Skill shp 1716 info???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nice feller

Reaction score
I am having a hard time finding anything out about a saw that came as a tag along with a 031 last year. I finnaly took a little interest I it and decided to try and get the the old timer running. Now the first issue I had was the fuel... cap says mix 16:1 gas/sae30w oil...and for some reason I had no sae30 weight oil that day so, and do correct me if I'm wrong, I assumed in the dinosaur days of this saw the quality of oil wasn't near what we can get today so I took my 50:1 and and filled the tank + an extra splash of oil = probably somewhere in the 32:1 to 40:1 mix, anyhow, there was no second issue, this old girl fired right up and ran fairly decent. I didn't run it long mostly because the chain was in piss poor shape but a concern for the mix as well. If any has info on this thing please let me know, any info on how safe/unsafe running on 2 stroke oil instead of the 30w would e appreciated as well

I think non detergent 30w was the 2 stroke oil of its day. I used to run 15 or 20 to 1 in my motorcycles, but 2 stroke oils, same with my chainsaws then. Now 5 oz to a gallon 28 to 1 is my mainstay, 50 to 1 when warranty can be an issue and most my for sale saws because most buyers use 50 to 1. You probably be alright whatever you choose. Me i would try 28 to1 with a known good 2 cycle cheaper oil in that old thing.

It’s the same saw as a power machinery 340 69cc. Had one out cutting yesterday. Reliable and my favourite sounding saw. I run 50:1. Been cutting firewood a few years with it. Good luck with yours

All my vintage equipment and soon enough my new equipment runs 32 to 1 with conventional 2 stroke oil(non synthetic). A lot of the older stuff into the 70’s called for 16 to 1 with SEA30 their really wasn’t 2 stroke oils in the 50’s and early 60’s they did come along later on but even then guys that had been around probably used SEA30 so they still have it that rating. You should be fine with modern oil at 32 or 40 to 1

Latest posts

Back