Today's Job...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Didn't you say you were heading over to Ireland?
Nothing like a pot or pint with ice! :D It's got me going! I'll have one tonite!

Pot with a pint of ice?! You stoned already? I'd rather have some munchies instead.

Yep, Ireland is the plan. Headed back again. Gonna try and slow my drinking down this time. It's expensive there nowadays to enjoy fine liquor.

Gee gents, all the alcohol talk may put me back in rehab :D

Anyways, have been at it again for about 40 hours over the last couple weeks.
Have now finished one half of the property and am starting to make a dent in the other, equally large side. This side however has smaller (on average) stumps.
Also went back to the scraggy row to finish some stumps off but also decided to drop a few more of the trees that were left there.

010520111137.jpg

Fair few tricky ones here and a lot of canopies hooked together. These were the trees I left last time as I had assessed them as being too difficult at the time. Was using the pop upped 7900 for the stumping and the 353/5100-S for the felling side of things as most of the cutting was in small wood.
The 353 is certainly a nice little saw but has one major flaw in situations like this...

010520111138.jpg

That's right, outboard clutch and apart from cracking the clutch there was no way to get the bar off due to a pinched tip. Ah well, just use the 5100-S and cross my fingers that the little Husky doesn't get squashed! It was fine and fell out the cut as I dropped 4 limbs all at once.

010520111139.jpg

010520111140.jpg

I'd been using .325" semi chisel on both the 5100-S and 353 as the Husky came with .325" when I bought it. Not too bad for limbing etc but once again when the going gets tough .325" just won't hold up.
I have come across a few runs of smaller trees where Termites have moved in dragging sand and crap all through the stump and under the bark.
It makes short work of 3/8" semi chisel, that'll own .325" which doesn't stand a chance.

240420111127.jpg

240420111128.jpg

After using the pop upped 7900 with the now sold Makita's top end I think I've finally nailed it with the tuning etc. It's running as hard (or harder) as ever since I pulled the top end and rebuilt it with a new Caber ring. Compression feels stronger too although I haven't tested it yet but doubt the guage will show higher numbers than on the Makita (200psi).
I also received 3 new HD filters from Kyle at Edge & Engine (great service once again mate) after the last one was obviously leaking somewhere - despite looking very hard I never found where it was damaged. Once again nothing has gotten past this setup since running a new filter :) I also got from Kyle some Forester and Dolmar work gloves. Both are great gloves and well made.

I'd also forgotten just how good the little 5100-S is. It is a great little saw and is substantially more gusty than the 353. Out of the three 50cc saws I own I would rate them as follows...

1) MS261
2) 5100-S
3) 353

The 261 hasn't seen much work lately as I've been using the 353 just to see what all the fuss is about with the balance etc (same as 346XP). Certainly nicely balanced but all three 50cc saws I own balance well in my opinion.

Last edited:
Wow you sure had the 353 jammed pretty bad.

Yeah :( These trees are loaded in so many different directions it's near impossible to work out. I've had branch loads on the tree I'm cutting be influenced by another one 3 trees away just by how the canopies are interlaced. Fun for all mate ;)

I love chainsaws and tree felling but the best news ever is that they nailed Bin Laden!!!

Suck sh*t you piece of trash...

Good stuff US forces :cheers: Pity we couldn't film his beheading and run it on Al Jazeera...

You guys really need to get up to speed on Osama Bin Forgotten. Here's a link that has lot of information about his death back in 2001

Osama bin Laden: A dead nemesis perpetuated by the US government | WHAT REALLY HAPPENED

Yup. The current one was grown in a laboratory with the DNA they found previously. Sort of like on The Island with Scarlet Johannsen. Mmmm...Scarlet... er..where was I? Yeah, he's a test tube baby grown in a lab. This means Trump is gonna demand his birth certificate now. It also means Apple can now turn off that stupid GPS tracking/logging thing in their software now that they finally caught Bin Laden(but gave the credit to US Spec Ops).

So, yeah...inboard clutches... next time just put a face cut all down the row, start a short back cut on then all - just enough to fit a wedge in. Pound the hell out of that wedge. Tie a rope to the tree in the middle and pull on it with a jeep. Voila! All down, pas du problem.

Last edited:
You guys really need to get up to speed on Osama Bin Forgotten. Here's a link that has lot of information about his death back in 2001

Osama bin Laden: A dead nemesis perpetuated by the US government | WHAT REALLY HAPPENED

Why is that more credible than today's stories Terry? Is it because it has "WHAT REALLY HAPPENED" on the end of the link? That looks like a very credible non biased website too run by mentally stable individuals.

It depends on what side of the pro or anti US fence people are sitting as to which stories they choose to believe. Just stick what you want to find in Google, it'll be there.

Last edited:
Scarlet Johannsen. Mmmm.
So, yeah...inboard clutches... next time just put a face cut all down the row, start a short back cut on then all - just enough to fit a wedge in. Pound the hell out of that wedge. Tie a rope to the tree in the middle and pull on it with a jeep. Voila! All down, pas du problem.

Scarlet...

Yeah anyway, the old Domino trick wouldn't work with these unfortunately as I'd end up with a number of limbs in the orange orchard next to it. It'd be OK if these trees actually had real trunks :(

Sheesh, last time I send you a bottle of booze. I'm still trying to figure what side of that binary argument you place me - pro/anti?

Matt, I took the 'Red Pill' a long time ago and I have to keep reminding myself that other people are still caught in the Matrix - it does cause friction at times. No offence was meant.

If you think that webpage is over the top, you wouldn't want to spend a night drinking with me telling you stories that aren't open source information. - Let's get back to telling chainsaw stories.

Gee gents, all the alcohol talk may put me back in rehab :D

Anyways, have been at it again for about 40 hours over the last couple weeks.
Have now finished one half of the property and am starting to make a dent in the other, equally large side. This side however has smaller (on average) stumps.
Also went back to the scraggy row to finish some stumps off but also decided to drop a few more of the trees that were left there.

Fair few tricky ones here and a lot of canopies hooked together. These were the trees I left last time as I had assessed them as being too difficult at the time. Was using the pop upped 7900 for the stumping and the 353/5100-S for the felling side of things as most of the cutting was in small wood.
The 353 is certainly a nice little saw but has one major flaw in situations like this...

That's right, outboard clutch and apart from cracking the clutch there was no way to get the bar off due to a pinched tip. Ah well, just use the 5100-S and cross my fingers that the little Husky doesn't get squashed! It was fine and fell out the cut as I dropped 4 limbs all at once.

I'd been using .325" semi chisel on both the 5100-S and 353 as the Husky came with .325" when I bought it. Not too bad for limbing etc but once again when the going gets tough .325" just won't hold up.
I have come across a few runs of smaller trees where Termites have moved in dragging sand and crap all through the stump and under the bark.
It makes short work of 3/8" semi chisel, that'll own .325" which doesn't stand a chance.

After using the pop upped 7900 with the now sold Makita's top end I think I've finally nailed it with the tuning etc. It's running as hard (or harder) as ever since I pulled the top end and rebuilt it with a new Caber ring. Compression feels stronger too although I haven't tested it yet but doubt the guage will show higher numbers than on the Makita (200psi).
I also received 3 new HD filters from Kyle at Edge & Engine (great service once again mate) after the last one was obviously leaking somewhere - despite looking very hard I never found where it was damaged. Once again nothing has gotten past this setup since running a new filter :) I also got from Kyle some Forester and Dolmar work gloves. Both are great gloves and well made.

I'd also forgotten just how good the little 5100-S is. It is a great little saw and is substantially more gusty than the 353. Out of the three 50cc saws I own I would rate them as follows...

1) MS261
2) 5100-S
3) 353

The 261 hasn't seen much work lately as I've been using the 353 just to see what all the fuss is about with the balance etc (same as 346XP). Certainly nicely balanced but all three 50cc saws I own balance well in my opinion.

Great stuff. As for that pinched Husky.........you could always break or cut the chain if you're worried about smashing the powerhead when you fell the tree with your other saw. A new chain's a lot cheaper than a new powerhead. Just keep a set of bolt cutters in the truck.:cheers:

Great stuff. As for that pinched Husky.........you could always break or cut the chain if you're worried about smashing the powerhead when you fell the tree with your other saw. A new chain's a lot cheaper than a new powerhead. Just keep a set of bolt cutters in the truck.:cheers:

and it's not like Matt's short of a loop.

He probably has more chain in stock than the importers :laugh:

If you think that webpage is over the top, you wouldn't want to spend a night drinking with me telling you stories that aren't open source information. - Let's get back to telling chainsaw stories.

Sorry Terry and I didn't mean to come across as abrasive either. I know you were only talking about Bin Laden's death and the proposed date variations so sorry about jumping on my high horse.
I'm just used to butting heads with people that think the moon landing was staged in Hollywood and that George W Bush was personally flying all four planes on 9/11. There are various levels of the Matrix too Terry and anybody caught in the so called "Matrix" isn't necessarily wrong. There are dodgey things going on all around us with every government in the world, that's just life. Some of us have the ability to decipher the pieces of pie we get fed and come out with a pretty logical and informed outcome. Others just eat all the pie and go back for seconds :cheers:
Yup. Chainsaw stories :)

Good idea but wasn't worried about smashing the powerhead. It's a Husky, they like getting busted and hit by trees. Oh and I've got damage insurance on all my saws :)

and it's not like Matt's short of a loop.

He probably has more chain in stock than the importers :laugh:

Not anymore mate. I haven't bought any chain for ages and am slowly chewing through what I have. I was getting a bit excited there for a while and knocking on 3,500 feet. Down to just over 2,000 feet now I think.

Last edited:
No problem Matt, let me know what you think of the vodka. Yeah, you have to watch out for disinformation on the 'net as 80% of counter-intelligence work is disinformation. A lot of people get sucked into it and make fools of themselves.

Latest posts

Back