Today's Job...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing special, not a giant old growth our Euc, but I am alway's proud to tell friend's about my good friend's, and partner's who make me proud. John parmeter is one of my oldest friend's going on 25 year's. He is 150 feet up in this redwood, and two other best friend's where there. Jesus is in the pic standing with the gear on, he has alot of natural climbing ability, and alway's free climbed oak's and similar tree's. Our last job I felt it was important to get him the right gear, and John to show him the rope's. I knew the redwood would be all John because it was tall. But Jesus got to watch, and practice on a neighbooring fir tree, and learne'd alot friday night. My other friend present was Bob jenning's viet nam vet, and a dear friend, alway's there thick or thin no matter the job, or no matter what. We are a small band of best friend's who do everything together. Hunt, cut wood, tree work, hang out, you name it. I am proud to have frind's like them, and wanted to show ya Aussie brother's! Norm...................

You guys after a 660 or 066 a mate has 2 x 660 and a 066 and is thinking of selling one of them,one of the 660s is a US model and is in mint nick.He is over seas for the next two weeks but after that i can talk to him if anyone is interested.:smile2:

You guys after a 660 or 066 a mate has 2 x 660 and a 066 and is thinking of selling one of them,one of the 660s is a US model and is in mint nick.He is over seas for the next two weeks but after that i can talk to him if anyone is interested.:smile2:

I bags the 066 :D or one of the 660's.

Oh hang on, I had one arrive the other day. Cancel that order Andrew, I'll keep the one I have now :D

Back again. Things have been very quiet on the chainsaw front of late but finally got the time to trim up a Bougainvillea for my Aunty and Uncle. This job has been on the agenda for months and finally found half a day to do it.
I wish I was more of a gardener because I would have realised that a Bougainvillea has big spikes like roofing nails and is a complete bastard of a tree/bush/vine/satan's favourite plant or whatever the hell it is. If I'd have known this I would have bailed long ago.
Anyway, the Stihl HT131 pole saw has basically paid for itself again. In fact I'd say if I had to pick two saws I own that have paid for themselves faster than any other saw I bought it would be my 200T and this pole saw.
This Bougainvillea was intertwined, layered, interlaced, you name it. I started slow but in the end simply wielded the pole saw like a machete while oozing blood out of about 20 puncture wounds in my legs, back, neck, arms and hands. I was also fully clothed with good gloves and had a spike come clean through the sole of my boot. They are nasty.
What was meant to be an hour job ended up 3 1/2 hours. Give me spiders and snakes anyday, this plant was evil. Even Box Thorn removals are a walk in the park compared to this. You can see my uncle on the roof trying to clear some of the limbs off but because they were all clumped together it was like trying to move a 200kg lump of velcro. He gave up quick smart. I'd already done a bit of pruning prior to this first image...

170920111595.jpg

First to hollow out underneath to get some working space. This was wall to wall spikey crap prior to this photo. The 200T was being flung around like a hedger in here, the poor little thing...

170920111591.jpg

170920111590.jpg

170920111589.jpg

170920111593.jpg

170920111594.jpg

170920111596.jpg

170920111597.jpg

Gardenering contractors can have this stuff - give me felling or firewood cutting anyday. I don't think I've ever felt so beaten up in that amount of time.

I also feel very ashamed to have posted photos of an abortion style plant like this...

Last edited:
Hahaha, I really like Bougainvillea, from a distance :D

Luckily we can't grow it here, a touch too cold.

[edit]BTW, lucky you mentioned the adjustable anvil and I hadn't thrown the box out yet, it was caught up in the packing :msp_unsure:

Last edited:
Haha that is a nasty bush/plant for sure. My grandfather got sick of his one day and hooked it up to his Audi with a snatch strap... problem solved :D

[edit]BTW, lucky you mentioned the adjustable anvil and I hadn't thrown the box out yet, it was caught up in the packing :msp_unsure:

Phew - lucky :)

Haha that is a nasty bush/plant for sure. My grandfather got sick of his one day and hooked it up to his Audi with a snatch strap... problem solved :D

Mate if I could have fitted a vehicle in there that is EXACTLY what I would have done. Problem is that it's actually the neighbours plant. The old nanna neighbour heard the chainsaw running and came over to the fence. I just ignored her and kept cutting as I only touched what was on my side but rest assured she didn't look too happy. The weight of all the branches and leaf material was about ready to tear the gutter off and was also rusting the hell out of it.

Nice looking cottage Matt

It's actually an old coach house mate - the main house is even nicer. We're not in an old area by any means in the grand scheme of things but this house is one of the older ones still standing in our district. I think early 1900's or something.

Last edited:
I was thinking the same Al.

I've always loved the different stone used in SA and Vic to here.

We had a lot of Mount Gambier Stone carted in for building here early last century. Insulates really well and if you haven't seen it is more like an aerated limestone. I'd hate to see the cost of building a house out of it now. Most of the other stone is just local stuff. Not even sure what it is to be honest but by hell it's hard if you try to drill it - even rotary hammers don't like some of it. An impact hammer drill just smokes the bit up on it :D My old man calls some of it Bluestone but not sure if that's just a local common name or the real name.

Matt, when my uncle lived in Adelaide when I was a kid he called the local stone Bluestone.

Hell, I just remembered the last time I was in Adelaide was for the GP in '91 :msp_ohmy: That was a good week :D (and long after my Uncle had moved back here)

Looks like a nasty sticker bush for sure. We used to plant stuff like that on coorporate campuses when we wanted to stop people from cow-trailing across lawn and landscaping. They learned to use the concrete sidewalks.;)

Trimming was always a pain. We used pole saws, power pruners, extended hedge shears, anything that got us farther away. Then we often would just run the mower over it to chop it up and then rake up like mulch. Have to be careful which mower, you need one with foam filled tires or your day will kinda deflate.

Mr. HE:cool:

We got thousands of bougainvillea up here, even the thorn-less ones have some thorns.

I had a neighbour that was a rude bustard so I decided to plant a screen a long the fence so I could not see so much of him.
The first time he ever spoke to me was he marched up and abused me for parking my Ute in the street in front(I did this once) of my house, because it made it harder for him to park his 4 ton truck, "I had to use reverse".

I went to the nursery I had to choose bougainvillea with out without thorns. I chose thorns.:hell_boy:

Fast forward a couple of years day he put up a for sale sign; so I went and cut it all down. I wanted to start with fresh slate with the new neighbour.

I used black BOC welding gloves and secateurs.

bougainvillea grow very well up here, they need very little water, make an excellent security fence and have flowers:laugh:

Matt that stuff look's like a bad dream. I agree with you on the pole saw's. One of the best tool's ever invented.

Matt that stuff look's like a bad dream. I agree with you on the pole saw's. One of the best tool's ever invented.

Yeah if I had to get up close and personal with this stuff I'd have been wrecked - as it is I look like I've been fighting with a mountain lion :)

Oh and to top the day off I just had some guy complaining about my postal charges on some rim sprockets on eBay despite postage being clearly marked as free. I wonder where some of these guys come from...

Just a quick vid gents.
This was taken on the same weekend as my 201T/200T video cutting up a Pink Gum log. This wood has very similar characteristics to Red Gum. If I'd have known the grain was going to be so nice I'd have milled it instead.
First saw is the 201T, second saw is the 390XP (ported), and my little 353 Husky also gets a gig. It was one of those days where I just couldn't read the log. So obvious on camera and makes me wonder what the hell I was thinking, especially when I got the 390XP stuck...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/87yQlEN_y0I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nice grain...

DSCF1914.jpg

DSCF1917.jpg

Back