other stuff right now.

My 2159 uses the small mount bar so the bars wouldn't be swap-able, it would be nice if they were since the 24" makes the 2159 seem nose heavy IMHO. It's also set up with the .058 gauge chain which isn't as common around here as one might like.
2188 would be nice as it would keep the fleet all the same color and the slight amount of OCD that I think I have likes that idea very much.

The 390 has an inboard clutch, the 395 has an outboard clutch. Just for clarification.

372 32-36" bar skip tooth chain. Save the extra weight and save some $$$ if it's not going to be used often.

Just my opinion.

Back