Tire pressure

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks treemandan for jogging my brain - door jamb not sidewall.

hmmmm
my z71 jamb tag says 45psi max...
the tires i bought say 85psi max....

hmmmm......

rarely do people go to the dealer and replace tires with OEM....i think 90% go aftermarket brands...

i'd do what the sidewall says, since it's meant for that particular tire...if i did 45psi in these E's with the weight i haul they'd be 1/2 flat...

Go with what the tire says. The manufacture of the tire knows more about the tire than the manufacture of the truck.

Ray

Don't mean to hijack the thread....

What kind of tires do you guys run on your woodhaulers? I'm looking into something like the Mud King, or a directional M & S, 8 or 10 ply. The truck (81 GMC K-1500) will also be used to plow snow in my 1/2 mi. long driveway.

All this 'good advice' only applies at high speeds. Low speed in the snow is a totally different situation.

Duals can rub and get hot, BTW

Don't mean to hijack the thread....

What kind of tires do you guys run on your woodhaulers? I'm looking into something like the Mud King, or a directional M & S, 8 or 10 ply. The truck (81 GMC K-1500) will also be used to plow snow in my 1/2 mi. long driveway.

The cheapest load rated ones I can get. I find that with a 9000lb truck (empty) I get pretty good traction with just about anything I run for the kind of conditions that I want to be cutting in.

hmmmm
my z71 jamb tag says 45psi max...
the tires i bought say 85psi max....

hmmmm......

rarely do people go to the dealer and replace tires with OEM....i think 90% go aftermarket brands...

i'd do what the sidewall says, since it's meant for that particular tire...if i did 45psi in these E's with the weight i haul they'd be 1/2 flat...

The sidewall only says the "max load" pressure... If you're running the tires at max load, yes, go by the tire... If you're not, go somewhere in between door jam and tire max pressure rated...

Go with what the tire says. The manufacture of the tire knows more about the tire than the manufacture of the truck.

Ray

The tire mfg doesn't know if you're putting these 10-ply M/T's on a 3200# Jeep or on a 12,000# loaded 1-ton... The same pressure won't work well for both...

Door jam pressure is usually a hair on the low side, but the pressure depends on the load you're putting on the tires, not on either the door jam number or the max load PSI...

Mike

The sidewall only says the "max load" pressure... If you're running the tires at max load, yes, go by the tire... If you're not, go somewhere in between door jam and tire max pressure rated...

The tire mfg doesn't know if you're putting these 10-ply M/T's on a 3200# Jeep or on a 12,000# loaded 1-ton... The same pressure won't work well for both...

Door jam pressure is usually a hair on the low side, but the pressure depends on the load you're putting on the tires, not on either the door jam number or the max load PSI...

Mike

I agree, Its a little lower due to heat expansion of the air. Builder did you happen to switch load ranges? If your truck came w/a "c" load tire and you decided to put "d" or "E" on it that would explain such a broad range from door to tire. No half ton truck comes w/"E" ply tires but most put them on due to extra layer (ply) and durability weight wise.. Far as manufacture not knowing, they never will, they put what on what is cheap and mass produced at the time. Some may have Micheline and others may have uniroyale's.

Last edited:
I agree, Its a little lower due to heat expansion of the air. Builder did you happen to switch load ranges? If your truck came w/a "c" load tire and you decided to put "d" or "E" on it that would explain such a broad range from door to tire. No half ton truck comes w/"E" ply tires but most put them on due to extra layer (ply) and durability weight wise.. Far as manufacture not knowing, they never will, they put what on what is cheap and mass produced at the time. Some may have Micheline and others may have uniroyale's.

went from C to E.

reaoson i mentioned never go by the door, always follow what's mounted on the rim...it may not match what's printed on the door.

sorry for the late reply, 3 month vacation, with several infractions to expire late 2012 :D

Back