Today's pawn shop findings

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fearofpavement

Trying them all
Reaction score
Well, hit up several pawn shops and discount joints today. Mostly because I was shopping for stuff burglarized from a house I own. Anyway, no joy on that stuff but I found the following saws:

Poulan: thrashed bow saw. Said 4400 Countervibe on the broken flywheel cover but I think it was maybe a 306 saw. Definitely wasn't a CounterVibe saw. They wanted $60 for that at a resell joint (sorta a permanent yard sale) and I told them about 1/3 of that would be more realistic. The bar was ok, the saw was missing the top cover, the airfilter was torn open and most of the flocking was gone and obviously had been operated that way. The clutch cover was broken off and just a 1" x 2.5" remnant acting as a washer under the one bar nut that was there. Choke was a bent wire sticking out. This saw was a classic "redneck" maintenance example. I showed the seller (it was on consignment) some issues with it and I wasn't interested in it at all since there wasn't enough value there to flip it with any profit. It did run...

Poulan 3400 bow saw. Decent shape, only $259.99. I could hardly resist but didn't bring it home. lol.

Lombard (Campbell Hausfield). Saw in decent shape, heavy as all get out. (felt like it was made of steel instead of magnesium) That one was $150 ish. This is the first Lombard I ever saw.

McCulloch ProMac 10-10. First one of these I've run across. This was at a flea market and the seller said it ran well. Wanted $60. Probably the best deal I saw today. (left that behind too) It did have a chain brake and was in good condition cosmetically.

Homelite 330. $129.00 meh

Old Skil saw (small). similar to the first saw I ever owned. $60.00

Poulan 306 bow saw. mediocre condition and overpriced.

And of course dozens of overpriced plastic throw away saws. Prices between $60 and $129. Actual value $5.00 to $50.00.

You would be surprised what some bow bars will bring on the open market...

Well, i have a bow bar listed in the classifieds and haven't had any inquiries... Maybe the surprise is in the opposite direction?

Guess it would sell better if I knew what it fit, eh? (but I don't)

The most hilarious find was a Partner cut off saw with the rear handle completely broken off for the paltry sum of $399.99. It would have marginally been worth that with an intact handle based on its condition. I'm surprised the pawn shop even took it in.

Well, hit up several pawn shops and discount joints today. Mostly because I was shopping for stuff burglarized from a house I own. Anyway, no joy on that stuff but I found the following saws:

Poulan: thrashed bow saw. Said 4400 Countervibe on the broken flywheel cover but I think it was maybe a 306 saw. Definitely wasn't a CounterVibe saw. They wanted $60 for that at a resell joint (sorta a permanent yard sale) and I told them about 1/3 of that would be more realistic. The bar was ok, the saw was missing the top cover, the airfilter was torn open and most of the flocking was gone and obviously had been operated that way. The clutch cover was broken off and just a 1" x 2.5" remnant acting as a washer under the one bar nut that was there. Choke was a bent wire sticking out. This saw was a classic "redneck" maintenance example. I showed the seller (it was on consignment) some issues with it and I wasn't interested in it at all since there wasn't enough value there to flip it with any profit. It did run...

Poulan 3400 bow saw. Decent shape, only $259.99. I could hardly resist but didn't bring it home. lol.

Lombard (Campbell Hausfield). Saw in decent shape, heavy as all get out. (felt like it was made of steel instead of magnesium) That one was $150 ish. This is the first Lombard I ever saw.

McCulloch ProMac 10-10. First one of these I've run across. This was at a flea market and the seller said it ran well. Wanted $60. Probably the best deal I saw today. (left that behind too) It did have a chain brake and was in good condition cosmetically.

Homelite 330. $129.00 meh

Old Skil saw (small). similar to the first saw I ever owned. $60.00

Poulan 306 bow saw. mediocre condition and overpriced.

And of course dozens of overpriced plastic throw away saws. Prices between $60 and $129. Actual value $5.00 to $50.00.

There is a pro Mac 10-10 on cl for 150 in my area

Need to be fixing my truck so I can get the brute out there

Got a small engine repair guy nearby offering a Homelite XL for $150.:msp_lol: He's not lying about being a "small" engine repair guy.:msp_biggrin:

Got a small engine repair guy nearby offering a Homelite XL for $150.:msp_lol: He's not lying about being a "small" engine repair guy.:msp_biggrin:

I recently sold a good running, nice looking Homelite XL for $45.00 on CL. I think $150 is a bit outside the usual price range, eh? The guy also bought a Super 2 parts saw with it (like new bar) for an additional $10.00.

There is a pro Mac 10-10 on cl for 150 in my area

Need to be fixing my truck so I can get the brute out there

If I needed a saw bad, I would spend that much on one. The PM10-10 the guy had for $60 was probably a good deal but I would only be interested in getting it to flip. If it needed a few things to make it right there wouldn't be any margin in it.

Sorta like the Mac 10-10. They are a good cutting saw but old school and just don't bring much money. I have a "pair" of them I'm putting straight and doubt I will be able to get $150 total for both. I mainly got them to "play" and once I have looked under their hood, I just move em on down the road. Someone will want them... I hope.... Have them both running now. Biggest pain is that I repaired the recoil on one of them and since then have found (in my parts washer) a plastic disk washer that is supposed to be under the recoil spring. After the war I already fought, I am trying to decide whether to re-take that hill or just hand the "extra parts" to the new owner and say, "Oh, by the way, this is supposed to go under the spring when you get a chance." lol

Latest posts

Back