Tires

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wood Junkie

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well I finally picked up a good wood hauler. The pics will come when I figure out how to get my ancient computer to compress them! Anyhow, that's another thread..... :) I have a 96 Dodge 3/4 ton Ext cab 4x4 with half bald highway tires on it. I had this baby stuck three days after owning it while trying to get out of the woods. I've been impressed with my buddies BFG's but was wondering what you guys (and gals) have on your rigs. I will be using this truck once in a while on the road hauling horses,but not for long distances. My main concern is good traction in mud and snow.

Last edited:
I have BFG all terrains on the Blazer, an odd size 9.50 X 33. They work pretty good but wear fast, or so it seems. I have a 3/4 GM 4x4, it has 285 75R 16 BFG all terrains, they are nothing special, the skinnier ones on the Blazer seem to bite more. I have a set of V link chains for the truck, gets me out of a lot of things, mud included. My advice is good skinny tires, Michelins are good, the wide tires suck, unless you are in sand.

your 96 2500 came stock with 2.45 -75R 16

or same as my 97 cummins 2500 4x4. currently running 2.85 - 75R 16. but would like to reduce width for better mileage.

2.35 - 85R 16 is readily available in E load range. but since I'm pulling 20K+ lb trailer, don't want to run smaller than stock width.

may end up with 2.55 - 85R 16

It has 265 75 16's on it now. I was surprised to see that it came with 245's...that must have looked funny on my long bed truck when new. I'll prob. run 285's on it since it has plenty of room for them. We've been running hay and wood (two dodge 3/4 ton trucks) in and out of two feet of snow and I just seem to be getting stuck alot more than my buddy with his bfg's. I'm open to any brand just as long as the pocket book doesn't get hit any harder than the $200 a tire that I'm expecting to spend.

get some Bridgestone Dueler AT Revos you will be happy with them. I have over 60,000 miles on mine and ya they are in need of replacing but they have performed better than any tire I have ever used. Check out tirerack.com they have a lot of good info.

If you want traction, Goodyear has the MTR's on sale right now in the 245/75/R16. But you'll be lucky to get 20K out of them. I like the BFGoodrich All Terrains, and the Mastercraft AT2. The AT2's don't last quit as long as the BFG's, but they don't cost as much either. The Mastercraft Couser CT and Goodyear Workhorse are great "work truck" tires. There are a million diff. tires out there. Your best bet would be what Newby said and take a look at Tirerack.com and see what catches your eye.

Having used BFG M/T, A/T, and now Geolandar I/T (winter-only tires) on my Jeeps, I'd go with the BFG M/T on that truck. Highway ride is about equal to the A/Ts (just keep 'em rotated and balanced), but traction is markedly improved. They're actually surprisingly good in winter if you don't go with a wide size (keep the psi of the contact patch up!).

BFG AT K/Os all the way. I used them for 2 years when I had my Jeep Cherokee, it would go anywhere with only 235/75/15s and my brother has 31" BFG AT K/Os on both his 94 Bronco and 79 E-350. They were really well for what they are and they dig through snow and mud and will readily climb over logs and stumps. I love 'em.

Your biggest problem is your truck has an open rear in the back.

For tires, if you can get Goodyear Wranglers for under $200 I would recomend them, second would be the BFG M/T.

Last edited:
I had looked at the BFG mud terrain.....they look like a good tire but was concerned with how fast they would wear compared to the A/T version. Like I said,I won't be putting alot of miles on them,but would like to get some decent miles out of them. :) BTW....this has a 360 in it,wish it were a cummins, but the price was right! I'd like to check out the locker option but I'll work on getting some decent rubber on it first. I've ran Geolander's semi agressive A/T's (can't remember what they were called)on my service van and they worked well for an all season tire, not sure if they would work for what I need though. Good input, as usual.

Now you guy's be easy on me, but I like the Maxis Buckshot Mudders. BFG's are great tires, but the Maxis have lasted just as long with as good or better traction in snow & mud, and here they're just over half the price of the BFG's.

Andy

I'm running 33x12.50 bfg mud terrain. Go where you want to go, and never think twice. Not sure yet how long they will last , The only drawback I can think of is they are louder than the all terrains, but I think its worth it, I stay off road a lot. Pulled out both my brother-n-laws the other night running at's. Still can see where oil filter was digging hole in mud. :rock: :rock:

I've got Mickey Thompson MTZ's on my truck. They'll go through anything. Wear hasnt been very noticeable after 20,000 mi for a mud terrain. My friend has the clone (Cooper STT's) on his truck. His are what made me buy mine. If you dont need highway tires, they're perfect. Great traction in any condition.

The Firestone Destination M/T tires got a good review on tirerack.com. Better than BFG's for deep snow and mud. Anyone used these? They are right at $200each installed at a local Firestone dealer.

we have 1/4 ton up to 1 1/4 ton trucks in 4x4 by ford and chevy. lately, weve been using the michellin ltx with great success. i didnt like the goodyear wrangler in the snow, the bf goodrich tires i had wore great but the uniroyal laredo awt was my favorite.

I run 37 inch boggers

On my offroad jeep./ I have ran Mickey Thompson Baja claws. They were a good tire but no where near the boggers when it comes to slime and mud. I even plow snow with the boggers..

Does any one run tire chains? I thought I would ask this as If I am off road in the winter I have chains on. My truck has both front and rear air lockers on it and with chains will do less damage to the environment than hunting for traktion without them.
But for road use prefer any winter radial studded of course as long it is not a Firestone. That not liking Firestone's is a personal thing as well as my dad hated them but it is the only brand I have had problems with. Blow out at 60mph. I know the tire I was running was recalled but not in my size 9.5x16.5 all the 15'' were recalled up here my truck came with them when I bought it.
Unless it is for all out 4x4ing I prefer a quiet tire like a all season for summer. But a 38'' swamper rules for mud use much better road manners than a bogger.

Latest posts

Back