Tmber hitch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan@JBT

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I know it is important to tie with the loops going in a particular way, generally I use this to secure a block to the tree, this will be loaded down, if i were to use this knot to secure a port a wrap to a tree it would be loaded up, do i flip the knot to mirror the load?

Cheers

Likewise, Dan!
Welcome to Arboristsite. (Unless you have been around here a long time, and just aren't yet a "lurker")

I agree with the previous poster, cow hitch is faster and easier to tie, easier to trust, but I would switch to using a whoopie sling if you are doing this work everyday. Whoopies are adjustable (faster) and imo stronger, and comes apart much easier than a knot that gets loaded again and again.

If you dont want to do a cow hitch a clove hitch with half hitch keepers will work too but a cow hitch is alot faster for a timber hitch make sure you have at least five twists in it

If you dont want to do a cow hitch a clove hitch with half hitch keepers will work too but a cow hitch is alot faster for a timber hitch make sure you have at least five twists in it
Love me that clove hitch... but gonna look into that cow hitch if it's faster.

Just wish I could find something to replace a running bowline.

Sent from my LGMS500 using Tapatalk

Bowline and clove hitches are all I use 90% of the time. Just curious about what other knots can be used in lowering applications.

Sent from my LGMS500 using Tapatalk

timber hitch

cow hitch

clove hitch

bowline

whoopie sling and portawrap
media.nl

Last edited:
I use the running bowline most the time, and I tie the clove hitch a lot too. Its great for slippery wood, like lemon eucs. I like the cow hitch for putting blocks in the tree because you can get it nice and tight on the block. Some times if I'm lowering multiple limbs at a time I'll just put one twist with a bite to hold a few limbs.
I try to go knot less as much I can these days, using slings and biners when possible. Slings work really good if your lowing a few limbs at a time. Really makes a difference on the ground as far as speed in getting everything untied and back up to you.
I'm going to order a woopie sling with some X-rings here shortly. Old school, new school working together.

Beasty, get a loopie as well, great for blocks. I have a few and they are great when butt hitching chunks, ya can just loosen a bit and slide it down with out taking out the block. Knotless is alot faster in the ground. Ya can tie a bowline pretty quick so not a ton of time saved there, but on the ground its a big diff. I use the red slings alot, that hold the biner out and away from the girth, making access to the biner much easier for the groundie. Gets back up to me 10 times faster, and when it does get up to me, I usually have another set up already.....ready to go. Just clip in and pull tight on the porty. Makes it easy to go small and fast. Keeping the pieces not to big for the groundies so they can get it out with out saws or bear wrestling.

Latest posts

Back