Time for a new wood hauler! Input PLEASE.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if your not willing to void you warranty I wouldnt buy a new truck, all the problems associated with all three makes are from the DPF and EGR systems, now if you remove them you void your warranty, but chances are your gonna have 100k trouble free miles with those parts removed anyway.

I love this site! Thanks to everyone that took the time out of their day to give me some info. A lot of the info may seem redundant and has been posted before, but helps re-assure my opinions on a new $40,000-$50,000 purchase. I was at my dealer of choice yesterday which is about 1.5 hours away and they found me a truck. The deal would have happened, but the truck was missing one option, the limited slip rear-end. If I'm going to spend the $ and keep the truck for a period of time I might as well get exactly what I want. I prepared myself for it, but they also really low-balled me on the trade-in. He at least was honest with me, they could only give $3,000-$3,500 for my truck which they would sell for $9,000 because they are only making $600 over invoice on the new one. He recommended that I just sell my truck outright and he would continue to look for another new one with the limited slip.

After doing my research and being concerned with warranty issues I spoke with the service department and their "diesel" guy and it doesn't look like it will be too much of an issue with the plow (as long as it has the plow prep pkg.) and aftermarket upgrades. Their diesel tech has an 08 with a plow and interestingly enough, no dpf, aftermarket turbo back exhaust, and edge with attitude programmer. He told me his truck still has all of the emissions stuff on it, it's just "invisible", wink, wink. He doesn't understand why someone wouldn't unlock the potential for more power, better fuel economy, and lower EGT's when you are paying close to $10,000 for the diesel option. Since I am not buying a new plow through the dealer the salesman can apply the "business owner" $800 discount to a 80K bumper to bumper warranty that they will honor even with upgrades and a plow. I still consider myself a Ford truck guy, but with all of the incentives and reputation of the Cummins, this Ford guy might be soon Cummins instead of Stroking. Just have to sell myself on the lack-luster interior of the Dodge and get Big Ferd sold. Thanks again everyone, it is greatly appreciated.

Join the club, I am not a Mopar guy and never have been. When it comes to a pickup that needs to work and has a diesel you have to "settle" for the Dodge. Not that they are bad trucks, just could be better. I feel Dodge has come along way but still has a distance to go. In the commercial truck market they could become #1 over Ford if they put the effort foward and some marketing. Ford is the recipiant of some pure luck that their diesels are still selling. All of our fleet customers have gotten away from Ford or went to gas engines:confused:. GM has a decent diesel in my mind. Runs good and has not had many issues. The IFS up front turns me off, especially if you are going to hang a plow up there. Nothing beats the solid axle trucks there. Hope you find what you are looking for. I settled for everything minus the tow hooks and tires. Got the tow hooks a month later (take offs, free) and the tires can be worn out soon enough:clap:.

Hey coog

I have done quite a few plow installs on the cabovers. The trucks work great with the small turning radius but most do not have the frame strength up front (Isuzu and the Ford LCF). We have had OK luck on the Fuso's. The problem is, my opinion, is that there is not an adequate amount of frame to attach the mounting before you run into the engine mounts, the load is not spread out along a significant area of frame. Had way too many come back with the lift assembly dangling because the frame broke/bent. Have you ever plowed with one, it is wild, feels like you are actually on top of the blade and visibility is awsome!

I love this site! Thanks to everyone that took the time out of their day to give me some info. A lot of the info may seem redundant and has been posted before, but helps re-assure my opinions on a new $40,000-$50,000 purchase. I was at my dealer of choice yesterday which is about 1.5 hours away and they found me a truck. The deal would have happened, but the truck was missing one option, the limited slip rear-end. If I'm going to spend the $ and keep the truck for a period of time I might as well get exactly what I want. I prepared myself for it, but they also really low-balled me on the trade-in. He at least was honest with me, they could only give $3,000-$3,500 for my truck which they would sell for $9,000 because they are only making $600 over invoice on the new one. He recommended that I just sell my truck outright and he would continue to look for another new one with the limited slip.

After doing my research and being concerned with warranty issues I spoke with the service department and their "diesel" guy and it doesn't look like it will be too much of an issue with the plow (as long as it has the plow prep pkg.) and aftermarket upgrades. Their diesel tech has an 08 with a plow and interestingly enough, no dpf, aftermarket turbo back exhaust, and edge with attitude programmer. He told me his truck still has all of the emissions stuff on it, it's just "invisible", wink, wink. He doesn't understand why someone wouldn't unlock the potential for more power, better fuel economy, and lower EGT's when you are paying close to $10,000 for the diesel option. Since I am not buying a new plow through the dealer the salesman can apply the "business owner" $800 discount to a 80K bumper to bumper warranty that they will honor even with upgrades and a plow. I still consider myself a Ford truck guy, but with all of the incentives and reputation of the Cummins, this Ford guy might be soon Cummins instead of Stroking. Just have to sell myself on the lack-luster interior of the Dodge and get Big Ferd sold. Thanks again everyone, it is greatly appreciated.

You won't be disappointed with the cummins. My old 93 will out pull any of the newer fords or chevys without an issue. I plow with it also and just love the power vs. a gasser and a powerstroke. And yes i have used both to plow with before.

tell that diesel tech to put everything he told you in writing, then get the salesman and the service manager to back up the claim in writing and tell them to add in that any ford dealer will honor the warranty not just that one dealer then have them all sign it and have it notarized.

at that point i`ll believe what the tech told you

If your looking for sheer power you need what I have..

94 Chevy with a 305:hmm3grin2orange:

That thing can't pull a lamp off a nightstand...

tell that diesel tech to put everything he told you in writing, then get the salesman and the service manager to back up the claim in writing and tell them to add in that any ford dealer will honor the warranty not just that one dealer then have them all sign it and have it notarized.

at that point i`ll believe what the tech told you

Same thing I was thinking, be wary of any verbal agreements when they're still trying to peddle the truck to you. Be double wary if the diesel tech was talking off the cuff while really just showing off his own truck to you. If they're offering some 80k warranty thing it's probably through a 3rd party, not Dodge - maybe that's how they can cover it even with a plow. Make sure it's all signed in writing and you keep a copy, you probably know how fast plows wear out front ends on medium duty trucks.

I'm pretty certain the diesels already come with the heaviest front end available and a plow still nulls the warranty, at least it did in 2008. Maybe check the Dodge website too.

Very nice truck with a great engine. I did alot of research but from what I understand, and i could be wrong (ask my wife) there is basically zero difference between a 2500 and a non dually 3500. I have a small dumpster company and we use that to haul trailers into the dump and we scale out over 26000 alot of the time. We have no problem pulling the weight but since we had a bumper hitch, we had to install helpers that is were the differnece lies. A few more situations and cautions we run into, The stock tires on this thing come with a get stuck guarantee. They are not for any type of off roading at all. In fact, if it sees a mud puddle and you are on the pavement you will be spinning. The second thing and my biggest worry is the Chyrsler transmission. I am not certain they will hold up for a long time. Before 2005 they had a different front end and had to be rebuilt before 100000 at least that is what my mechanic tells me. Your right, there is plenty of ground clearance. Overall, we have 50000 on it and it seems to be a nice truck.

There is some difference, but it's subtle.
A 3500 single rear wheel pickup will have larger brakes, and the suspension is a little heavier, and when you go into the parts store to get something the price will go up about 30%. My 98 dodge/CTD 3500 drw 4x4 has an alternator for a 2wd 2500 in it, same part number, just 30% cheaper for the 2wd. :cheers:

Andy

I drive a 01 3500 HD Chevy with a 454 and now have 164K on it and have not had to do anything to it. This truck is a wrecker and is used hard daily, and keep in mind your comparing a 3/4 ton Chevy to 1 ton and 1.5 ton Fords hardly an apples to apples comparison.

If you'd like first hand acounts of problems with all three trucks check out THEDIESELGARAGE.COM.

From what I've seen dodge and ford have the better trucks. The 6.4 has been bullet proof so far. The 6.7 has proven its self and the new auto trans are holding up like a trans should. But they suffer from allot of emisions equipment failures. But both trucks are fuel hogs with the emisions junk. That can be remedied by removing it! Overall people seem to be extatic with these new trucks the power, refinement and reliability are lightyears ahead of the old diesels. And do not by a 6.0. They are just not worth the hassle. Although I have not had any problems with mine, I just hate having the feeling of when am I going to have problems.

And in my opinion Chevy still does not make a truck! They work fine for the people that daily drive them and haul the camper on the weekend. But when you work them they fall apart. I'll use my old man as an example. He has a dmax 3/4 ton. And intended to use it as a work truck for his buisness. And well the suspension just couldn't take it. So all his work trucks are now 96 F450 and an 01 F350 both are 7.3's. F-seriies along with heavy duty dodges are made to take the abuse of the daily grind a work truck enduires.

Last edited:
1998 Chevy 3500 Dually 454 work truck

One heck of a truck. used daily to pull heavy dunpster loads. Used daily and at 210000 miles it still is a great dependable work truck.I would recommend this truck to anyone.

Thanks for the recommendations guys. I don't think I'll be able to get the diesel out of my veins, I've just gotten too used to it. A cab over would be awesome, think of the firewood you could haul! A unimog would certainly be a great way to go as well. The problem is that I also have to use the truck for other purposes that a cab over would not be ideal for, a little over-kill for a run to Wal-mart. I am still actively looking in the three to four surrounding states, there is just not anything out there with the options I need. There are tons of trucks down south, they just don't have the plow prep or any of the other cold weather options. I hate compromising, but I've made my search a little less specific. I'm considering buying a low mileage used truck and I am also now looking at the 2010 Fords. I am very skeptical of the new 6.4L , but I can always get rid of it before the 100K warranty is up if it's problematic. I didn't have to think this way back in 99, while the 7.3 powerstroke wouldn't win any drag races it was certainly proven as a reliable "do everything" diesel.

Just thought I'd throw out a final update and thank you to all that chimed in. I took the plunge and went with the Dodge Ram with the 6.7 Cummins. What a workhorse! I hauled a 1.5 full cord last week end and the truck didn't break a sweat. The exhaust brake is pretty cool as well. I hardly had to touch the brakes when trying to slow the load down. I still have to get my head wrapped around the idea that I'm now driving a Dodge, but the smile that the Cummins puts on my face more than makes up for it. :rockn:

AWESOME!

My next truck WILL be a 5.9 Cummins!

Good luck with it! Cummins makes a GREAT engine! You also need to update your signature ;)

Latest posts

Back