Time to Replace the 770G

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deereman76

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Last spring I finally Sold my "Big Saw" to a collector that had been wanting it for a couple years. Now it is time to figure out what I am going to replace it with. The old saw was a Homelite 770G, 95 CC, with a 32 Inch Bar. 22Lbs Powerhead! Loved using it, but it is better sitting on a shelf than getting worn out by me.

For my small saws I have a 029 and a MS290. I would like to stay with Stihl, due to Dealer Support near me.

I Cut 18-20 cord per year, mostly clearing woods that have been logged of all the timber. Once in a while I will happen across an Old growth tree that requires a long Bar. I Need a saw that can pull a 32-36 inch bar, but I would also like to be able to put a short bar, say 20 to 25 Inch, on it for more normal cutting.

What saw would you Recommend?

It seems that the 660 would be closest to the 770G, are there any Negatives to going with the 660 Vs, say a 460? besides the obvious Price Difference?

Thanks for your Input!

Pat.

If you will need to pull a 36" bar then 660. That being said, it sounds like you're mostly cutting firewood in which case the 460 would be easier on you day in and day out, cheaper to feed on gas, lower vibes.

I have both the 460 and 660 - the 460 with 20" B&C is a well balanced all day use rig. Great for firewood IMO.

The 660 balances well with 25" B&C and can still use all day, but it will wear you down more most definitely. You really can't go wrong with either though. You'll probably do like me if you get the 460 and eventually end up with the 660 anyway....

I would add - the 460 can pull a 32" although hardwoods better off 28" or 25" IME.

Back