Timing light

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodshave

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if a regular automotive timing light will work to set the timing on a chainsaw? I just got an electronic ignition module to convert my 090 from p&c but I don't know how to verify timing with the electronic unit.

Are you checking to see if you have spark or if the new coil will work? I don't know much about an 090 and I guess I'm confused to why you need a timing light??

You bet it works! As stated hook the light to a 12V battery and the other lead to the spark plug. Mark you flywheel at TDC and do the math for how far each fin is in degrees. Get your specs and check it out. BTW I have found the 090 to be most powerful at the limit of most advance. A little hard on the arm to start sometimes but good power none the less. Use the compression release. Mike

Magneto ignition should fire a timing light, but you'll need a 12v power source for the light. Does the flywheel have timing marks?

I agree. Use your car/truck battery for a power source.

It should work fine at typical saw engine ildle speed but I wouldn't expect it to stay accurate much higher.

My old Sun light works fine for 4, 6 and 8 but a saw sparks 16 times as much as an 8 cylinder four stroke cycle at any given rpm............................................Yikes!

My flywheel has a timing mark but that means nothing. I need the light to tell me when the electronic trigger fires. I have no way to set the timing other than to run the saw and see if my flywheel mark is anywhere near the 3mm btdc mark that I will make on the chassis. How else would I do this?

With points you simply measure resistance and determine when they break contact, then rotate the stator plate until that occurs at 3mm btdc. I don't know how to tell when the electronic unit is telling the saw to fire.

I agree. Use your car/truck battery for a power source.

It should work fine at typical saw engine ildle speed but I wouldn't expect it to stay accurate much higher.

My old Sun light works fine for 4, 6 and 8 but a saw sparks 16 times as much as an 8 cylinder four stroke cycle at any given rpm............................................Yikes!

Each cylinder on a four stroke fires every other revolution regardless of how many cylinders there are. Two stroke therefore only fires twice as fast.

This assumes that you don't blip the throttle after turning the ignition off thus placing all the cylinders at the top of their stroke ready for the next start.

Each cylinder on a four stroke fires every other revolution regardless of how many cylinders there are. Two stroke therefore only fires twice as fast.

This assumes that you don't blip the throttle after turning the ignition off thus placing all the cylinders at the top of their stroke ready for the next start.

Hey Driver I think he got you there. Mike

The more expensive timing lights work with 2 or 4 stroke engines. Actrons digital light displays rpms, works with 2 or 4 strokes, and its also a dial back light. its about 100 bucks.

Latest posts

Back