Today's Job...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No problem Matt, let me know what you think of the vodka. Yeah, you have to watch out for disinformation on the 'net as 80% of counter-intelligence work is disinformation. A lot of people get sucked into it and make fools of themselves.

Hey thanks Terry I hadn't realised you'd actually sent some! I agree on the web disinformation. I also don't trust the mainstream media as far as I can kick them. You've got overexcited journos straight out of university who are like leg humping little poodles when it comes to running a story.
My best mate who was in the Aussie SAS in both Afghanistan and Timor used to love the newspapers I'd send him. Basically every story about what the Aussie SAS were up to in Afghanistan was incorrect. Not for operational security reasons, but because the media was that desperate for a story they'd make crap up.

You're telling me? I was up to my butt in operations in 'Nam and I would read about them in the 'Stars and Stripes', a military newspaper put out by the armed forces - it was like something put out by Walt Disney. Then I would read about the same action from an American newspaper - and I swear it was written by drugged up Martians trying to sell a story for more dope.

Edit: As far as Aussie journos, I can remember talking to a Sydney Morning Herald hack outside of court one day. We got onto 'gun control' and what was going on. He said something like "I agree with everything you're saying, but you have to remember that we write for editors that can change anything, further, we have mortgages and kids in school. A lot of the time we tell ourselves that one of these days we will make it right, but one of these days is always in the future."

Last edited:
You're telling me? I was up to my butt in operations in 'Nam and I would read about them in the 'Stars and Stripes', a military newspaper put out by the armed forces - it was like something put out by Walt Disney. Then I would read about the same action from an American newspaper - and I swear it was written by drugged up Martians trying to sell a story for more dope.

Edit: As far as Aussie journos, I can remember talking to a Sydney Morning Herald hack outside of court one day. We got onto 'gun control' and what was going on. He said something like "I agree with everything you're saying, but you have to remember that we write for editors that can change anything, further, we have mortgages and kids in school. A lot of the time we tell ourselves that one of these days we will make it right, but one of these days is always in the future."

One of these days is the next time I'll buy a paper.
Its a pity that they are not making it, but thats an industry that did in themselves in my opinion. I don't know that the internet will ever be the watchdog the newspapers were years ago.

One of these days is the next time I'll buy a paper.
Its a pity that they are not making it, but thats an industry that did in themselves in my opinion. I don't know that the internet will ever be the watchdog the newspapers were years ago.

The internet is far superior than the media was decades ago. You have access to instant updates, 24/7, all over the world, from hundreds of different sources, some of which are privy to very private/secret information.

The only problem: with signal, comes noise. The SNR is potentially much lower than ever before. That has changed nothing, though. One always needed to be discerning and critical of ones sources. That will never change. I've always kept it in mind what is most important to the sources I may get my information from. That usually gives you a good idea what their bias may be. It works fairly well with people as well. We all have our bias.

The older I get, the easier it is to discern the difference between good and bad. And more profoundly, the older I get, the more difficult it has become to discern the difference between good and bad. No, that's not a typo.

Back again guys. Nothing much happening in the world of cutting and have simply been continuing on my way with the stumping side of things. Probably about 80% of the way through it now and nothing exciting has happened as they all look the same! Have been using the pop upped 7900 and it is certainly a weapon. I am a big fan of this saw and it is running stronger than ever. I've pretty well nailed the tune and it is right on the heels of my modded Husky 390's, at least up to a 32" bar anyway.
I've been playing with the little Husky 353 as well and it is a great little saw but I found it just needed a bit more pep. I played with the tune which improved things but decided to mod the muffler yesterday and install an extra port. I didn't go nuts with the port and it's probably only about 15mm x 10mm. It made a hell of a difference though and actually didn't make the saw much louder from a user's standpoint. Tracy said it sounded a lot louder from the sidelines though. The throttle response is now extremely snappy and it has obviously more power. I may be hard to please but I am very impressed with this thing now! As Andy said I would be (he's obviously pyschic. Maybe even pyschotic? :) )...

150520111151.jpg

My fresh high temp black muffler paint lasted, oh, about 12 seconds...

150520111149.jpg

Decided to fell one of the trickier trees left in the ugly row mentioned earlier. Took about 15 minutes as there were a lot of interlaced branches that needed clearing out first. All done with the 353 and .325" semi chisel.

080520111145.jpg

080520111144.jpg

080520111143.jpg

080520111146.jpg

Big hinge left but it goes to show that no matter what some people think you cannot get some things to go where they don't want to go. This 18" limb was leaning heavily to the left side. It played ball till it reached about 45° but once the hingewood lost it's integrity the main limb of this tree snapped it clean off and went where it wanted (to the left), just brushing the fence luckily but probably 6' left of where I wanted it. I did actually think this may happen and should have videoed it, it was good to watch!

080520111147.jpg

I've also been given the go ahead to start on those bigger trees as per earlier posts on the other property. Some of the heavy leaners on the boundaries will have to be topped by a local tree crew with their 60' bucket truck. It is my job to tell them what to do! I am catching up with the owner of the tree business on Wednesday to tell him what to do - he didn't sound too impressed on the phone. Too bad! I'll get some photos and vids up over the next month and some of these trees are pretty large and tricky.

Last edited:
Nice work Matt, 353 is a good saw. I really like my 357, that size of saw is great to work with.

About the tree crew, some people just don't like to be told what to do!

Also got an interesting email from a US business I've previously done business with. The owner is a really nice guy but here is what he had to say when I asked what GB Ti bars he had in stock (with the high dollar I thought I'd do some bar poaching - not the first time I've imported GB bars cheaper than my cost here)...

Hi Matt,
Good to hear from you. Well, wish I could help you out but I don't have any of those on hand. In fact, we are just about clean out of GB product. The US distributor dropped GB this year and liquidated all GB product. Whatever they had left at the end of March they sent back to GB. We currently have no distributor to supply GB product. With all the flippin manufacturers settin up shop in China, its frustrating trying to keep a dependable quality product available at a competitive price.

It sounds like GB is in more trouble in the US than it is in Australia?

I want to offer all of you guys an apology this morning. I was remiss yesterday in not wishing you all a very happy 214th anniversary of the first Merino sheep being brought to Australia.

I trust you all had quite the celebration! :hmm3grin2orange:

I want to offer all of you guys an apology this morning. I was remiss yesterday in not wishing you all a very happy 214th anniversary of the first Merino sheep being brought to Australia.

Thanks for the smile, Captain Farmer.

It must have been quite the party. Not a one of them has made it back online. :hmm3grin2orange:

Well thankyou. It is a massive day in Australia, even bigger than Christmas. Reason us Aussies haven't been online is because the phonelines and internet have been down as everybody has been busy congratulating each other.
Cars are driving around with little sheep flags on their aerials, there have been street parades, even "Catch the greasey shaved sheep" competition although we got that idea from New Zealand.
Although unsure I'm pretty sure they must have brought in a second Merino sheep at the same time, could be wrong though.

Well thankyou. It is a massive day in Australia, even bigger than Christmas. Reason us Aussies haven't been online is because the phonelines and internet have been down as everybody has been busy congratulating each other.
Cars are driving around with little sheep flags on their aerials, there have been street parades, even "Catch the greasey shaved sheep" competition although we got that idea from New Zealand.
Although unsure I'm pretty sure they must have brought in a second Merino sheep at the same time, could be wrong though.

Yeah but we don't go as far as the Kiwi's once the sheep is caught!

Last week one of the foreign workers from a foreign owned cattle station nearby was waiting at the local general store for one of the Aussie farm hands.

He was running late and my mate that runs the place said that Paul must have found a girl on the way into town.
The conversation went like this.

"Oh, no, he would not be with a girl"

"Well he must have found a sheep"

"What ?"

"A sheep"

"What ?"

"He's found a sheep, he's rooting a sheep"

"What, like jiggy jiggy ?"

"Yeah, jiggy jiggy"

" Noooo, he wouldn't, you don't, that's just wrong, nooo"

A short while later Paul the Aussie farm hand walks in.

"Where have you been Paul ?"

"I found a cute sheep on the way in and stopped for a #%^*"

"Noo, you didn't, did you ?"

"Yeah, I have a pair of velcro gloves in the ute, I grab 'em and.."

"No, really ? you have gloves ? can I see the gloves ?"

"You can't have 'em, but I could probably lend 'em to ya" :hmm3grin2orange:

You couldn't have scripted it better if you tried, but God only knows what stories are going back to Asia about the depraved Australians :laugh:

Back