Today's Job...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice post Matt.

I'm interested in your IPM for the hopper grass and the fruit stinger :)

What's an athel pine?.......Oh. I looked it up a fire resistant tree that drops salts on the ground.

Did you prune the co-dominant stump or leave it as shown in picture?

Their used lots of exemptions for clearing 20m,30m or even 100m for (c)

(a) an access trail,
(b) a cut-line for stock movement,
(c) a firebreak,
(d) a road,
(e) a telephone line or cable,
(f) a power line or cable,
(g) a drain to a water storage,
(h) a bore drain,
(i) a pipeline,
(j) an irrigation channel.

Until the legislation was repealed.

A farmer I know up north bulldozed a whole block in the 50's with a baby dozer, He dug a whole and burred the dozer when it was done cause he hated it so much.........anyway he cut a drain in a perfectly straight line and made a perfectly square dam, fast forward some unistudents doing an internship for DERM came onto the property mumbled a bit about the environment and left.

He got a letter saying the natural stream an lagoon with remnant vegetation was now protected part of the national park 20 klms away and was an important remnant wildlife corridor.

They only stopped burning the sugar cane 15 years ago, He still gets his blood up about that and it was 12 years ago now

I'm interested in your IPM for the hopper grass and the fruit stinger :)

Spinetoram at 20ml/100L :)

Matt that 241 looks like a killer little saw,:rock: wish they sold them here.:(

Yeah they really are a little rocket Andy. Until I used these M-Tronic stratos the standard unmodified stratos had simply not impressed me one little bit apart from an abundance of torque - in many ways this extra torque didn't actually make them faster as they had very sluggish throttle response over a standard non strato saw of similar cc. I've seen with stock 441C videos that the M-Tronic system really has taken the stratos to the next level. I'd love to try a 576A-T Husky but I have that class locked down with the 390XP's and Dolmar 7900's and won't change them for quids at this stage...

She surly slices slickly sunshine! :cheers:

This is not the five word thread

spinosad is what I have been using on Bactrocera tryoni, nice to know what you use; as always :)

You got me thinking
I went all off label (APVMA)
(yes I know better, Yes I did a risk assesment and some reasearch and some controls)
I have been experimenting with readily available acids to drop pH of water for glyphosate
I have not found a home owner readily available acid that has not worked, I was interested in unintended reactions

Nothing is surviving treatment so far................

This is not the five word thread

spinosad is what I have been using on Bactrocera tryoni, nice to know what you use; as always :)

You got me thinking
I went all off label (APVMA)
(yes I know better, Yes I did a risk assesment and some reasearch and some controls)
I have been experimenting with readily available acids to drop pH of water for glyphosate
I have not found a home owner readily available acid that has not worked, I was interested in unintended reactions

Nothing is surviving treatment so far................

P.S. The below text IS NOT chainsaw related ;) I spend too much time at work...

Spinetoram is the new synthesised version of Spinosad (trade name Delegate or Success NEO). Spinosad (Success or Success 2) always had a good kill but was not persistant enough under high pressure so pests would quickly reinhabit sprayed areas. I was involved in citrus trials on Spinosad just prior to it hitting the market about 7 odd years ago. Dow have extended the UV stability of Spinetoram over Spinosad so instead of just a couple of days control you'll now get 7-10, depending on the pest. Under extremely high pressure though I doubt I'll recommend it - quite often the ideal IPM scenario isn't suited to the growers budget or spray program.

Spinetoram is only one of many insecticides I recommend but due to it's price is sometimes shunned by growers - it has it's place but quite often doesn't have a broad enough spectrum for the pests that need controlling. The price has come back though since Dow synthesised it.

Just this week depending on other pests I've recommended...ahem...

Methidathion for Kelly's Citrus Thrip (nasty and VERY dangerous chemical and on the US dirty dozen list - however it is very persistant and work's a treat. Has one of the lowest mammalian LD50's on the market). Syngenta recently announced that they have stopped manufacturing of their Supracide due to US environmental pressure. Farmoz however still manufacture their Suprathion from start to finish. It is one of the few products on the market that really has no alternative in certain situations.

Actara for Kelly's Citrus Thrip in Lemons. Gives about 6 weeks control but on thrips only.

Chlorpyrifos at 1/2 rate (50ml/100L) + Summer Oil at 0.5% in Citrus where both Katydid, Light Brown Apple Moth, AND Mealybug are present. Without the Mealybug you'd leave the oil out.

Prodigy in winegrapes for Light Brown Apple Moth. This is an IGR and gives 3 weeks protection against both eggs and all larval stages. Excellent product and only works on Lepidoptera larvae/eggs.

Dipel (Bacillus thuringiensis) for Light Brown Apple Moth in citrus and winegrapes.

Applaud for Mealybug in Table Grapes (an IGR by Dow). Dow make excellent stuff and one of the few manufacturers where there is no BS with their products, along with Sumitomo. They all work exactly as designed.

Unlike some other chemical companies with original on patent products Dow And Sumitomo don't claim that their products will cure cancer, help global warming, or have a pH stability range from -5 to 40 :D

I go off label every single day mate. There are a lot of things that work and can be used in combination despite what the product labels say. Last season I had to tell a guy to combine a tankmix of both Chlorpyrifos and Methidathion for a range of pests. Chlorpyrifos smashes Mealybug whereas it won't touch Californian Red Scale yet Methidathion smashes Red Scale yet Mealybug laugh at it. No single chemical on the market will adequately control both pests. It worked an absolute treat (never heard of this mix being used before) and basically birds were dropping out the air as they flew over stone dead (not really but you get my drift).
I didn't want to use this mix as their were a number of beneficial ladybeetle species in the patch after an earlier aphid infestation. Unfortunately sometimes you have to think of the grower and getting him a maximum return for his product before thinking of the beneficials present :( They do reinhabit faster than many organic greenies claim though.

I also had a funny one today - a guy has been using and recommending to his mates dishwashing liquid as a herbicide surfactant claiming it was cheap and works. I told him that his mix was full hillbilly spec. He waffled on about how cheap it is but got put back in his place when I told him the per hectare cost of a specifically designed non ionic surfactant (about 30c/ha). That shut him up quick smart as his dishwashing liquid didn't look so cheap then. I'm sure the lemony scent of his glyphosate mix smelled lovely though :D As far as acids to buffer pH down Anhydrous Citric Acid is about as cost effective as you'll get at about $0.40/ha in horticulture (350L/ha approx) or $0.08/ha in broadacre applications (about 70L/ha). Cheaper than dirt nearly :D

Last edited:
all good stuff matt i like reading this sort of thing one of those chemical companys must have its fingers in a lot of pies sumitomo make tyers as well, well i think they do ??

all good stuff matt i like reading this sort of thing one of those chemical companys must have its fingers in a lot of pies sumitomo make tyers as well, well i think they do ??

Yeah mate. Basically all these companies have their fingers in all sorts of pies. I mean Bayer make all sorts of nasty insecticides, fungicides etc etc yet also make pregnancy multivitamins for women! They also have a massive hold in animal health and make indigestion tablets (Rennie).
Sumitomo and Dow mainly focus on what are called proprietary products which means they developed them and they are still on patent so can't be knocked off and copied.
The profits made by on patent chemicals is absolutely huge and margins are quite often 1000% or more (no joke!).
Once these chemicals come off patent (5 years from memory) the margins drop to about 20% for the chemical companies who start to make the generic copies of the original - still good money though.

P.S. The below text IS NOT chainsaw related ;) I spend too much time at work......

(all excellent stuff)

$0.40/ha in horticulture........... or $0.08/ha.... . Cheaper than dirt nearly :D

Were do you get dirt for horticulture for @ $0.40/ha...............:hmm3grin2orange:

Thanks again for you excellent and detailed reply

I'm only teaching back yarders and have a small market garden to teach with and am able to many cultural methods that are not workable in a commercial environment.

I don't have the big two trying to buy the whole crop for $1/tonne and then tell you only half of it is good enough to retail and then sell it for $10/kg

I keep telling the students don't grow the $1/kg stuff grow the $5~$10/kg stuff at home :msp_rolleyes:

P.S. The below text IS NOT chainsaw related ;) I spend too much time at work...

Spinetoram is the new synthesised version of Spinosad (trade name Delegate or Success NEO). Spinosad (Success or Success 2) always had a good kill but was not persistant enough under high pressure so pests would quickly reinhabit sprayed areas. I was involved in citrus trials on Spinosad just prior to it hitting the market about 7 odd years ago. Dow have extended the UV stability of Spinetoram over Spinosad so instead of just a couple of days control you'll now get 7-10, depending on the pest. Under extremely high pressure though I doubt I'll recommend it - quite often the ideal IPM scenario isn't suited to the growers budget or spray program.

Spinetoram is only one of many insecticides I recommend but due to it's price is sometimes shunned by growers - it has it's place but quite often doesn't have a broad enough spectrum for the pests that need controlling. The price has come back though since Dow synthesised it.

Just this week depending on other pests I've recommended...ahem...

Methidathion for Kelly's Citrus Thrip (nasty and VERY dangerous chemical and on the US dirty dozen list - however it is very persistant and work's a treat. Has one of the lowest mammalian LD50's on the market). Syngenta recently announced that they have stopped manufacturing of their Supracide due to US environmental pressure. Farmoz however still manufacture their Suprathion from start to finish. It is one of the few products on the market that really has no alternative in certain situations.

Actara for Kelly's Citrus Thrip in Lemons. Gives about 6 weeks control but on thrips only.

Chlorpyrifos at 1/2 rate (50ml/100L) + Summer Oil at 0.5% in Citrus where both Katydid, Light Brown Apple Moth, AND Mealybug are present. Without the Mealybug you'd leave the oil out.

Prodigy in winegrapes for Light Brown Apple Moth. This is an IGR and gives 3 weeks protection against both eggs and all larval stages. Excellent product and only works on Lepidoptera larvae/eggs.

Dipel (Bacillus thuringiensis) for Light Brown Apple Moth in citrus and winegrapes.

Applaud for Mealybug in Table Grapes (an IGR by Dow). Dow make excellent stuff and one of the few manufacturers where there is no BS with their products, along with Sumitomo. They all work exactly as designed.

Unlike some other chemical companies with original on patent products Dow And Sumitomo don't claim that their products will cure cancer, help global warming, or have a pH stability range from -5 to 40 :D

I go off label every single day mate. There are a lot of things that work and can be used in combination despite what the product labels say. Last season I had to tell a guy to combine a tankmix of both Chlorpyrifos and Methidathion for a range of pests. Chlorpyrifos smashes Mealybug whereas it won't touch Californian Red Scale yet Methidathion smashes Red Scale yet Mealybug laugh at it. No single chemical on the market will adequately control both pests. It worked an absolute treat (never heard of this mix being used before) and basically birds were dropping out the air as they flew over stone dead (not really but you get my drift).
I didn't want to use this mix as their were a number of beneficial ladybeetle species in the patch after an earlier aphid infestation. Unfortunately sometimes you have to think of the grower and getting him a maximum return for his product before thinking of the beneficials present :( They do reinhabit faster than many organic greenies claim though.

I also had a funny one today - a guy has been using and recommending to his mates dishwashing liquid as a herbicide surfactant claiming it was cheap and works. I told him that his mix was full hillbilly spec. He waffled on about how cheap it is but got put back in his place when I told him the per hectare cost of a specifically designed non ionic surfactant (about 30c/ha). That shut him up quick smart as his dishwashing liquid didn't look so cheap then. I'm sure the lemony scent of his glyphosate mix smelled lovely though :D As far as acids to buffer pH down Anhydrous Citric Acid is about as cost effective as you'll get at about $0.40/ha in horticulture (350L/ha approx) or $0.08/ha in broadacre applications (about 70L/ha). Cheaper than dirt nearly :D

Interesting stuff Matt,you lost me though:dizzy:
Back in the day,Lemat and endosulfan where the go to for earth mite in canola....kill whoever was using it as well if you wernt carefull!
Nice running saw too.

Cheers Dave

Wow! That little 241 loves to run. She doesn't mind you leaning on it one bit!

Yeah Brad it likes to run thats for sure. I'd love to have compared it with an MS240 just to see how much difference the strato and M-Tronic setup made. I'm thinking lots...

yes whats that, dust on his 200t and it aint sawdust

Nah I think the 200T is safe. My little Husky 353 is quivering though :D

Were do you get dirt for horticulture for @ $0.40/ha...............:hmm3grin2orange:

Thanks again for you excellent and detailed reply

I'm only teaching back yarders and have a small market garden to teach with and am able to many cultural methods that are not workable in a commercial environment.

I don't have the big two trying to buy the whole crop for $1/tonne and then tell you only half of it is good enough to retail and then sell it for $10/kg

I keep telling the students don't grow the $1/kg stuff grow the $5~$10/kg stuff at home :msp_rolleyes:

Yeah you are 100% correct mate. What we do in commercial horticulture is most certainly not suited to smaller market/backyard gardens etc in the majority of cases and vice versa. People that think they can grow commercial yields organically and sustainably are also playing with something other than their organics handbook :)
Your price analogy is spot on sadly...

Stiff ####!

That's seven S's in a row Al. Outstanding...

Interesting stuff Matt,you lost me though:dizzy:
Back in the day,Lemat and endosulfan where the go to for earth mite in canola....kill whoever was using it as well if you wernt carefull!
Nice running saw too.

Cheers Dave

Good old Lemat and Endosulfan :D A lot was used this year for mouse bait by mixing with grain and icing sugar. Illegal of course but farmers couldn't get other baits...
Endosulfan is heavily restricted now and the last organochlorine on the Australian market. Same group as DDT, Aldrin, Dieldrin, Heptachlor etc but nowhere near as bad - unless you are a frog or fish...

Latest posts

Back