Tip of the Day thread:

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Feel free to jump in and add comments to the days tip, or post a new one of your own on us...
Day 1. Plastic wedges. Been cutting firewood for three plus decades and only recently, the past year or so, started using plastic wedges for bucking rounds. When you see the kerf narrow slightly set a wedge with a tap, using your hand, 2" limb wood, 3# hammer, whatever. Then finish the cut with ease. I keep several in my saw kit and one in my back pocket when the saw is running. These logs happen to be on a cut table but it works well anywhere. If you only have one saw because that's what you have, or using a quad and don't have room for a second saw, be sure to carry several plastic wedges in you kit. (EDIT) Be sure to turn saw off or set the saw brake before setting a wedge.
IMG_2100 (3).jpg IMG_2108 (2).jpg IMG_2110.jpg IMG_2111.jpg IMG_1227.jpg

My son is 12 and is skilled with a maul, axe, and knows how to run a splitter. He will be using a chainsaw soon. The major tip I am going to give him is this: You will be tempted a million times to take shortcuts. Never take a shortcut while operating a saw. Never. The 1-in-a-million accident happens 9 times out of 10.

P.S. He's reading over my shoulder right now.

Not a slam to either of you guys, because your tips are sound, but be careful when you are getting tips or how to's on anything dangerous (like using chainsaws) from the internet. I've seen a lot of videos on Youtube that look like a good way to get yourself killed.

Buy a moisture meter. It doesnt have to be a good one but having a clue on your MC(Moisture Content) can improve your burning immensely. Shoot for 12-20%, for every 1% of moisture you lose 1% efficiency.

Less typing and more sawing.
Never work tired. If something doesn't feel right then walk away for another day. Don't eat yellow snow. Stihl is the only saw to own unless you are a mechanic and like to tinker. My way is usually the right way, as long as my wife says it is.

Yea, i think the OP was meaning tips on wood and wood burning related things. Not so much tips on life philosophy, or taco bell farts.

Refilling bar oil: I buy bar oil in gallon jugs. As, the gallon gets low I tend to get sloppier. The saw handle is there, the jug shadows the hole, etc. and so quite often over fill to the cap threads. I like to keep this area clean because in the past I got grung in the bar oil tank and plugged the pump. First thing is clean the area, including the front of the saw where the cap hangs by its tether. An old repurposed tooth brush it great for this. To deal with the over fill a squeeze bottle is the ticket, sucking out the excess. They can be found in food stores, wood working stores, dollar stores, and such. I also use squeeze bottles to measure and access the front hilliard clutch and rear right angle drive.
IMG_2137.jpg IMG_2138.jpg IMG_2139.jpg IMG_2140.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2137.jpg
    IMG_2137.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 51
  • IMG_2138.jpg
    IMG_2138.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 54
  • IMG_2139.jpg
    IMG_2139.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 49
  • IMG_2140.jpg
    IMG_2140.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 45
Refilling bar oil: I buy bar oil in gallon jugs. As, the gallon gets low I tend to get sloppier. The saw handle is there, the jug shadows the hole, etc. and so quite often over fill to the cap threads. I like to keep this area clean because in the past I got grung in the bar oil tank and plugged the pump. First thing is clean the area, including the front of the saw where the cap hangs by its tether. An old repurposed tooth brush it great for this. To deal with the over fill a squeeze bottle is the ticket, sucking out the excess. They can be found in food stores, wood working stores, dollar stores, and such. I also use squeeze bottles to measure and access the front hilliard clutch and rear right angle drive.

My 288 takes more oil than those bottles hold.:yes:

Back