TN get together June 18th /build off testing date

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it was JD who was hauling them around. I know I like the 372 of his.

Tree Monkey had 066 at Grandpatractor's GTG a year ago in the spring that flat out rocked. It waxed all others saws and had tons of Torque. I doubt he will tell you every secret he has but I learned a ton about about saws in 15 minutes talking with him.

I really wish I would have been able to make it to this GTG. I can't wait to see the videos. When I watched the live feed it high lighted my concerns and questions with porting.

Some builders really seem to push the revs and saws seem to run leaner than other builders. I also really question the amount of torque these saws have. I have always wanted to ask but out of fear don't want to offend anyone. I guess I will just have to make it to some of these GTG and try the saws myself. Better than offending someone.

Tree Monkey had 066 at Grandpatractor's GTG a year ago in the spring that flat out rocked. It waxed all others saws and had tons of Torque. I doubt he will tell you every secret he has but I learned a ton about about saws in 15 minutes talking with him.

I really wish I would have been able to make it to this GTG. I can't wait to see the videos. When I watched the live feed it high lighted my concerns and questions with porting.

Some builders really seem to push the revs and saws seem to run leaner than other builders. I also really question the amount of torque these saws have. I have always wanted to ask but out of fear don't want to offend anyone. I guess I will just have to make it to some of these GTG and try the saws myself. Better than offending someone.

Any time you question (even politely as possible) why a modded saw runs a certain way, what was compromised to achieve a certain gain, etc., you're going to offend someone.

I'm curious to know which saws had stock pistons, and which ones had pop-ups, opened windows, etc. It looks as though extensive modding doesn't always achieve the gains one might expect.

The two saws I did both had popups in them. One had windows in the piston and the other didn't. The timing numbers were real similar for both. They both run strong and have a little different feel in them.

All the buildoff saws have pretty good torque. They aren't a 90 cc saw but they will all cut right with a stock one.

The two saws I did both had popups in them. One had windows in the piston and the other didn't. The timing numbers were real similar for both. They both run strong and have a little different feel in them.

All the buildoff saws have pretty good torque. They aren't a 90 cc saw but they will all cut right with a stock one.

So if you took two saws that were exactly the same and ported them the exact same would one saw be stronger than the other. Like buying two new saws that are the same. It seems one saw it just stronger that the other. I guess what I am asking is can you dail a saw in so close that they are almost exactly the same.

I think the 2 I did had about 2 seconds total between them. It was different porting with them but the end result is about the same. If both were ported the same i'm sure they'll be a small difference in them like you said with car engines and such.

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/80OKwXtMtuo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
This is what my saw was done up for :) Im still happy:hmm3grin2orange:

I'm curious to know which saws had stock pistons, and which ones had pop-ups, opened windows, etc.
+1

I'm curious to know about Slinger's winning saw, as much as we can without revealing any trade secrets. Did it have a pop-up ? Stock piston or ? Anyone know the compression ? Pic of muff mod ?

+1

I'm curious to know about Slinger's winning saw, as much as we can without revealing any trade secrets. Did it have a pop-up ? Stock piston or ? Anyone know the compression ? Pic of muff mod ?

Compression was 165# last night when I dropped cowroy off, I could see a pop up but it's not very big. There must be other top secret stuff in there to make it fast :) it isn't doing it on compression.

no secrets were asked, no saws were tore down, if you want to know what was done to a particular saw youll have to ask the builder. i wasnt looking to uncover someones secrets or how they get things done. just to prove how level the field actually is with all the he's better than he is ,your builder sucks ,my builders the best. use whoever you like or have the best confidence in an rest assured your getting what you could get elsewhere and arent missing out on anything. for pete's sake there just work saws after all and are just a tool and nothing more. now if you want to go fast and race call on copsey to get the job done. his saws will make smiles for miles.

Made it home fellers, Stopped at Loggins to drop his saw off & eat a bite.

I like a torquey saw too, and watching the vids last week of the saws before the test day I was convinced that they probably wouldn't hold the rpm's like I would prefer.

Even during the test cuts I wasn't sure of how much "leanin" they could take. So when I got he chance to run the top saws after the test against my saws in the same log, in my own hands I was suprised. They held rpm's allot better than I expected, enough so that I Know that I got some homework to do.:msp_scared:

Made it home fellers, Stopped at Loggins to drop his saw off & eat a bite.

I like a torquey saw too, and watching the vids last week of the saws before the test day I was convinced that they probably wouldn't hold the rpm's like I would prefer.

Even during the test cuts I wasn't sure of how much "leanin" they could take. So when I got he chance to run the top saws after the test against my saws in the same log, in my own hands I was suprised. They held rpm's allot better than I expected, enough so that I Know that I got some homework to do.:msp_scared:

Good to have you back Stump. Glad you made it safe... You did us proud buddy!!!:rock:

I'm glad to see that the ozarks can survive without me fer a few days. :laugh:

I had a blast, got to put some faces with the names. Fer some strange reason everybody knew who I was already:msp_confused:. Must be some pics of me floatin around hear.

A big thanks to Terry & his wife fer puttin this thing on. You done a great job. Good food, beautifull landscape, good people, and loud saws. By the way Terry, I think I got yer moneys worth out of the porta crapper. :biggrinbounce2:

Latest posts

Back