Today's Job...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get into him Will!

More aggressive port extensions? Hmmmmm I better do a little reading first Matt!

:msp_thumbup:

Sorry old son. What I meant was get half smashed before you start porting. It seems to have worked with your 371 :)

And Will doesn't need to be cyberbullied into cyberbullying me either...

I think he's getting 'port extensions' mixed up with the 'hair extensions' he's getting done Al :laugh:

The only hair extensions I'm getting done Rick is on my cheeks so I can attempt to look even half as cool as Randy. Problem being is they had to take every bit of body hair I had to get remotely close to enough. I won't sleep for months after some of those procedures and I'm already getting chaffing...

Matt, the Vallorbe files arrived today, thanks.

While I was waiting for the distiller to get up to temperature I set down and inspected the various files.

The Vallorge and Stihl files appear to be made by the same manufacturer. They both have the same pattern, but the Vallorbe files are 4.75mm in diameter and the Stihl are 4.85mm.

The Save Edge files have the most aggressive pattern and are 4.75mm in diameter.

The Husky files have the smoothest pattern and have a diameter of 4.65mm.

I expect that the Husky files are designed for use in the 'Roller Guide' and that is why they give the best hook of all the files.

I tried making up my own chain with different angles than the factory. Good thing I used a worn out chain - it was a disaster. It didn't cut any better than the factory angles and looks down right ugly. It will now be retired as a 'stump' chain. Back to the drawing board...

While I was waiting for the distiller to get up to temperature I set down and inspected the various files.

The Vallorge and Stihl files appear to be made by the same manufacturer. They both have the same pattern, but the Vallorbe files are 4.75mm in diameter and the Stihl are 4.85mm.

The Save Edge files have the most aggressive pattern and are 4.75mm in diameter.

The Husky files have the smoothest pattern and have a diameter of 4.65mm.

I expect that the Husky files are designed for use in the 'Roller Guide' and that is why they give the best hook of all the files.

I tried making up my own chain with different angles than the factory. Good thing I used a worn out chain - it was a disaster. It didn't cut any better than the factory angles and looks down right ugly. It will now be retired as a 'stump' chain. Back to the drawing board...

If you want to make a really fast chain Terry you have to go square ;)

Having said that, I haven't attempted one yet :D

From what I've seen, Oregon files, or at least the ones I've used are Vallorbe too.
I believe the Save Edge blanks come from Portugal and are finished in the US and not sure who makes Huskies files ?

BTW, Vallorbe list two cuts available in their catalogue for their round chainsaw files, a fine (DX) and 2nd cut (MDX)

new nickname for Matt,

The Dealer.

I'm using a Narrow Kerf bar and there is no square chisel available for it. Even if it was available, I wouldn't use chisel for the wood I cut, however I wouldn't mind making up a fast chain for the occasion chainsaw race I have with my mates.

The Oregon 95VP and VPX has a 30 degree top plate angle and the Woodland Pro has a 35 degree top plate angle. I was attemping a 35 degree angle on the Oregon chain with the 10 degree down angle - the straps were all carved up when I finished. I should be able to do a better job with the Woodland Pro chains I have.

I'm now running an 8 pin on this saw and still using a 5 degree cutting angle. I figure my smart arse mate with the 365 is toast.

:clap: What happened with the Makita AL was doing?

Al had a Workplace Safety representative come around and said he can't drink while porting. Work stopped immediately...

I hear the only hair extensions not needed are pubic!

Keeps the kneecaps warm Al.

You forgot to mention I was blind.............so I was "blind" and "blind"!
:msp_thumbup:

Blind in all 3 eyes? AWESOME!!!

No worries Terry :cheers: Thanks for the, ahem, furniture polish ;)

If you want to make a really fast chain Terry you have to go square ;)

9781846462931.jpg

new nickname for Matt,

The Dealer.

war-on-drugs2.jpg

So what you're trying to say Randy is that you're facial hair is really...

Um...

Well...

That is the coolest thing ever :D

Was back out again today for a few hours tidying up the few remaining stumps. Basically got it all done in a couple of hours and the property manager asked me to drop a gum they had near the compound which was growing over a 15" irrigation mainline (PVC).
Not too hard but I hadn't actually brought any wedges or felling gear with me so for now just cleaned it up a bit around the base and dropped one side out of it...

260520111177.jpg

260520111178.jpg

260520111176.jpg

260520111179.jpg

I also managed to "semi" throw a chain. This was a real bastard and had locked up that hard on the 7900 that I couldn't undo the bar tensioner screw to loosen the chain. The other issue was that despite removing both bar nuts I still couldn't get the clutch cover off as the bar tensioning pin was jammed tight in the bar due to the extreme tension. It took me about 15 minutes and much swearing to fix and I had to lever the clutch cover off with a scrench. Funnily enough nothing was damaged but I've never had something like this happen before :(

260520111181.jpg

260520111180.jpg

I have to contact the manager of the other property tomorrow and will likely start out there this weekend :)

I also picked up a saw from a mate on Tuesday (similar chainsaw business to me) that had died after I'd fitted a 76cc 372XP BB kit to it.
Funnily enough both saws had died in quick succession while the two owners were cutting firewood and both had 76cc BB kits I'd fitted. I'd also tuned them properly as well.

Anyway my mate had played with them both and managed to get one running. I grabbed the other one off him (as I was interstate for work and not far from him) and pulled the muffler when I got home later that evening - as expected it was a torched P&C. I rang my mate and told him to pull the muffler on the other saw and low and behold that had the crap scored out of it too despite running and starting.

Despite what the owners have said it is quite obviously no oil in the fuel. When you have two saws go down one after the other on the same batch of fuel it generally means something is seriously wrong.

240520111173.jpg

240520111174.jpg

Latest posts

Back